SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A in 6.5 CM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1A in 6.5 CM Login/Join 
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted
Anyone have one or know anything about them. Particularly interested in how accurate they are at 800-1000 yards, i.e., will they hold 1 MOA or better past 500. They advertise that they are 1000 yard guns so have been looking at them. I am familiar with the 6.5 as I have three bolt actions chambered in it but the idea of an auto loader is very appealing. I primarily shoot prairie dogs and try to stay in the 500-1000+ range so wondering if it would do the job at those ranges.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Holding 1 MOA for any M1A/M14 is dependent on the quality of the barrel and the quality of the build that the builder put into it.

I would not expect an M1A that was basically a loaded, but built with a 6.5 CM barrel to consistently hold 1 MOA or better at any distance. I'd expect 1.5 to 2 MOA.

Now if it was run through their custom shop, I'd expect close to that, or if the rifle was built by a reputable builder with good parts and a good rifle.

The JAE chassis is my favorite drop-in chassis for long range accuracy out of an M14 but it costs $1,200 more than a McMillan stock. You'd need a superior scope mounting solution and a tuned trigger to reap the benefits of an M14 chambered in the 6.5CM.

Criterion offers a 6.5CM medium weight barrel ($475) as does Bula Defense.

I'm supposed to have a Bula 6.5 inbound for testing but I'm still waiting.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info benny6. It kind of mirrors the thoughts I was having. A 1.5-2 MOA rifle would not be worth the efforts since hitting those little critters with a sub MOA rifle still depends on a lot of luck at range.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It generally takes a lot of gunsmithing and mo eye to make an M1A hyper accurate. If it were me I would stick with the bolt.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post