SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
The people who hadn't stocked up on ammo and AR's before this last event were foolish.

yes indeed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
2300 black rifles sold on weds 7/20/2016 in the state of Massachusetts.
Thanks to the AG Re-defining the awb still on the MA books.

That's 1/4 of the total sold the past year in the state.

Do we know how to punch a panic button or what?!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ritter:Well, California panic just started. Brown signed a bunch of shit bills that, among other things, outlaws bullet buttoned ARs (the way we could legally purchase them) by the end of the year--registration of those already in possession is ordered. I guess we'll see how much CA market impacts the national market.

The Patriot Magazine Release (PMR) or "Bullet Button Reloaded" is already shipping. The two I ordered came today. Basically replaces the bullet button with a magazine release button with an arm on it that sticks up and has a leg that stops just short of the upper. If you push on it with the action together the "leg" prevents the release from moving far enough to release the magazine. The full kit also includes a replacement rear pin that sticks out a bit on the right side, has a hole in it, and comes with a short length of black paracord to make opening the action easier and quicker. Once installed you no longer need a tool to change the magazine and your EBR is not an Assault Weapon which must be registered.

Yes, it sounds like a pain in the neck, but as a short term workaround until one can escape Kalifornia, it just might do...

ETA: The bigger impact is the ban on buying ammunition other than from a licensed ammunition seller, no more online/phone/mail order ammo. A license will be required to buy ammo (said license to cost something like $50.00), and there will be lots of record keeping requirements on ammunition sellers. Personally, I think if a CA resident can't escape immediately, they'd be well advised to guesstimate when they can, figure out how much they want to shoot in that time, and lay in at least that much ammunition.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to this thread going up last October by LDD, I made it a priority to start the process of building an AR and getting my ammo and reloading supplies up to something comfortable.

Well of course all the AR parts were on sale over the winter so I ended up building the AR quickly.

And found a good source of IMI 5.56 ammo at a reasonable price so I managed to get a couple thousand rounds of stuff that shoots nicely.

And my reloading supplies were replenished over the winter, too.

The goal was to not be afraid to go shooting after the next panic. I was one of those who frequently would just buy ammo on the way to the range or get reloading supplies when I ran out. Now I've got plenty to get me through a while without worry.

The hassle is going to be moving all of it to a new house!

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by ritter:Well, California panic just started. Brown signed a bunch of shit bills that, among other things, outlaws bullet buttoned ARs (the way we could legally purchase them) by the end of the year--registration of those already in possession is ordered. I guess we'll see how much CA market impacts the national market.

The Patriot Magazine Release (PMR) or "Bullet Button Reloaded" is already shipping. The two I ordered came today. Basically replaces the bullet button with a magazine release button with an arm on it that sticks up and has a leg that stops just short of the upper. If you push on it with the action together the "leg" prevents the release from moving far enough to release the magazine. The full kit also includes a replacement rear pin that sticks out a bit on the right side, has a hole in it, and comes with a short length of black paracord to make opening the action easier and quicker. Once installed you no longer need a tool to change the magazine and your EBR is not an Assault Weapon which must be registered.

Yes, it sounds like a pain in the neck, but as a short term workaround until one can escape Kalifornia, it just might do...

ETA: The bigger impact is the ban on buying ammunition other than from a licensed ammunition seller, no more online/phone/mail order ammo. A license will be required to buy ammo (said license to cost something like $50.00), and there will be lots of record keeping requirements on ammunition sellers. Personally, I think if a CA resident can't escape immediately, they'd be well advised to guesstimate when they can, figure out how much they want to shoot in that time, and lay in at least that much ammunition.

Yes, well... I hated the bullet button so much, I went featureless some time ago. Smile

Posts: 89 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ritter:Yes, well... I hated the bullet button so much, I went featureless some time ago. Smile

Yeah, that is starting to sound like a really good idea. If you don't mind my asking, what changes did you make?

A flash hider is evil, is a brake? Did you remove the pistol grip or put a wrap on it? From looking at the link c1steve posted on some wraps I wondered if they would interfere with getting to the safety...

Thanks!

