SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I'd Like to Build a Varmint AR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd Like to Build a Varmint AR Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Get that good barrel, get some reasonable glass, and get some time behind the butt of the gun. These three things will go a long ways to owning an accurate AR.

This, by God, is what I am trying to do. I'm not trying to build the most accurate AR ever, I don't have the budget for that. I am trying to build an AR that will challenge, teach and reward me.

I truly appreciate the help and advice you are all so generously providing.

Do you think it is better to buy a built upper, even if that is $750 bucks from someone like White Oak or Compass Lake, or buy components and have it assembled, for a similar cost?

Having it built, depending on who does it, maybe just as good as a pre-built, or better if you can specify exactly what you want. On the other hand, a pre-built may come with an accuracy warranty and will be more "mainstream" and built to match factory ammo. That makes a pre-built a better idea for you, I should think.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Do you think it is better to buy a built upper, even if that is $750 bucks from someone like White Oak or Compass Lake, or buy components and have it assembled, for a similar cost?

If you have a good 'smith nearby, then buying the components and having the gunsmith assemble them makes sense.

If you don't have a working relationship with a local 'smith, then CLE or White Oak makes a lot of sense.

I'm fortunate to have a local gunsmith who is talented, reasonably priced, and an avid competitor in the same types of matches I enter. As a result, I give him most of my business.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post