SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Wolf Ammunition and the Smith and Wesson M&P 15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Ammunition and the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
The Wolf Gold is brass, but I still won't use it.

You are missing out. Wolf Gold is excellent ammo. In fact it is one of the hotter commercial loads out there, coming closer to 5.56 m193 spec than many other offerings.

And that isn't just hearsay. I run all my ammo over a chrono so I can plug real numbers into Strelok.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
The Wolf Gold is brass, but I still won't use it.

You are missing out. Wolf Gold is excellent ammo. In fact it is one of the hotter commercial loads out there, coming closer to 5.56 m193 spec than many other offerings.

And that isn't just hearsay. I run all my ammo over a chrono so I can plug real numbers into Strelok.

Actually...from what I understand Wolf Gold is just the Taiwanese military M193...it shoots well in all three of my ARs...for $289 shipped per K it is GTG.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you take the time to closely examine a Mil Spec BCG you will find that as the bolt is cammed closed there are two seperate "stages" Stage One has the bolt fully rotated but in a postion that is a bit forward in the BCG, a position forward enough that the firing pin cannot clear the face of the bolt. Position Two has the Carrier fully engaged in the bolt and in this position the firing pin CAN project through the face of the bolt and strike the primer. Basically the BCG is designed that the firing pin can ONLY contact the primer AFTER the bolt is fully engaged in the locking position in the barrel extension.

My conclusion is that Wolf has had some case head failures during extraction that they are blaming on the rifle as OOB events. Probably due to a defect that happened during manufacture of the case. As for a rifle specific trait it's somewhat possible that the timing of the gas impulse driving the bolt carrier back and the specific shape of the chamber might introduce enough "drag" on the case during extraction to enhance the probability of a case head separation.

Personally since I make all my AR ammunition using Lake City brass I'm not effected by this at all. However those who purchase their ammunition may want to look for something other than Wolf.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wolf doesn't actually manufacture any of this stuff. That said this advisory has not enough info to mean anything. All it does is limit their liability and when someone does that we know that the whole story has yet to appear.
Their target market is low cost and at some point that will cause issues for some.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post