SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Were they super cheap?

I think so. $40-$50 or so.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Well I think LDD was right in regards to PSA. They now have the black G2 MagPul mags back in stock at regular price and have several other versions as well. They also have the $49.99 PSA stripped lowers in stock even though those showed as out of inventory last night.

They must have pulled a bunch of stuff to slow the bleeding.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Now I can’t mail order ammo..

I haven't bothered as I have enough stock to last me until my planned escape date, but if one gets an 03 C&R FFL (curio and relic, ie collector's) and a COE (Certificate of Eligibility), one is exempt from the ban on online ammo shopping. I believe the former is ~$33 and good for three years and the later is $75 and good for one year, but I haven't bothered to research further.
quote:
this pot of water I’m in is gradually getting warmer....

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
went to local gun store today. very busy. All buyers were 18, 19, 20. one guy pointed to a handgun he is going to buy as soon as he turns 21, in the meantime, he's buying a rifle.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I went over to a place on the other side of the river Saturday to pick up a couple of lowers. The wait time on the State Police background check (phone call) was two hours. It usually takes 5-10 minutes. So I went up the street a bit to have lunch while I waited. When I got back I was sitting my car still waiting and a guy walked out of the store carrying 5 new rifle boxes.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
The wife and I went to shoot at the range yesterday, coming out we saw 9 people, women and men, all were handling AR’s for purchase. In all the years I have shot there I have never seen that amount of people looking at that hour of the morning. Might want to purchase some more ammo before it goes up again.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Here we go again. This is almost kinda humorous when one is reasonable well stocked up. The problem is when you think of that one more thing. Oh snap! Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Here we go again. This is almost kinda humorous when one is reasonable well stocked up. The problem is when you think of that one more thing. Oh snap! Smile

Yeah, I've been stocking up and have plenty of what I need, but since you never have enough these short-term panic situations are still annoying!

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I (finally) stopped by Cabela's last Friday to turn a couple gift cards into some 30rd M3 Pmags. I tracked down the last one in the store. Fortunately I don't need any right now.

They still had them listed online though, so I bought enough to get free shipping, and everything worked out the same.

Except that they didn't get shipped over the weekend, and now they aren't listed as available on Cabela's site.

I'd better get over to Walmart and buy up all the ammo. Smile

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I did a quick online check on 5.56 and it looks like stores have raised prices about 10-13% in the last week.

quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
I (finally) stopped by Cabela's last Friday to turn a couple gift cards into some 30rd M3 Pmags. I tracked down the last one in the store. Fortunately I don't need any right now.

They still had them listed online though, so I bought enough to get free shipping, and everything worked out the same.

Except that they didn't get shipped over the weekend, and now they aren't listed as available on Cabela's site.

I'd better get over to Walmart and buy up all the ammo. Smile

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had to give the sad face to multiple customers during the panic of 2013. I heard “I could have bought that for 1/2 the price three weeks ago!” so many times I almost told the last customer who said it “Then you should go back to three-weeks ago and buy it!” Don’t be that guy. Be the guy who comes in and shrugs while saying “I have ten of those at home, NIW.”

Ha. What does "NIW" mean?

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stringdriver:
Ha. What does "NIW" mean?

New in wrap.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
wait, is there another panic?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
wait, is there another panic?

Nope, buy your cheap receivers and mags now! Cool

You've got three months till mid-term elections in early November.

We'll see a bump then (probably not a big one), and there's usually a pickup of demand starting late August-early September every year as people switch from spending money on summer expendables (summer vacation, school supplies, ATVs, etc) to the industry's version of "durable goods" (rifles, pistols, uppers, scopes, etc). Some of the fall-pickup is hunting generated, but I think most of it is just people not spending $ on summer distractions.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We're getting a little closer to the mid-terms.

The outcome of the Kavanaugh nomination might trigger demand.

Just sayin'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys - something I did not look at during the last increase in purchases - Did LPK’s go up and become as hard to get at a reasonable price as lowers?

Thanks Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Guys - something I did not look at during the last increase in purchases - Did LPK’s go up and become as hard to get at a reasonable price as lowers?

Thanks Mark

Yes, LPKs went up during the panic, like everything else.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q - I have several stripped lowers. Will pick up a couple LPK’s while the prices are reasonable.....Thanks my Friend...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

Thanks Mark

LPKs are tier two in the pyramid of demand. (see article on the first page)

They will go up in price at almost as fast as lowers.

Actually, with the price of lowers now, sometimes you can get a lower for less than a full LPK.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
We're getting a little closer to the mid-terms.

The outcome of the Kavanaugh nomination might trigger demand.

Just sayin'.

If there is a panic because of either the midterms or Kavanaugh, it’s because people are stupid. Even if they take back the House, they won’t get 60 in the Senate, so getting their legislation through is tough, and even if it got through, it would almost certainly be vetoed. As far as Kavanaugh goes, even if he drops out, there is plenty of time to get another conservative through, even after the midterms. Remember, the current Congress runs into January, and the Republicans aren’t going to pass up a chance for a Supreme Court pick, no matter what.

The main worry for the next big panic is 2020, not now.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post