SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll lock this thread if I need to, purge all unwanted content and reopen it at a later date.

See how nice and peaceful this place is? It's going to stay that way.

I was so happy, seeing no mention of any of this latest nonsense, but here we are, with people just bound and fucking determined to talk about this shit. I mean, people are on a mission. We MUST talk about these things, fret over this things, wring our hands, spread the panic to others, etc. Just gotta happen, huh?

Try just being still on the subject. If you're caught short, that's your doing.

No worries, no concerns, no questions about stock on this or that. No hypotheticals, no news flash bulletins about some Goddamned leftist introducing some asinine bill whereever. None of that. Just be still and quiet on the issue. You can't do anything about it.

If you are just bursting to discussed current events, you can find a hundred different places to express your concerns, but it won't be here.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. I thought we were talking about gun panics and the incidents that drive them. Politics are a big part of that.

Apologies if I brought up anything inappropriate.

Edit: modified my previous posts to delete inappropriate content.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Re-reading LDD's original article.

Thanks again, LDD.

I messed up, thanks for note, parabellum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The author of that post is LDD.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth the bump and the re-read. We just went through another panic buy here in Washington state this past year when some really bad laws went into effect on July 1st. As I read through LDD's post, I'm mentally checking off all the things he talks about that I just saw happen here.

Keep laying in what you can while it's quiet in your neck of the woods. Calm, determined supplying. No panic. Calm blue oceans.

I feel compelled to add that even at "the last minute" for me, which was a few weeks before the law went into effect, that while I was picking up a few things from my shop, people were still walking in and totally mystified that there was a take-a-number set up and a line a dozen deep. The guy who owns the shop ran my 4473 and was constantly interrupted with phone calls he was responding with "No, I'm sorry, we don't have that in stock." Before we concluded our business, he lamented to me that he couldn't believe that there were people daily walking into his store who had zero knowledge of the laws, or the impending laws, and how many of them admitted to him that they didn't even vote. He's a foreign immigrant who built a business on just a few of our amendments, but the chief one being the second, and he looked me square in the eyes and asked in his unplaceable Mediterranean accent, asked "Don't you people care about your laws? Nobody seems to know what's going on and everyone is surprised. I don't understand this."

He caught me flat-footed. All I could say was "I vote with my ballot and my wallet. You'll see me again." I'll continue to drive out there and support his business.

I watched him running just about ragged to please his customers for a number of afternoons. He also didn't up his prices or try to squeeze anyone. In fact, I almost went ahead on a nice ACR that looked almost unused for $1,000. Kinda wish I had. This guy just wanted to help out customers in a time of need instead of making every penny he could. I'm sure it stressed him, but I'm now a loyal customer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
It’s apparent that this thread is especially timely for those in Virginia today.

Hold the line, friends.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see the economic effects of the Chinese coronavirus if any, on the supply and demand in the USA for rifle and pistol optics (made in China/ made elsewhere).

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how the impact is on firearm and ammunition sales if the bills in the Oregon and Washington congress pass.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
It will be interesting to see how the impact is on firearm and ammunition sales if the bills in the Oregon and Washington congress pass.

Was wondering the same thing myself. I'm probably going to drop another few hundred bucks on mags and ammo here soon. I'm building up what I consider a reasonable supply, but I'm not at comfort levels yet, and far from "set for life." I spent a lot of money last year and I'm on course to spend just about as much on mags and ammo this year.

Lay in what you comfortably can, piecemeal, while you can. While it's quiet. When my wife and I moved to Washington in 2010, the gun laws were pretty good. Now, we're arguably worse than California, and they're looking at passing a mag ban for 15rd capacity and with grandfathering only if you can PROVE you had the magazine prior to this July 1st. They shelved the bill just as the session was ending and then reintroduced it the day after as an appropriation bill and it's looking like it just might go through. Dirty pool.

We gotta get the hell outta here.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Well here we are again. Ammo seems to be flying off the online sites. Don’t need any, just an observation. Was going to order some more bullets soon but Rocky Mountain reloading seems to have been hit up pretty hard.

I’m at a loss as to how a public health emergency, real or perceived (I’ll leave that debate to the other thread), would induce so many fools (iPad changed ‘folks’ to ‘fools’ and I’m leaving it that way) to think that ammo was the next domino to fall after TP.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reading about a big surge in gun buying in Los Angeles:

"Gun sales are skyrocketing across the San Gabriel Valley as Asian Americans in the area fear they may be targeted because of their ethnicity amid rising fears about the spread of the coronavirus."

https://losangeles.cbslocal.co...rus-related-attacks/

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

"Gun sales are skyrocketing across the San Gabriel Valley as Asian Americans in the area fear they may be targeted because of their ethnicity amid rising fears about the spread of the coronavirus."

That’s possible, but they’re not buying ammo online.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to my LGS on Thursday, line out the door, took a number like, at a deli counter, they had 5 or 6 guys behind the counter. 15 minute wait.

All out of P365s, 500 on order no idea when they will have them delivered. Said they had some on the website. So busy it's not updated.

I will drive 40 minutes to a store that says they have them. After I call to see if the website is updated.

Stupid people, last time I saw this was when Obama got elected.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

Don't they have a 10 day "cooling off" period in CA?

I've seen some videos of Asians being attacked by groups of people.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
My wife wants to wear a mask, when going out, due to her concerns about the wuhan virus, but is afraid to because of the attacks. She has been receiving emails from the Japanese consulate, almost daily, regarding the virus and what's going on.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son works at a Farm and Ranch store that sells guns. Yesterday he told me that ammo was flying off of the shelves and they sold a record number of guns for the day. I guess everyone is afraid that all that toilet paper they hoarded might get stolen.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.syracuse.com/outdo...ing-good-stores.html

Coronavirus: Firearm and ammo sales up at some Upstate NY sporting good stores

Updated Mar 14, 2020;
Posted Mar 13, 2020

By David Figura | dfigura@nyup.com

Dave Desimone put two boxes of 9 mm cartridges and another box of .357s on the counter of the gun department at Gander RV and Outdoors store in Cicero.

