SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who is your preferred AR barrel brand?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is your preferred AR barrel brand? Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
I'm looking to finish my second AR with a 16" barrel, was trying to get a BCM mid-length but they are out of stock (as are most of their other barrels too).

My first AR I used a Daniel Defense 18" mid-length. They are out of stock too.

So what other barrel brands do you guys like to use?

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
i'm guessing FN is a pretty good barrel!! Good luck finding anything for the time being

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Faxon, Ballistic Advantage Premium, CMMG, and BCM barrels. All have been great, but I had an issue with a CMMG barrel that they took care with no issue.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a general purpose defensive rifle:
Colt
FN
Centurion
Daniel Defense
LMT

Colt is available at Apex Gun parts right now. Primary Arms has many FN options right now.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have barrels from Wilson Combat, DSC, Krieger, and Bartlein. The Krieger and Bartlein barrels are full-on competition barrels, and likely not what you want.

I have shot out 2 Wilsons, have 3 Wilson barrels in current use, and 2 more unused Wilson barrels in the basement -- when I shoot out current barrels. Their quality is among the best, and I highly recommend Wilson Combat. WC has 16" barrels available on their website.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I have barrels from Wilson Combat, DSC, Krieger, and Bartlein. The Krieger and Bartlein barrels are full-on competition barrels, and likely not what you want.

I have shot out 2 Wilsons, have 3 Wilson barrels in current use, and 2 more unused Wilson barrels in the basement -- when I shoot out current barrels. Their quality is among the best, and I highly recommend Wilson Combat. WC has 16" barrels available on their website.

What's the round count you're getting?

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of DD barrels, Faxon, FN, Colt for 5.56 guns. I also have a Wilson Combat and Criterion .308 barrels. All of them perform well enough, the DD and WC are the first places I check though.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I like laRue, FN, DD, Colt

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Colt
LMT

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
competition barrels, and likely not what you want.
You would be correct. Just want something for fun at the range and for defense.

I just ordered a Wilson Combat 16".

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind for rifle #3. Smile

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jc91087:
What's the round count you're getting?

I must start with how I use barrels. All mine are capable of competition, or at least training for competition. I don't do mag dumps. I do shoot in stages which require 20-40 rounds of fire in 2-3 minutes. The first 50-60% of the rounds of these stages are almost always for close and generously-sized targets, with pretty rapid fire. The final stage's steel targets are the most challenging -- generally 2-3 MOA in size, placed at 200-500 yards, usually in some kind of wind, often from less-than-perfect shooting positions, with time pressure, and while the barrel and suppressor are hot. Sometimes really hot.

Similar to what I recall occurs with High Power competitors, my stainless steel barrels begin to noticeably lose accuracy in the 4500 round ballpark. All my Wilson Combat barrels -- 14.5", 16", and 18" -- have been capable of at least 3/4 MOA accuracy. This accuracy doesn't occur once in a blue moon with 3-round rounds at 100 yards, like I so often see from keyboard experts. This 3/4 MOA accuracy is repeated 5-round groups at distances of 300-500 yards, in winds, with the right factory match ammo, every day I train. Every single day. These are 5.56 chambered barrels shooting 223-labeled ammo, generally Hornady and Federal.

When a barrel's accuracy opens up to 2 MOA at distance, it's toast for me. This happened on two different barrels in competition, and it really affected my scores in those matches. I'm now trying to catch accuracy degradation at levels of less than 2 MOA; maybe 1.5 MOA. The challenge with stainless barrels is that they tend to shoot really well right up to the point that accuracy takes a nose dive, with that nose dive occurring over as little as 100-200 rounds. I suspect there are shooters who would be happy to push my 2 MOA shot-out barrels for thousands of more rounds, but they're tomato stakes to me at that point.

Chromoly barrels have a similar round-count life, however their accuracy degradation starts earlier and is more gradual.

If accuracy isn't the highest priority, chrome lined barrels will provide longer life -- before throat erosion tanks accuracy. The downside to chrome lining is getting it applied evenly throughout the bore, which is challenging. Some companies just don't even try to do it. Look for discussions of chrome lining by Frank Green of Bartlein barrels. He states that Bartlein tested a bunch of 308-bore barrels with chrome lining. Some experienced chrome chipping as early as a few hundred rounds -- at which point the accuracy tanked. Others didn't experience that chrome lining flaking off, and they really lasted.

