SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone use CAR hand guards? (FOUND-Thanks Mettlepig!!!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use CAR hand guards? (FOUND-Thanks Mettlepig!!!) Login/Join 
A man of few words
posted
I'm looking for a set of CAR hand guards for my Colt 6720. I've found a few sets of Colt listed, but I'm not interested in paying what they seem to be going for these days ($140+).

Retro Rifles and M&A Parts both have them listed. I'd like to hear from anyone who has handled those, or know if I need to look at another option that I've missed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryanZ06,

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Which CAR-15 handguard are you after?

The earliest triangular handguard used on Colt's Model 607 carbines? Or the much more common tubular handguard used on the 610/XM177 and onward?

The former is tough to find, but the latter (which would be correct for a true military CAR-15 clone), is fairly easy to find.

Colt 607 handguard:

Colt 609/610/XM177/CAR-15/GAU-5/A handguard:

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Which CAR-15 handguard are you after?

The later, round version.

I'm open to aftermarket over Colt, but also don't want to buy anything cheap with regard to fit or finish.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
DSA is likely your best bet for an aftermarket option: https://www.dsarms.com/p-14109...th-heat-shields.aspx

IIRC, DSA furniture is what Brownells uses on their XM177 clones.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have a set of round carbine-length handguards that I took off my older M4-sorta-lookalike. Includes the metal heat shields. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but they're yours if you want them.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If Expert308's handguard have 6 holes (not 7), then that might work.

(A little hard to judge just based on that photo.)

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'll have to take a look and see about that. All this is of course predicated on the assumption that I can actually FIND them. I know they're in a plastic bag along with the FSB. I replaced them a longer MLok rail and low-profile gas block. I just need to try and remember where I put that plastic bag.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer Expert308! If you can find them shoot me an email at the address in my profile. If they don't turn up, no worries as I know how that can go. I told a friend a month or two back that he could have a spare MBUS rear sight. I still can't find it!

Thanks for the links and info everyone. I was trying to figure out who made them for the Brownells Retro line, but had no luck. If Expert308 can't find his, I'll snag a set from DSA.

posted Hide Post
I also might have a spare Colt handguard that is yours if you want. Let me know if Expert308's offer falls thru. I will go digging for mine my next day off (Wednesday).

Posts: 330 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alyron! If you find yours and they are the skinny 6 hole version please let me know!

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryanZ06:
Thanks for the offer Expert308! If you can find them shoot me an email at the address in my profile. If they don't turn up, no worries as I know how that can go. I told a friend a month or two back that he could have a spare MBUS rear sight. I still can't find it!

Thanks for the links and info everyone. I was trying to figure out who made them for the Brownells Retro line, but had no luck. If Expert308 can't find his, I'll snag a set from DSA.

Yeah, I'm going to have cop a guilty plea on this one. Should have verified that I still have the damn things before I offer to give them away. I looked last night but wasn't able to find them anywhere. I must have tossed them during one of my more ruthless housecleaning episodes.

A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:Yeah, I'm going to have cop a guilty plea on this one. Should have verified that I still have the damn things before I offer to give them away. I looked last night but wasn't able to find them anywhere. I must have tossed them during one of my more ruthless housecleaning episodes.

No problem on my end. I appreciate the offer regardless!

posted Hide Post
Wow. I feel awful. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find it either. I’ll ask around to some of my friends and try to find you one. Again, sorry.

Posts: 330 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
Wow. I feel awful. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find it either. I’ll ask around to some of my friends and try to find you one. Again, sorry.

No worries! I'll probably grab a set from DSA in the next couple of days.

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
Did you find a set?
I have a set I pulled of a Bushmaster back in 2002 or around there. 6 hole. I just found them going through some old stuff.
Shoot me an email, they are yours if you still need them.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me know,if you need a pair ?

Posts: 27 | Location: Pa | Registered: October 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
Did you find a set?
I have a set I pulled of a Bushmaster back in 2002 or around there. 6 hole. I just found them going through some old stuff.
Shoot me an email, they are yours if you still need them.

Email on the way. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
FAB defense makes a nice copy of the Colt round skinny “6 hole” Carbine handguards. They are pretty solid, a little better grade polymer, not like a plastic and have a single heatshield.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Just saw a couple pair at the local gunshow ... I think it's the first one this year! You could tell they were lightly used, but only $10 IIRC

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post