SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shooting My Grandfather's 1862 Peabody
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting My Grandfather's 1862 Peabody Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
This one is chambered in .43 Spanish, the brass and casting mold had to come from Belgium, so 100 cases was $500.

It's been in my family forever and has always just hung up in the attic until our older brother retired, got bored and set out to see if he could make it shoot again.

This old rifle hasn't been shot in over 100 years since the Franco-Prussian war.

He is going to take it to Oklahoma and kill an Elk with it now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My God stuff like this is a thrill and so satisfying to shoot.

And hell these days probably easier to feed. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That was awesome! And it slings empties Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
That was awesome! And it slings empties Smile

Hell it would do an HK91 proud. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing this old rifle.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That is damned cool. Would be really interested to hear a followup on how it performs in the field.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twelve dollars a piece!!!!!Glad he got it shooting again though!

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, coincidentally, yesterday I shot a Colt Lightning rifle that has been in my family for over 100 years for the first time with cast-lead black powder 44-40 loads.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I really I enjoy this kind of stuff- thanks for sharing.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thank you for sharing this. On a side note, you and your brother’s voices sound nearly identical.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
This one is chambered in .43 Spanish, the brass and casting mold had to come from Belgium, so 100 cases was $500.

It's been in my family forever and has always just hung up in the attic until our older brother retired, got bored and set out to see if he could make it shoot again.

This old rifle hasn't been shot in over 100 years since the Franco-Prussian war.

He is going to take it to Oklahoma and kill an Elk with it now.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LiXMBi23lLM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Geez I haven't seen you guys for so long. Nice old rifle you have there.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Geez I haven't seen you guys for so long. Nice old rifle you have there.

You're always welcome to come up here and shoot!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Living History.

Thanks for sharing.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That is incredibly cool, as was the pinfire you posted in the pistols section. Looks like you guys had a great day on the range shooting some really unique stuff! Thanks for sharing...I enjoy seeing this stuff and learning about it.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Richard has a Fusil Gras mle 1874 he's working on getting going I bought for him for Christmas.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. I have a "pistol" brought back from Afghanistan and given to me, that is that same action type scenario. Can't recall what it was called right this second, British something rifle cut down.

Anyway, that is excellent. Keep up the good work.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
That is awesome. I have a "pistol" brought back from Afghanistan and given to me, that is that same action type scenario. Can't recall what it was called right this second, British something rifle cut down.

Martini Henry

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir that's it

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post