SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    School me on AR15 magazines...(EDIT)...LANCER magazine now on sale at Brownells $129.99 for 10 w/ free shipping.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on AR15 magazines...(EDIT)...LANCER magazine now on sale at Brownells $129.99 for 10 w/ free shipping. Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
EDIT...

http://www.brownells.com/magaz...30-rd-prod95203.aspx

Free shipping on orders over $49 with code M6S at checkout

I am a firm believer on Para's "things are quiet" thread from the bygone days...so stock up on what you need Smile

I have purchased PMAGS (10 Gen 2 for $79.00 from Brownell's) as well as a couple of GI aluminum mags...

One brand I am considering is Lancer magazines...the idea of a translucent body is appealing and the steel feed lips sounds good...

What say you SIGForum...are they worth the extra bucks?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I use both Lancers and Pmags. Pmags I use for 300 blackout Lancers for my 5.56, so one does not go into the other.

I have never had an issue with either. The ability to see into the mag is why I use them. I have fished more debris out of the lancers than any other because I can see it.

I really don't think there is a performance increase or decrease. They are just reliable.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I only had one mag for whatever theoretical reason, I'd rather it be a lancer than anything else.

So if you don't buy a lot of mags, then I say buy Lancers.

However if you stack 100's of mags everywhere and always have tons available when you go shooting, then buy pmags.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it's PMAGs for hoarding and USGI aluminum mags for shooting (and hoarding).

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lancer L5 AWM is my favorite magazines.
I have U.S.G.I, MagPul, Hexmag, Troy, Daniel Defense, and Amend2.

The Lancer magazines work better in all my AR 15's. As in they seam to drop free from just about all of them. I have yet had a feeding problem with them.

All the other, except for the Amend2 have performed well, I just don't know about them yet as I only have one and haven't used it much. So far it has worked perfectly in the two AR 15's that I used it in.

I have broke the floor plates on acouple of Troy magazines, they have a lifetime warranty and an email had new ones on the way.

I got the Troy's on the cheap on sale, for $5.99 each. I have never had a failure in feeling with them, but the broken floor plates do worry me, so I can't recommend them.

The Hexmag magazines have worked perfectly fine for me. They haven't malfunctioned at all. They drop free from most of my AR 15's. Can be found cheap.

Daniel Defense 32 round magazines, sofar have been working well. I have only afew and haven't used them very long, but they have been working well for me.

MagPul, well it's MagPul. I have several in different generations and all function well, some don't want to fall free from some of my AR 15's.

They are cheap enough on sale to stack deep. So I have the most of them besides the U.S.G.I magazines.

U.S.G.I. magazines, there are afew quality ones out there. I do upgrade them with the MagPul follower. Again they are cheap enough to stack deep.

Yet out of all of them, the Lancer magazines are my favorite.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've used every possible manufacturer of USGI mags...

I've also used some polymer mags that were made in Wilson NC. I think that they were labeled "master mold" or Thermold...I've also used a few Pmags

they all work for what they are designed to do....

The only difference is that when you drive over a metal one, they will never work again...the plastic ones survive when a co-workers backs over your mag and drives off the line...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I use both Lancers and Pmags. Pmags I use for 300 blackout Lancers for my 5.56, so one does not go into the other.

Minor thread drift.....I do the same thing. LOL They're even color-coded. FDE furniture on the .300 carbine, FDE PMAGs for .300. Black furniture on the 5.56mm rifles, translucent smoke Lancers for 5.56mm.

Back to OP, PMAGs are the shiznit and pretty cheap. Lancers are good too, though a little more expensive (YMMV).

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
TH bulk of my mags are Pmags as well. for 7.00 I dont even buy USGI mags anymore. I also have some Lancers, USGI and Daniel Defense. The Daniel Defense are my go to right now and in all my primary guns and mag pouches. I like the extra 2 rounds and yellow follower. I havent had an issue to date. The USGI have been relegated to practice. Lancers/pmags make up the bulk of the general use mags. While I have a lifetime worth of mags, I typically use the same dozen or so at the range which are split evenly among the above listed mags.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Unless you catch them on sale, the Lancers are generally almost twice a much as you can acquire Pmags for.

