SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I'm wondering if there has been an uptick in EBR sales since the media has again taken up the call for banning them.
Has anyone noticed any at their LGS?

Bruce

I have not. I was curious so I have visited several stores in the past week and all have plenty of ARs on the shelves, along with lowers and magazines and none had very many people looking at them. PSA still has PMAGs in stock and have been running a great sale on them since this past weekend. I bought some ammo yesterday and it shipped yesterday. I think most people think that as long as President Trump is in the White House we are relatively safe from any major ban on anything.

If you want anything, or even think you might want anything at some point in your life, now is the time to buy. Prices and demand are both low. I don't even own an AR and I bought ten mags from PSA. I am heading to the LGS next paycheck to get myself a couple lowers too.

Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15248 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Things have picked up at my former employer's shop, but not fever pitch. Just people buying the basics: lowers, magazines, lpks.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I'm wondering if there has been an uptick in EBR sales since the media has again taken up the call for banning them.
Has anyone noticed any at their LGS?

Bruce

We're a fairly high volume shop in normal times, and haven't really seen any big difference on the retail side yet. I know a couple people have come in that probably wouldn't have without all the gun control talk, but not big numbers of those types. So no major change on the retail side. However, I can say on the distributor side there is currently a fairly big difference. Many of the major distributors are out of lots of AR/AK type stuff, guns and high cap mags. There is definitely a change at the distributor level on both pricing and availability. Many of them have seen a big run on high cap mags and semi auto rifles. I know of at least one or two major distributors that have seen their largest sales figures in years.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This was on Bud's online gun sales website this morning...

"An unexpected large increase in demand has caused delays throughout our supply chain. Please expect longer than normal processing and shipping times on all orders.
We apologize for any inconvenience."

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10576 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
PSA has had a sale on Pmags for a few days now. 9 bucks apiece with coupon code PMAG and free shipping if you order 10. Tonight I went to see how many I could add to my cart to do a kind of stock check. At around 9:30pm eastern I could add 9600. It’s 2 hours later and I can’t add 8220. That’s around 1400 mags sold in two hours.

Trump may have a plan but he also may have talked us right into another panic. Thankfully I bought 10 mags and two lowers before this started.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...zine-mag571-blk.html

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15248 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
PSA has had a sale on Pmags for a few days now. 9 bucks apiece with coupon code PMAG and free shipping if you order 10. Tonight I went to see how many I could add to my cart to do a kind of stock check. At around 9:30pm eastern I could add 9600. It’s 2 hours later and I can’t add 8220. That’s around 1400 mags sold in two hours.

Trump may have a plan but he also may have talked us right into another panic. Thankfully I bought 10 mags and two lowers before this started.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...zine-mag571-blk.html

There is definitely a rush on. Among other things one major online dealer had 10,000 Anderson lowers a week or two ago. They now have 0. Hopefully things settle down.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that distributors pull back stock in order to prepare for longer rushes.

If you say you have 10,000 in stock, no one orders anything, because, what's the rush? But if you go from 10,000 to 0, then back to 1000, retailers order more than onesey-twoseys they otherwise would. You're never going to sell 10,000 lowers to a single customer, so bring them back 1000 at a time.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
I have a feeling that distributors pull back stock in order to prepare for longer rushes.

If you say you have 10,000 in stock, no one orders anything, because, what's the rush? But if you go from 10,000 to 0, then back to 1000, retailers order more than onesey-twoseys they otherwise would. You're never going to sell 10,000 lowers to a single customer, so bring them back 1000 at a time.

While that probably happens some, that is not the case in this instance. I know for a fact they sold them all.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect the pipeline was crammed full because producers didn't put the brakes on early enough for the slowdown plus most gun owners bought so much before that they aren't needing to stock up.
I know many first time gun owners that bought before and never shot the gun.
Now they are finally looking to get some training and shoot a little. I see more growth potential in the training and carry accessories.

Posts: 9434 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I checked this morning about 4am and they had over 5000. Now showing out of stock. Hopefully this is what LDD said and they pulled them instead of selling out.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I hope people start buying a bunch of stuff again.

Anyone remotely into firearms should have known to buy their $hit.

Of course if it turns into a rush, we'll get the "OH, I was JUST ABOUT TO BUY. Where can I get it at a FAIR PRICE" mouthbreathers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I have seen exactly what LDD mentioned happen even in real-time so yes, it does happen. They will appear to sell out or get pulled and then inventory will all of a sudden be available again, sometimes at the same price, sometimes at a different price and with varying degrees of delay from days to minutes. I've also seen where depending on the link and where it was advertised (email ad, availability comparison website, etc.) you may go to a product that would otherwise be out of stock or at a different price for the same item if you accessed the same item a different way.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I don’t want people to be going crazy again. It’s funny for about a weekend but then I get some crazy deal on a type of pistol I’ve never owned before and try to buy a couple extra mags and am SOL because people lost their minds.

I’m pretty well stocked up on guns, ammo, mags, reloading supplies and even a couple stripped lowers but I’d prefer not dealing with everybody being out of stock on everything for another year or four.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Here in Illinois I went to the range Tuesday after lunch and after that browsed the gun selections. Typically on a week day they might have 1-2 people at the buying counter filling out paperwork and paying for their gun. Tuesday there were about 15 people in line. I also noticed the used gun selection was much lower than usual.

Posts: 9727 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A suggested entry for Ambrose Bierce’s The Devil’s Dictionary:

panic buyer n (2016): someone who bought the last gun or accessory just before I was able to

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47345 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
I'm glad to have purchased the items I did while everything was quiet. Have plenty of reload stuff if I need to go there again. Might buy some more mags for the newly acquired CZ shadow 2 and maybe some more P226 mags from Greg Cote. Don't require them or absolutely need them, but why not?

AR mags? If you didn't get them earlier when stupid cheap, Shame....Shame....Shame....

Edited to be more on topic....At least one local store is selling ARs quickly. They usually sit on the shelf for a bit.....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A suggested entry for Ambrose Bierce’s The Devil’s Dictionary:

panic buyer n (2016): someone who bought the last gun or accessory just before I was able to

But I WAS JUST ABOUT TO BUY.

HONESTLY!

I rolled through 2 LGS today, one was pretty bare of ARs and used guns. The second was a little short on stuff but it's not bad yet.

Several people were picking up Glocks and AR magazines while I was there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well being in CA my choices have been limited for years and just got worse 1-1-18. I do need an m16 Bolt for an upper to complete my most recent build and some LPKs tucked away for future use wouldn’t be the end of the world. It’s been difficult to illegal to get 11+ capacity mags for years so what I have from the old days I treat like gold and only use 5 and 10s at the range. Now I can’t mail order ammo.. this pot of water I’m in is gradually getting warmer....

Posts: 4731 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
LGS that I went to today seemed to still have good stock on AR's and ammo. The panic seems to be avoiding middle TN at least.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

While that probably happens some, that is not the case in this instance. I know for a fact they sold them all.

Were they super cheap?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10857 | Location: Salem. No, not that Salem.  | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post