SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I went to the farm to do a little shooting today ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I went to the farm to do a little shooting today ... Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
30 mph winds ... Made pistol a challenge

Then I decided to try zeroing the Aresnal SLG95 at 25, then see how it would do at about 100, I was shooting off the back of my truck (it has a hard tonneau cover) I was able to squeeze off a few rounds between gusts ... And was pretty happy with the results; it was my last 5 rounds, 2 to the "head" 3 center of mass ... with the 3x scope I couldn't even see if I'd hit the target until I went down to retrieve it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
LOL, thats a hilarious first pic. Glad you made it out there though! Always a good time shooting out at the farm!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It was fun but after only about 2 hours, I just felt beat up!

The cardboard box you can see the edge of is actually about 3'x5' and with the help of some discarded steel fence posts I was able to trap it well enough to put a couple targets and practice a bit with my HK53 clone and Omega MP5SD ... It was also solid enough to get a few rounds through the CZ75 and what I used to get my 25zero on the AK

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Nice AK. I’ve had the same wind problems last few trips to the range. Might as well make a kite target.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems familiar to my neck of the woods/prairie. Where I can see a two 50-ish tower wind farms from my range.

A couple of weeks ago I had to time my rifle shots with how the wind was swinging 3/8" thick 12" plates. The wind moved the plates more than impacts with my 308.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Didn’t you see that Angelina Jolie movie? Just put some English on it and make the bullet curve.

Same wind issues here the last week plus though. Tired of hearing my roof rattle.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Didn’t you see that Angelina Jolie movie? Just put some English on it and make the bullet curve.

Same wind issues here the last week plus though. Tired of hearing my roof rattle.

I don't remember the title either but it was entertaining ... the rats reminded me of the movie Ben with Michael Jackson a few decades ago ...

Tired of the roof rattling and the flue in the fireplace squeaking here too!

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The SLR 95 has to be one of if not the best operating AK rifles on the market. It's a shame that they have to come in as sporters.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Seems familiar to my neck of the woods/prairie. Where I can see a two 50-ish tower wind farms from my range.

A couple of weeks ago I had to time my rifle shots with how the wind was swinging 3/8" thick 12" plates. The wind moved the plates more than impacts with my 308.

This isn't a wind farm ... he has a house there but is only there 3-4 months of the year its 80 acres that he (or more likely someone else) mostly grows hay on but every few years they plant beans ... there are a berms at 25, 100, 300, 400 and 500 ... but to access the 500 you have to shoot across a creek a field and kind of a ravine ... its easier to drive around than to get there as the bullet flies Smile

I almsost sprayed coffee when I saw
"The wind moved the plates more than impacts with my 308."

posted Hide Post
Today's weather forecast for our family ranch:

"Snow likely, mainly after 5pm. Cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 28 by 5pm. Very windy, with a north wind 37 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible."

I won't be shooting there today. I doubt the neighbors will be outside today, either. I wish I could judge distances better on the prairie. One row of wind turbines might be a 5-ish miles away -- the towers are naked eye visible in clear air. The other row is further away and requires magnified optics to see. But both are clearly visible at night, due to the blinking warning lights on the towers.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post