I really prefer the Lancer design, but if you're stocking up for the sake of stocking up, it's hard to beat the Pmags.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Unless you catch them on sale, the Lancers are generally almost twice a much as you can acquire Pmags for.

I really prefer the Lancer design, but if you're stocking up for the sake of stocking up, it's hard to beat the Pmags.

Yep, but once you have a stockpile of Pmags to beat on its time to buy the Cadillac of mags.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just placed an order for Lancer translucent grey 30 round magazines from Brownell's...they are on sale for $129.99 for 10 which sounded like a reasonable price...

http://www.brownells.com/magaz...30-rd-prod95203.aspx

Also free shipping on orders over $49 with code MS6 at checkout...

To take advantage of a $20 off $200 coupon they sent me with my last order...I took a chance on these Amend2 magazines for $62.99 for 10...tossed in a few screwdriver bits I needed to make the $200 threshold...everything cost me a few cents over $180 shipped...I'm happy Razz

http://www.brownells.com/magaz...ent=sale%26clearance

The local toy store that specializes in AR stuff sells them and told me they sell a ton of them and he never heard complaints...

For a little over $6 bucks apiece I'll give them a try...plus Brownell's is great on returns if I don't like them Smile

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
For Brownell's, if you use code LDD, it's $10 off & free shipping for orders over $99; it'll get your Lancer 10-pack down to $119.99 shipped.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
For Brownell's, if you use code LDD, it's $10 off & free shipping for orders over $99; it'll get your Lancer 10-pack down to $119.99 shipped.

No identification with actual administrators is intended or should be inferred. Big Grin

I personally keep Lancer AWMs on hand as my go-to magazines.

Yes, they are more expensive, but I prefer having the steel feed lips w/plastic body over plastic/plastic construction.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

No identification with actual administrators is intended or should be inferred. Big Grin

Yeah, whatever. We all know you get kickbacks from such promotions that borrow your word-renowned user name, especially when the product is your magazine of choice. Rumor has it from a prior promotion you scored the entire Rick Astley hit collection on high-def Betamax cassettes. What might you expect this time? Maybe the Benny Mardones set?

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
When you guys use the term, "stocking up on mags", how many mags are we talking? I have about 30 and I have the feeling that is chump change!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
When you guys use the term, "stocking up on mags", how many mags are we talking? I have about 30 and I have the feeling that is chump change!

30 sounds good...seriously...what will be the odds you will ever need 30 AR mags...probably zero (I've already sold the 10 Amend2 mags I have yet to receive from Brownells for a little more than I gave for them Razz)...I really think in the real world a couple of dozen mags (or maybe less) you will actually use will suffice Big Grin YMMV...but, I think you are GTGO.

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

30 sounds good...seriously...what will be the odds you will ever need 30 AR mags...probably zero (I've already sold the 10 Amend2 mags I have yet to receive from Brownells for a little more than I gave for them Razz)...I really think in the real world a couple of dozen mags (or maybe less) you will actually use will suffice Big Grin YMMV...but, I think you are GTGO.

I like the amend2 mags and they're even cheaper than pmags usually...

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you guys use the term, "stocking up on mags", how many mags are we talking?

Well how many AR's are we talking?
I'd consider 30 per gun light but at least in the hunt. My calculation is always at the failure rate I know I get running in matches versus when will I run out of mags or life expectancy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Yeah, whatever. We all know you get kickbacks from such promotions that borrow your word-renowned user name, especially when the product is your magazine of choice. Rumor has it from a prior promotion you scored the entire Rick Astley hit collection on high-def Betamax cassettes.

I gave up on Brownells after they let me down:

No matter which betamax cassette I put it, they all play the same song.

I think you can guess which one it is.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also 30 off 300 with free shipping, L9Q.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post