SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Puma M92 24” Octagon .357
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puma M92 24” Octagon .357 Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
Early August, I had some extra cash in my pocket and a local ad for an 1892 in 357 popped up with no real description but at a nice price point of $375, iirc. I think it may have been advertised as a Rossi but i dont remember. The pictures i was texted were fairly blurry and over compressed, but I met up with the gentleman selling it, and the rifle was in great shape. He wasnt sure if it’d ever been shot. Turned out it was a Puma-branded m92 with the 24” octagonal barrel, dark reddish wood with a deep crescent butt, and dark steel. Its gotta be a later model, since its got the safety on top, but the older gentleman selling it said they bought six of them “a decade or two ago” for all the brothers and their dad. This one was their dad’s, but he “probably never shot it.”

Compared to my Rossi 16”, the 24” octagonal barrel seems HUGE. Its a super stiff rifle, and everything i read suggests these were pretty rough and oversprung quite a bit.

Ive not decided if i want to take it apart and try to work on it, to smooth out the corners a bit. But Most people say the 1892 is a puzzle and a half to try to work on, and more trouble than theyre worth in some cases. I could do with a good, slow project though.

So far, though, ive had it since August and it works great. Both 357 and 38s feed great and it is ridiculously accurate and soft-shooting with how heavy and long it is. I have to rack the lever a bit more slowly or it seems to catch on itself a bit more, and its far from as smooth as my other Rossi but its already started to get a bit easier to work with just in the few boxes ive put thru it. I like it a lot, and she fits in well as the tallest of the bunch.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Score!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice I think a lot of folks miss the effective uses of lever guns. For me you can load on the go and no magazine to lose. VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool rifle. I have a stainless version and love it. I wish they still made them, as I would love to buy another.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've got a Rossi 92 in 357, it's 16 inches long and has the round barrel.
I changed the front sight to a brass bead, and took it apart and de burred every sharp edge, then slathered it down with valve grinding compound and cycled it about 50 times...took it part and washed all that off...its slick as owl snot now! I also filed the silly safety down and blued it...it's still there stuck in fire, but no snags sticking up.

very handy little gun, one I'll never sell

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My 16” is the same - suuuper smooth. But i bought it used so someone else mustve put in the work for that one. Ill probably be buying up some stuff to work on this Puma to try and get her a little more slick, too.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
Very nice family you have and I really like the leather on those two rifles. Do you have a link for the maker?? thanks. I had a stainless m92 in .38/357 and it was a great shooter and pretty accurate but I recently upgraded to an Uberti 1873, case hardened, with octagon barrel, also in .38/357. these lever action guns kinda fly under the radar. not the best pic but you get the idea.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I have the 16 and the 24 both in 357 and love that 24!
I’ve taken apart and smoothed/slicked up both and it isn’t that bad.
The issue with these guns is that all the internal parts are left with sharp machined surfaces and the individual parts are rough. A little time and attention to gently smoothing those areas and the gun is butter smooth.
There was a YouTube video that was helpful on disassembled ‘92’s, I’ll look at my laptop in the shop and see if I saved it.
I remember you definitely need to have a 38/357 dummy round to help with the reassembly of getting the bolt back in to hold some spring.
I also changed to some lighter springs, but only on the first gun then left all the rest with modified stock springs.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the 24” octagon barrel in .45 Colt...these rifles really benefit from a spring kit and stainless magazine follower and SS magazine spring (it’s night and day. The action is typical John Moses Browning design and it can be a little frustrating at first...but it’s worth it...
These are good videos on YouTube...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/fsFDc4s9V5A

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/K0r0l5MRNaU

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/rKAucKBnbes

I ordered all my spring kits from this gentleman...

http://thesmithshop.com/rossispringkits.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
very nice family you have and I really like the leather on those two rifles. Do you have a link for the maker??

Thank you!! I got the slings here: https://brassstacker.com/No-Dr...ling-WINCHESTER.html

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
Porter, thanks for the link!

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post