SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    H&R Handi-rifle comments solicited
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&R Handi-rifle comments solicited Login/Join 
posted
I have a NIB one in .243 compact inbound. Please offer comments on the handi-rifle. i would like to hear your experience with them.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I took one on a trade. It had a pretty heavy trigger pull. You could pick the rifle up by the trigger and it wouldn't go off. I didn't bother trying to shoot it.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've had my H&R SB-2 Ultra 22" bull barelled 1:12 twist .223 since 1995. Works great with bullet weights of 65gr and less. A lot of fun, very reliable and accurate.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one in 45-70. It was accurate and reliable. But the recoil was worse than being hit by the bullet. Quite a thumper!
243 should be a great caliber for the Handi Rifle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have one in 223. The trigger is (ahem) a bit on the heavy side....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I've had my H&R SB-2 Ultra 22" bull barelled 1:12 twist .223 since 1995. Works great with bullet weights of 65gr and less. A lot of fun, very reliable and accurate.

That's a beautiful rig!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I had one in 300 Blackout that I put a suppressor on. It was fun to shoot. I don't remember it having a heavy trigger. It was very accurate. I wish now I hadn't let a friend of mine talk me in to selling it to him.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Drag, Low Speed!
Picture of Heatmiser
posted Hide Post

Gets the job done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Heatmiser,

“Sons of Bitches! Take this blindfold off and let me see my bride!"

Posts: 667 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a .243 in a trade, older one that actually ejects. Had cheap scope on it, no iron sights. Swapped scopes, it shoots well, never used it for serious hunting. Stays by the door of the hunting cabin, eliminated more than a few varmints. Good gun for the truck, if it gets stolen, no big loss and not likely to be used in a mass shooting.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of them and like them.
.357, 44mag, .223, and a .308.
I would certainly pick up others if I run across any good deals!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one in .22 Hornet. Accurate and fun. Planned on rechambering it to .22 K-Hornet for varmit shoots at our range. Never got around to it.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heatmiser:

Gets the job done.
Looks just like mine. What caliber is this one?

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

High Drag, Low Speed!
Picture of Heatmiser
posted Hide Post
I bought it several years ago used. Was going to re-scope it, but when I went to sight it in it shot acceptable to me, so I left it as is. Tasco 3 x 9.

To scope it, be aware of clearance for the hammer and access to the hammer. Mine has "knob" on the right side of the hammer so I can cock it. It wouldn't be accessible without it. I am not sure if that is a standard feature or an add on.
I guess taller scope rings would solve the clearance issue, I just use it as I bought it. I am not sure how it was configured from factory. I have shot about 40 to 50 rounds of factory ammo through it over the years I have had it and no problems.

“Sons of Bitches! Take this blindfold off and let me see my bride!"

Posts: 667 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I had one in .243 and wish I had kept it. It was a great shooter, and the trigger was crisp even if a little heavy. But I sold it off or traded it, can't remember now.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post