SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington Versa Max vs. Remington V3 questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Versa Max vs. Remington V3 questions. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I get that the new V3 has 8 ports instead of the 7 found in the original Versa Max. And I get that Remington claims that with 8 ports it’s more reliable.

However, that doesn’t really ring true. Remington originally claimed the Versa Max would shoot anything. anywhere, and anytime. In my experience, that is correct. My Versa Max Tactical has been 100% reliable with everything and anything including mixing different shell lengths and types in the magazine at the same time. So, how does the 8th port really improve on that?

In addition, what is the true downside of the 7 port Versa Max? Does the 8th port reduce wear and tear on your gun if you are shooting magnum 3” loads? If so, shouldn’t Remington recommend you not shoot 3.5” loads in the Versa Max? After all, the V3 is not chambered in 3.5”.

Is it not so much just the extra port but the new design changes that make it more reliable? But if that is so, then why is the Versa Max more expensive than a V3? Wouldn’t the V3 become the new flagship model with a corresponding price difference? I get the V3 only shoots 3” shells and the Versa Max can shoot 3.5” shells. But, in the case of the Versa Max Competition and Competition Tactical, they don’t recommend you shoot 3.5” shells in them because of problems with the magazine tube. So again, what is really going on? At best, shouldn’t they be priced similarly and you just pick the one the matches your needs?

In short, is this more marketing than substance or is there something to the extra port and design changes? If so, are these changes significantly enough of an advantage that I should sell my Versa Max Tactical and buy a V3 Tactical (assuming one could be found first)?

Finally, does anyone know if the V3 Tactical barrel, which is 18” long, will fit and work in the Versa Max Tactical? I emailed Remington this question about a day before they filed for bankruptcy and I haven’t heard back from them.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the answers To your questions.

Offhand, I would say that the V3 has a better balance point because the receiver, where the recoil system is located, is shorter. I would also agree that 3.5” shells are only useful to a small subset of waterfowlers. The two Guns, while both use a Versa port system, are not the same at all and no parts are interchangeable between them. The V3 is not just a Versa-Max with a 3” chamber. For example, the recoil system is different.

Randy Wakeman would have your answer though. He hangs out on Shotgunworld Forum and has a lot of experience with the V3.

Here is one of his answers to a similar question as yours ...

“ The reason to avoid 3-1/2 inch 12 gauges is the weight, bulk, and extra receiver length: the comparatively ponderous handling of an 8 lb. gun to a 7-1/4 lb. gun......The V3 is a better gun, with a far better trigger, better handling, a magazine cut-off, no mainspring tube in the buttstock, etc., etc. It's your choice.”

If you are interested in tactical I would think the v3 is the better platform because the rear stock can be in any configuration as there are no springs in it to account for.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
My VersaMax has been the best shotgun I ever owned. Low recoil and eats anything I feed it. Mine is used mostly for waterfowl so I shoot a bunch of 3 and 3.5 with no issues and haven't seen the first bit of wear. The only thing I had to fix was my front bead, but I broke it in a duck blind.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I thought I might have to head over to Shotgun World but wanted to ask here first.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post