SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Buffer weights for tuning your AR: How do you organize them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffer weights for tuning your AR: How do you organize them? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am experimenting with my recoil/buffer/gas system on my 5.56 AR. I am slowly filling out a collection of different weights of buffers from 3.1 oz to 5.2 oz. I may also get the KAK lightweight set that goes from 1-2oz, for my adjustable gas block set-up.

My question is: what to do with all of them? I would like to have a handy way to organize them for storage but also for a trip to the range for tuning purposes.

Does anyone have a similar problem and a neat solution already?

I was thinking of something like this, possibly:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/98120A

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I use a set of kitchen scales and a magic marker to write the weight on each.
I even took one apart and remove two weights to make the 9X39 run till I got a can for it.
Gallon zip bag and with an assortment of main spring also

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I did use the kitchen scale and a label maker to mark all the weights on the buffers. I have reduce, standard, and extra power springs, as well. A Ziploc bag would wok, for those.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fishing lure boxes. The plastic boxes w multiple, adjustable compartments are perfect for organization. I have one made up for AR and pistol parts. Another is made up for the plethora of batteries that I carry.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Mostly keep them organized by storing them in different rifles. Wink

Rifle buffer's stock, H buffer is marked and my only lightweight buffer is obvious. Smile

Oh yeah... don't cut your buffer down and just expect it to work in a regular rifle, lol.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I build a new rifle and store them in that stock. Wink

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no real organization.

Have a couple of them in the parts box, take buffers & rifle to the range the first time I'm firing it, figure out what it likes and leave that buffer in the rifle, put the rest back in the parts box when I get home.

No need to over think this or drag a bunch of crap to the range.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have a few buffers of different weights in my range bag. If I'm bringing a new build to tune I'll make sure I have options available.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post