SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Military AR7 and M6 Survival rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military AR7 and M6 Survival rifles Login/Join 
posted
I was watching a couple of videos on you tube about these 2 rifles. The Air Force issued them out from the 1950's up until the 1970's.

Does anyone know if there are any documented times that these were used in a survival situation by any of the air crews? My Google searches didn't really turn anything up.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The USAF issued the M4 survival rifle made by Harrington & Richardson, and later the M6 over/under survival gun made by Ithaca. I don't know of any specific times that they were actually used as intended.

The AR-7 made by Armalite was not used by the US military. It was based on Armalite's earlier AR-5 design, which had been approved for use by the Air Force, but never actually purchased or used outside of a dozen rifle for testing.

The AR-7 was primarily sold on the US civilian market, although a small number were sold to the Israeli Defense Force for use as pilot survival rifles.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The only time I ever read about them bing "used" was officers trying to shoot skeet with them. Big Grin

There was an AR-5, a bolt action Hornet with a stock like the AR-7.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My M6 is a Springfield Armory w/o the "trigger" guard loop. (you can squeeze it with Arctic mittens on)
After shooting a few rounds of 22 Hornet, I knew that small game with the .410 was probably a more sure thing.

As to whether any air crews actually used them, I have no idea.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had hornet/410 for a while. I learned it was possible to shoot the Hornet accurately, but it took practice (which no air crew woukd have), and the method doesn't always lend itself to shooting game in the field.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post