SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What difference does 5oz make?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What difference does 5oz make? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I found a gen 1 UBR (perhaps I should just say "UBR" as the gen 2 is still vaporware) for $200. If I understand everything, I'd just lose the limited rotation part of the QD sockets, the ability to use the VLTOR A5 buffer system (which I have no clue of what it is), and gain 5oz of weight if I opt to not wait for the new UBR.

I'm using a 16" BCM light-weight barrel under a 13.7" SLR ION Ultra-Lite rail, which will at times have a can on it. Will this thing be unwieldy w/o a can? Would the extra 5oz weight make much difference?

Staring at the pile of parts is getting to me. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got a UBR for free. Used it a day and gave it back because I didn't like the weight. (gave it back to the guy who bought it and didn't use it because he didn't like the weight. Wink )

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
5oz can be a tremendous about, or it can be absolutely meaningless.

For a rifle that gets carried from the truck to the bench, and then only shot from a bench (or prone), then carried back to the truck - 5oz is something you won't even notice.

For a rifle that gets carried a lot, and shot a little, like a hunting rifle, you may or may not notice it. Depends how sensitive you are to carrying that extra 5 oz.

For a rifle that gets carried a lot and shot a lot from unsupported positions (a deployed soldier, a competition shooter (3GUN, PRS, etc)), 5oz can REALLY fuck up a weapon system as it can mess with the balance.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I love my UBR equipped rifles but it is important for a rifle to be well balanced.

The ACS-L will give similar cheek weld but much less weight. It is not as rock solid though.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I guess that's what I'm getting at....how much weight at the muzzle end balances out the UBR?

I suspect with a can, it'll be fine. And with a long-ish metal forearm and a big honkin' muzzle device, it MIGHT work out.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the original UBR's and installed it on a 16" carbine. Ugg. Took it off soon thereafter. It really added a lot of weight to the ass end. I puled it and sold it. Personally I think it would be great on a 24" varmint gun; a carbine, no way.

If you want to demo it duct tape a brick to your stock and shoot it off hand for a few magazines.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I said "Screw waiting".....ACS-L on the way. Big Grin

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
If any of the wayward UBRs here need a home my email is in profile.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I said "Screw waiting".....ACS-L on the way. Big Grin

Dangit I was on my way back in to tell you that a UBR balances out a can on a 16" rifle very nicely.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LOL well, I will have three ARs sharing a can so it will be "without" most of the time. And when I get TWO cans, then I could always get the UBR.

What scopes do you have on those?? PX5i and a Strike Eagle?

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL well, I will have three ARs sharing a can so it will be "without" most of the time. And when I get TWO cans, then I could always get the UBR.

What scopes do you have on those?? PX5i and a Strike Eagle?

T5Xi and a Razor.

Razor turrets and illumination control are far superior. I actually like the Steiner reticle better than the JM-1 in the Vortex. Glass is equitable with a slight nod to the Razor. Steiner is lighter even though it is longer. I wish I had a mount with slightly more eye relief for the Steiner.

You will like the ACS-L.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you slide the whole mount up a little onto your rail?

And how does it balance WITHOUT the can??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In short, it depends on the rifle / setup / individual.

I had an UBR once. Once. Wink

BCM Gunfighter Stocks FTW, these days. Big Grin

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
My wife gave me a UBR as a present a few years ago.
I had it mounted on my go-to carbine for a while but it ended up on a range-only 22lr gun instead. The weight is noticeable. It does balance a suppressed front-heavy gun nicely.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, how would the original UBR work on an SPRish weapon versus the new one? 18" barrel, Mlok 15" forehand, and mid power variable scope.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
You guys are no help at all. My fun fund hates you.

Ordered the Gen 1 UBR, gonna try them both out. LOL

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:

Put me second in line.
I have these on 2 or three rifles and have no complaints.

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:

Put me second in line.
I have these on 2 or three rifles and have no complaints.

Sorry I didn't meet you guys earlier. Sold mine for .25 cents on the dollar. A piece of garbage I was glad to get rid of.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Couldn't you slide the whole mount up a little onto your rail?

I could but I am hesitant to. The rail is very rigid, and the mount is rigid too. But I am cautious about any flex in the rail translating to a shift in zero if I did that.

quote:

And how does it balance WITHOUT the can??

Excellent. The balance point of the rifle is roughly in the forward 1/3 of the magwell. To me, it feels great.

However, I can't argue that the overall weight of the rifle isn't somewhat hefty.

I'm not rucking it 20 miles at a time, so I'm good with it.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
So, how would the original UBR work on an SPRish weapon versus the new one? 18" barrel, Mlok 15" forehand, and mid power variable scope.

Bottom rifle:

18" MK12 barrel.
15" Keymod handguard
Vortex Razor 1-6x.

IMHO the UBR balances this rifle out perfectly.