“I just didn’t have any,” he said about the purchase of a total of 150 rounds for his handguns. “I just figured it was better to have some boxes on hand in case of whatever.”

Desimone typified what store employees and managers and customers said at gun departments at several sporting good stores in Central and Western New York this week. There’s been an uptick in firearm and ammunition purchases in the wake of ever-developing news concerning the coronavirus.

“We’ve seen a spike the last few days in the purchase of ammunition, particularly for rounds for handguns (9 mm and .45 caliber) along with .22 caliber for long rifles, and 12 and 20-gauge shotgun shells – both slugs and shot,” said David Steinberg, manager of the sporting goods department at Ray-Lins Sporting Goods in Syracuse.

“It’s been a strange week, with the coronavirus and the stock market. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind what people are buying,” he said. There’s some panic out there, despite the fact there’s been no reports of violence, he added.

As for firearms, Steinberg said he has sold all his store’s short-barreled shotguns. “They’re easy to swing around, keep behind a door,” he said.

Two employees at the Cabela’s store in Cheektowaga in Erie County said the gun counter at their store around noon today had a long line of customers. The two said several ammunition shelves were noticeably empty as customers were buying up boxes of rounds – particularly 9 mm cartridges for handguns for self protection.

“We’re swamped. Last weekend we had $40,000 in ammunition sales alone,” one of the employees said.

Not everyone said the increase in gun sales was the result of the coronavirus scare. Others interviewed pointed to the fact that gun sales typically go up this time of year due to individuals getting their tax refunds and possibly this year because there’s a presidential election this fall and some are concerned about the loss of gun ownership rights.

Tim Evanchak, owner of Tim’s Guns in Elbridge, noted gun and ammunition sales at his store have been steadily rising since the beginning of the year, due largely to the healthy economy and that many people have more disposable income.

Desimone said there definitely is a tie to the coronavirus scare.

He said the table with 9 mm cartridges for sale was full Thursday. By noon the next day it was half empty. He added he bought the last box of .357 caliber cartridges on the shelf at Gander.

“People are buying up toilet paper, antiseptic sprays and lotions. You might as well buy a couple of boxes of ammo,” he said.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Fucking mass hysteria!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Don't they have a 10 day "cooling off" period in CA?

Yes. You buy it, fill out the DROS (Dealer's Record of Sale), pay your money, then wait at least 10 days (marked on your paperwork down to the second), but not more than 30 days, or else you have to do another DROS and pay the state fee again. Good times...

The ridiculous thing is that those with a CCW are legally licensed by the state to walk into the gun store with up to three loaded handguns concealed on their person, but they still have to wait ten days for the new one that they want to buy.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
https://www.syracuse.com/outdo...ing-good-stores.html

Coronavirus: Firearm and ammo sales up at some Upstate NY sporting good stores

Updated Mar 14, 2020;
Posted Mar 13, 2020

By David Figura | dfigura@nyup.com

Dave Desimone put two boxes of 9 mm cartridges and another box of .357s on the counter of the gun department at Gander RV and Outdoors store in Cicero.

“I just didn’t have any,” he said about the purchase of a total of 150 rounds for his handguns. “I just figured it was better to have some boxes on hand in case of whatever.”

Desimone typified what store employees and managers and customers said at gun departments at several sporting good stores in Central and Western New York this week. There’s been an uptick in firearm and ammunition purchases in the wake of ever-developing news concerning the coronavirus.

“We’ve seen a spike the last few days in the purchase of ammunition, particularly for rounds for handguns (9 mm and .45 caliber) along with .22 caliber for long rifles, and 12 and 20-gauge shotgun shells – both slugs and shot,” said David Steinberg, manager of the sporting goods department at Ray-Lins Sporting Goods in Syracuse.

“It’s been a strange week, with the coronavirus and the stock market. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind what people are buying,” he said. There’s some panic out there, despite the fact there’s been no reports of violence, he added.

As for firearms, Steinberg said he has sold all his store’s short-barreled shotguns. “They’re easy to swing around, keep behind a door,” he said.

Two employees at the Cabela’s store in Cheektowaga in Erie County said the gun counter at their store around noon today had a long line of customers. The two said several ammunition shelves were noticeably empty as customers were buying up boxes of rounds – particularly 9 mm cartridges for handguns for self protection.

“We’re swamped. Last weekend we had $40,000 in ammunition sales alone,” one of the employees said.

Not everyone said the increase in gun sales was the result of the coronavirus scare. Others interviewed pointed to the fact that gun sales typically go up this time of year due to individuals getting their tax refunds and possibly this year because there’s a presidential election this fall and some are concerned about the loss of gun ownership rights.

Tim Evanchak, owner of Tim’s Guns in Elbridge, noted gun and ammunition sales at his store have been steadily rising since the beginning of the year, due largely to the healthy economy and that many people have more disposable income.

Desimone said there definitely is a tie to the coronavirus scare.

He said the table with 9 mm cartridges for sale was full Thursday. By noon the next day it was half empty. He added he bought the last box of .357 caliber cartridges on the shelf at Gander.

“People are buying up toilet paper, antiseptic sprays and lotions. You might as well buy a couple of boxes of ammo,” he said.

FWIW this is happening here in Canada too. Huge spike in ammo sales and lots of inexpensive shotguns.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post