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by ritter:Yes, well... I hated the bullet button so much, I went featureless some time ago. Smile

Yeah, that is starting to sound like a really good idea. If you don't mind my asking, what changes did you make?

A flash hider is evil, is a brake? Did you remove the pistol grip or put a wrap on it? From looking at the link c1steve posted on some wraps I wondered if they would interfere with getting to the safety...

Thanks!

Don't mind at all. Have you seen this? Calguns flowchart

I removed the flash hider and went with a simple thread protector out front. Pistol grip and collapsible stock was replaced with a FRS-15 stock. I learned to shoot standard configured rifles, not AR15s, so I actually (gasp) prefer the FRS stock to the standard configuration.

I think wraps suck because you can't hold the rifle strong handed very well. They are the cheapest route to take, though.

You can also consider the Ares SCR lower as a good but more expensive solution.

Posts: 89 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let's keep this thread on topic.

Start another thread if you want to talk about Cal-specific AR mods.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Let's keep this thread on topic.

Start another thread if you want to talk about Cal-specific AR mods.

Sorry! I would have emailed ritter, but no email in profile. I guess I should have asked him to email me. Mea culpa.

posted Hide Post
60 days to the election guys.....If you have not read and/or re-read LDD's starting post related to this thread - do it now.....

60 days is not a long time especially if you are on a limited budget as I am.......

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Yup panic buying I did.

Bought another Modern Sporting Rifle. An MCX!

I have increased my pistol calibers I shoot to over 1500 rounds in each caliber. I used to be comfortable usually at 500 rounds each.

Recently added 800 rounds of 223. That darn Amoholich Thread does not help.

Started building two ARs from the lowers I have had for over two years.

May look into getting into reloading. Use to reload shotgun shells some 30 years ago.

Bought some new Ammo Cans from Costco a short while back.

I know I have missed something here.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
Excellent read!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I concur with the ammo purchases.

5.56, 9mm then 22.

Personally, I have stocked up on all three calibers. Still will buy a box of 22lr every time I go to a store that sells them.
While I have primarily bought target loads such as Winchester White Box, it is important to get self defense and hunting loads as well.
In my opinion, as far as versatility goes, the most versatile caliber is 22lr.

If you don't have an AR platform rifle the time to get it is NOW. By that, I mean no later than tomorrow. You can get a Ruger or S&W Sport for under $700. Maybe not the best components but it is still an AR and they will work.

I am not trying to start a panic but get one before the election if you haven't already.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just did a local show of about 250 tables. Crowd was even down due to exceptionally nice weather here. There were $11-$13 Gen2 Magpuls which nobody seemed to be leaping on. Ammo sales were pretty much non-existant. Go figure.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
With Trump elected, I wonder how long it will take for prices of ammo and ban-target guns to start drifting down...

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Quickly, I hope...my money isn't going spend itself Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
With Trump elected, I wonder how long it will take for prices of ammo and ban-target guns to start drifting down...

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Quickly, I hope...my money isn't going spend itself Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Wino:

I'd guess it will take at least a few weeks, if not a couple months. Many retailers tend to price at a certain % over cost. When sales start to slow, their vendors will start to lower prices but the "higher cost" ammo and mags will need to filter out before we'll see it go down much.

Gun prices could drop faster.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Maybe we can get LDD to do another thread, now that we're (hopefully) headed in the other direction.

quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
Just did a local show of about 250 tables. Crowd was even down due to exceptionally nice weather here. There were $11-$13 Gen2 Magpuls which nobody seemed to be leaping on. Ammo sales were pretty much non-existant. Go figure.

Two days ago there were three Armalite Eagle complete lowers for sale on GunJoker, and they'd been there for a while. This morning they were gone, and whoever bought them is cursing himself bitterly for thinking that a little hoarding could be profitable. What I saw locally matches what you saw, and I still haven't figured out why everyone waited until yesterday or so to do whatever panicking they were going to do.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm really not one to hoard and had a good supply of most everything, however last week I bought a Spikes Jack receiver and on Tuesday I bought 4000 9mm 147 projectiles ... They were $104/1000 which is a good price but had Hillary won I wonder how long I'd even be able to find/afford them.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
As always LDD, great work and deeply appreciated. The message to all is clear. The time to buy is right NOW.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post