Hammer forged barrel supposedly provide longer barrel life, due to denser steel. I have one HF barrel -- 1/7 twist 14.5" -- in my LWRC upper. I have only 2000 rounds through it so far, so I can't comment on throat erosion and barrel life. But I can state that it is only sub-MOA accurate with Federal GMM 69 and Hornady 55 Vmax. And barely sub-MOA at that. And not all the time. Honestly, I'm not impressed. I haven't found any 75-77 grain ammo that it likes.

My 14.5" 1/8 WC barrel is 1/2 MOA accurate, and it proved it yet again last weekend.

Nitrided barrels offer the promise of chrome-lined toughness with bare stainless accuracy. I haven't tried one yet, but I hear the good ones deliver.

FWIW, Wilson Combat now offers some barrels with chrome lining. I haven't seen much feedback on them, but I suspect WC would only offer quality products.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR Performance

I have 16" 6.8 SPC II that is sub-MOA.

I also have an 18" .223 Wylde, which I have not finished building yet.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
These days I favor LaRue Stealth barrels for their combination of accuracy and cost/value.

16" for 3-gun, 20" for PRS gas gun.

Both are MOA barrels with match grade ammunition. Hand loaded 73 ELD for the 20", hand loaded 50 V-max for the 16".

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My 16" middy is a BCM pencil profile. Quite happy with it, but as you say, out of stock.

I built mine in the time post-Sandy Hook, when supply was nonexistent, so it took a while to find.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Shilen 20 incher in my Precision AR. Wasn't cheap but it will shoot sub 3/10 inch groups at 100 yards rested front and rear. Off a bipod I've managed under 1/2 inch and one fine day was under 4/10.

For my 300 BLK I went with a 16 inch Wilson Combat barrel and cannot complain. With a 3-9 scope in a Burris quick change mount it will shoot right at 3/4 MOA off a bipod but I normally shoot it with irons and am quite happy if I'm at 2 inches or less.

As for my run adn gun AR that is a 16 inch rifle with an Odin Works barrel, also capable of 3/4 MOA off a bipod with that same quick change scope.

Note, both 16 inch rifles have mid weight barrel profiles and the 20 inch precision AR weighs in at a touch over 11 lbs with a full 20 round mag and the 3-12X Nikon 223 scope. One slight negative is that Shilen barrel is not light. If I ever decide to build another AR it will be in 6.5 Creedmore and it will have a Shilen barrel.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a problem: if I see a CHF CL Daniel Defense barrel for sale on a forum, I just about have to buy it. 10.3 or 16...I’m a sucker.

I did luck into a NOS 8.3 FN CHF CL 300 BLK barrel that has been excellent and, based on that, picked up a parted out FN 16” CHF barrel from a PSA upper.

I did a run with Ballistic Advantage and liked them but something about CL CHF.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I like precision in my shooting.
I have used a LOT of Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrels in a variety of calibers.
ALL are extremely accurate and all were Shilen blanks I believe, not sure who they sue now days.
I also have a White Oak Armament SDM 20" in 223 wylde that is a absolute joy to shoot.
The one Daniel Defense barrel I installed is by far the worst and most inaccurate of all of my rifles but I got it as it was a very lightweight pencil barrel.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
If you can get a PSA barrel, I believe they are all made in the FN plant in South Carolina.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
For me the selection of a barrel manufacturer is entirely dependant on what I'm using the barrel for. In a target gun it's going to be stainless and it going to see nothing but match grade ammo, preferably the same ammo every time because I keep a score book and can refer back to earlier sight settings and know my POA\POI will be consistant. Douglass, Criterion, Kreiger, Hart, and Bartelin are all tried and true match barrel makers.

For anything else I stick with the tried and true chrome lined barrel from Colt, DD , Bravo Company, FN, or anyone else producing a USGI type product. These days most are out of stock, but I'd think twice before droping money on something I've never heard of. In just my little circle of shooters I've seen an almost 40% return rate on barrels from mostly unknown makers because they just wouldn't shoot from the get go.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Criterion barrels are excellent in my experience.

It's good to have options.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post