SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Carbine - with rear sight ground off (Update with pics pg 2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Carbine - with rear sight ground off (Update with pics pg 2) Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Well, I fixed it.

You know how there's guys that will see a brown recluse and call the exterminator, and then there's guys that will see one and burn the house down?

I'm that second guy. Smile

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Requested pics of the sight "installation"

And an example of how it "should" be on the Inland I bought to go with it.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Oi.

What a shame.

It looks Lymanesque, but someone really should not have done that.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Meh, it could be worse. Otherwise it's a pretty darn nice M1 Carbine, and I likes 'dem.

I want to follow up on those $350.00 M1 Carbines lyman mentioned...
Ain't none of them around these parts. It takes at least $700 to get out of the Frankenstein level ones.
I direly need a Underwood receiver for a rescue.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
You are precisely correct, Arc. Especially since it seems like many - if not all - of the parts inside are Winchester as well. (I'm still learning my markings on these). I mean, it's not like somebody took a hack-saw to it, but it would be better if somebody had not done that to a Winchester.

I took my issue of buying or passing to my gunshop owning friend down the road, to get some more info. In the course of explaining it, and hearing his advice, he mentioned he had one. Not "correct", but a decent Inland that was obviously re-stocked that he would sell me at a reasonable price. It was a deal I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. And then went and bought the Winchester anyway. Smile Cause I'm dumb like that. I figured maybe shoot them both, see which is better, put the best parts on the best shooter, and sell the other as a re-stocked mix-master.

But in all reality, I'll probably just keep 'em both.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, opinions, and information on these rifles.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that your new carbine with a late sight, has a flat bolt...

The bastard sight has a round bolt, OK, but who cares because Bubboom.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It is also worth noting that M1 Carbines were not built "parts correct" so such is irrelevant. Not that it didn't happen, it just has no bearing on a "correct" carbine.

Arc.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I believe (or have been told) that round bolts were later production - perhaps in re-arsenal? - because some of the flat bolts were cracking.

Of course the bayo lug means they were probably both re-arsenaled (is that a word?) after the second world war, but I'm pretty sure the Winchester - because of the low serial - was a WWII era gun. Not as sure - or as familiar - with the Inlands.

If it ever stops being colder than well digger's ankles here, I'll take them to the farm and see if either one will shoot straight.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
M1 Carbines are a rabbit hole, in a variety of ways.

The late sight should also accompany a round bolt, generally. The bayo band, sight, and round bolt are all improvements gathered for oh, Korea.

The round bolt was really due to the M3.

You can also look at the stocks of each, to try to glean more info.

The late sight is what you want anyway, early sights are shit.

As far as what is "correct," it is not at all just "matching."

Replace all the springs. Get some fresh magazines. Don't worry about anything else.

As far as Mr. Grindy, I'd get an Ultimak rail and red dot for that bad boy.

Arc.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you referencing the night sight version, or another M3?

If the former, did they have the rear sight turned down to accommodate the scope/night equipment? Just a thought.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Meh, it could be worse. Otherwise it's a pretty darn nice M1 Carbine, and I likes 'dem.

I want to follow up on those $350.00 M1 Carbines lyman mentioned...
Ain't none of them around these parts. It takes at least $700 to get out of the Frankenstein level ones.
I direly need a Underwood receiver for a rescue.

if you reread my post, I mentioned I would not pay full boat, maybe 1/2 for that one,

as it sets, it may be worth $350 in parts, or more, depending on how they are marked,

and yes, prices are stupid for some, however I have picked up and sold some beater Blue Sky's for almost that cheap,

re that underwood, I may have some coming to me from a collection, (receivers) if I get an underwood, I'll reach out,

also check James River, they had a bunch of different receivers listed not that long ago on the parts page of their website, not sure if they still do or not

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Oi.

What a shame.

It looks Lymanesque, but someone really should not have done that.

hey!!

I got nothing in this!! Big Grin

(it's a Williams, as mentioned in the OP)

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
M1 Carbines are a rabbit hole, in a variety of ways.

The late sight should also accompany a round bolt, generally. The bayo band, sight, and round bolt are all improvements gathered for oh, Korea.

You can also look at the stocks of each, to try to glean more info.

The late sight is what you want anyway, early sights are shit.

As far as what is "correct," it is not at all just "matching."

Replace all the springs. Get some fresh magazines. Don't worry about anything else.

As far as Mr. Grindy, I'd get an Ultimak rail and red dot for that bad boy.

remember, the upgrades (Sight and Bayo lug) were one thing, if it had a flat bolt and it was in spec, it was left during rebuilds, and the upgrade to adj rear and bayo

not all were tossed for rounds, and the round were primarily for the M2 conversions

and yes, Carbine Collectors are probably the most OCD collector out there,

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
. . . the round were primarily for the M2 conversions

This. The purpose of the round bolt was to slow the rate of automatic fire in the M2. With the advent of the M2, the round bolt became standard for both late production M1 as well as M2 Carbines.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like an aftermarket stock as well, but in it's condition as a shooter only, it really doesn't matter.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
It looks like an aftermarket stock as well, but in it's condition as a shooter only, it really doesn't matter.

Which? The Winchester? I thought that was a legit stock.

If you mean the Inland, I agree. I'm about 99% sure that's a repro' stock, but I thought the Winchester was correct for the era.

Just to clarify, the darker wood on the left is the Winchester with the turned down rear sight. The lighter wood with the correct sight on the right is the Inland.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The Winchester is in a high wood stock. That all by itself is worth a bit 'O coin.

A recent American Riflsman issue had a short story on a Winchester carbine with the same rear sight. It must have been somewhat common back in the day.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:

Which? The Winchester? I thought that was a legit stock.

If you mean the Inland, I agree. I'm about 99% sure that's a repro' stock, but I thought the Winchester was correct for the era.

Just to clarify, the darker wood on the left is the Winchester with the turned down rear sight. The lighter wood with the correct sight on the right is the Inland.

Sorry, I was looking at the Inland with the hardwood stock. I should have realized that from the sight, but wasn't passing good enough attention!

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
A recent American Riflsman issue had a short story on a Winchester carbine with the same rear sight.

If you could tell me which issue, I'd really like to place a WTB ad for a copy of the magazine. That would be a nice bit of kit to keep with the rifle for my kids to have someday.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
A recent American Riflsman issue had a short story on a Winchester carbine with the same rear sight.

If you could tell me which issue, I'd really like to place a WTB ad for a copy of the magazine. That would be a nice bit of kit to keep with the rifle for my kids to have someday.

I may still have it. If I do it's yours.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post