SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Carbine - with rear sight ground off (Update with pics pg 2)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Carbine - with rear sight ground off (Update with pics pg 2) Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
A recent American Riflsman issue had a short story on a Winchester carbine with the same rear sight.

If you could tell me which issue, I'd really like to place a WTB ad for a copy of the magazine. That would be a nice bit of kit to keep with the rifle for my kids to have someday.

I may still have it. If I do it's yours.

That would be awesome. My email is in my profile if you run across it. Thank you!

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in modified military surplus guns. I want them original.

If your use is different, suit yourself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
A recent American Riflsman issue had a short story on a Winchester carbine with the same rear sight.

If you could tell me which issue, I'd really like to place a WTB ad for a copy of the magazine. That would be a nice bit of kit to keep with the rifle for my kids to have someday.

I may still have it. If I do it's yours.

That would be awesome. My email is in my profile if you run across it. Thank you!

Here's a link to the issue in question, American Rifleman June 2018. The article is on page 40.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a link to the issue in question

Thanks! That's a cool little article. I appreciate you finding it for me.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Glad I could help.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have no interest in modified military surplus guns. I want them original.

I'm with you on that one. I don't want any metal or wood alterations.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you still want the hard copy let me know.

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you still want the hard copy let me know.

Yeah, I'd take it, and I'd be happy to reimburse you the postage or whatever it takes. Send me an email (in profile) and we'll get it set up. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
May be possible that it was a Bavarian. There are examples that had the rear ground off. Are there any markings outside the ordinary markings on it?

I used this site to help me with my Bavarian/Austrian:

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/index.html

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
May be possible that it was a Bavarian.

It is possible. I'm still deciphering some of the markings, but I have much to learn.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I voted to buy. Carbines aren't getting, nor will be any cheaper than they are today. Yeah, she's all Bubbafied, but Bubba didn't do too bad of a job.

I would buy it, add it to the collection as an interesting gun, shoot it on Sundays during Lent, and move on.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BravoSierra:
May be possible that it was a Bavarian. There are examples that had the rear ground off. Are there any markings outside the ordinary markings on it?

The small number of Bavarians with the rear peep sight removed had an alternate rear V-notch sight soldered on the front of the receiver. The original rear sight location was then grooved to prevent glare. This carbine has neither feature, and doesn't have any Bavarian markings anyway.

This was a civilian gunsmith job, done after the carbine was surplused.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:

After much study and reading, that is the conclusion I have reached as well. Although it was very well done. They didn't get into the edges of the receiver on either side, but maintained the curvature of the receiver when they did the work. Certainly spent more time with it than I probably would have invested. Which leads me back to two options.

A. The rear sight was missing or the dove-tail for it was somehow damaged, and the previous owner replaced it as best he/she could. (We in the internet age often forget how difficult it was pre-web to find every little tid-bit we want for our guns, and have it sent to our door in three days.)

B. The shooter wanted more precision than the standard peep sight with 50 yard increments could allow. The Williams does offer an impressive range of adjustment. I'd say it's adjustments outstrip even the caliber's abilities, much less the abilities of an average shooter like me.

Either way, it's been a hoot to play with. Having never owned one, I didn't realize just how nifty these little rifles are. Impossible to shoot without grinning. Just a good time!

By the way, the Inland has been moved to an era correct Underwood stock that I scabbed off ebay, which much improves the look and feel of the gun. The two look very similar now, with the obvious exception of the rear sight.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

After much study and reading, that is the conclusion I have reached as well. Although it was very well done. They didn't get into the edges of the receiver on either side, but maintained the curvature of the receiver when they did the work. Certainly spent more time with it than I probably would have invested. Which leads me back to two options.

A. The rear sight was missing or the dove-tail for it was somehow damaged, and the previous owner replaced it as best he/she could. (We in the internet age often forget how difficult it was pre-web to find every little tid-bit we want for our guns, and have it sent to our door in three days.)

B. The shooter wanted more precision than the standard peep sight with 50 yard increments could allow. The Williams does offer an impressive range of adjustment. I'd say it's adjustments outstrip even the caliber's abilities, much less the abilities of an average shooter like me.

Either way, it's been a hoot to play with. Having never owned one, I didn't realize just how nifty these little rifles are. Impossible to shoot without grinning. Just a good time!

By the way, the Inland has been moved to an era correct Underwood stock that I scabbed off ebay, which much improves the look and feel of the gun. The two look very similar now, with the obvious exception of the rear sight.

Well, considering the details of how the rear sight was cut off, and since you've already bought it, here's what I'd do. (Keep in mind, although I like Williams receiver sights, I wouldn't want one on my carbine, and to my mind mil-surps should stay "military-ish.")

I'd find a mount and scope and a GOOD (skilled) welder *who understands the dangers of the heat-treat of the receiver* and "convert" that Winchester to a T30. I don't believe any T30s were built by Winchester (only Inland), but it would return the rifle to looking military and cover up the bubba-ed rear sight... Collectors would know better (I hope), so you're not being deceptive. And you'd have a rare version and highly shootable version of the Carbine...

Inland T30

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Even in its current state, welding on the receiver is a roll of the dice.

You could put an Ultimak rail on it with a red dot and be happy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just keep it in it's original state, shoot the hell out of it, and be happy!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post