Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4440089983

June 18, 2016, 12:21 PM
selogic
Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I will not be contributing to or participating in any panics or shortages. I bought everything I needed when it was quiet.

Me too , although I did buy a Glock 43 a few days after the shooting but that was in the works already.
June 18, 2016, 12:44 PM
Dtech
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
I will not be contributing to or participating in any panics or shortages. I bought everything I needed when it was quiet.

Me too , although I did buy a Glock 43 a few days after the shooting but that was in the works already.

I did the same but I had already been considering an additional rifle for a while and ended up pulling the trigger on Thursday when I was casually looking around to see the effects of the shooting and happened across one I really liked and was surprised to see available at a great sale price. Yes, I also used Father's Day as an excuse. Wink

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling
June 19, 2016, 03:02 PM
blasto
Bravo apparently did away with their discount on complete carriers...They are now full boat, $169.95 which kinda does away with the fun of things. No more free carriers or charging handles It adds almost a $100.00 to the equation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blasto,
June 19, 2016, 05:08 PM
XLT
I think it will calm down in a few weeks things will get restocked. amazing to watch though. Dang near couldn't give one away my local shop had one wall just filled with them and he said all the cheap ones went fast, more or less first time buyers.
June 19, 2016, 07:08 PM
Scooter123
quote:

Add me to the Prepared list. I learned my lesson after Sandy Hook. A small measure of good news is that at present things haven't seemed to have heated up much in my neck of the woods at present. However as we get closer to the election and Trump keeps jamming his foot further down his throat I expect things will get much worse.

I've stopped counting.
June 26, 2016, 01:45 AM
PossibleZombie
I've got plenty of ammo and firearms to meet my needs. I still will probably buy a stripped lower once I get back to the states if I can find one for a normal price. If they are gouging then I will just not worry about it since I really don't need another AR anyhow.
June 26, 2016, 02:11 AM
g4tx
quote:
Originally posted by blasto:
Bravo apparently did away with their discount on complete carriers...They are now full boat, $169.95 which kinda does away with the fun of things. No more free carriers or charging handles It adds almost a $100.00 to the equation .Which might be construed as opportunism.

Bravo Company offered the option to add a complete BCG for FREE with the purchase of an upper receiver group for the better part of 2014 and if I recall correctly, into 2015. They did not raise the price on their URG's for the duration of that offer.

Following the Free BCG deal, BCM offered adding a BCG for $69.99 with the purchase of an upper receiver group. That offer ran for more than a year and again, they did not raise the price on their URG's for the duration of that offer.

Prior to the Orlando shooting, they sent out a newsletter via e-mail stating the offer to add a BCG for $69.99 was ending mid June (ending June 15th at midnight if I recall correctly).

BCM did not offer free charging handles with any of their BCG upgrade offers.

The asking price of $169 for one of the best BCG's on the market is a more than fair price.

tp
June 30, 2016, 08:43 PM
RHINOWSO
Anyone who doesn't have an AR, 10 mags, a quality pistol, 6 mags, accessories and decent amount of ammo is a moron - only ones I remotely have sympathy for are those who just turned of age to own them. Everyone else, stooopid.
June 30, 2016, 08:57 PM
awa762
I came to legal gun-purchasing age after the 1994 "Crime Safety Bill" was passed. I still remember watching the news in the living room when I was 11 and seeing the headlines about it passing. My family was always a "no, you can't have a gun!" type of environment. When I turned 18, the first thing I did was to get a Mini-14, full capacity mags (promags, they were crap, and no one was around to warn me!) two 2,700 round cases of SA 5.56 surplus, and a very high quality pump shotgun. Now, my family could have prevented my addiction had that just let me have a damn gun when I was a teen. Ok... maybe not, but I like to tell myself that.

From those dogged days of the "crime bill," and the last big panic, I too have thoroughly learned my lesson.

But hey, if it isn't important to someone, they'll just defer it into a perpetual state of inaction. There's always something else to spend the money on, like cars, electronics, and vacations. If they truly do care about having some decent arms, they'd have acquired them in the first place.

Join and Support the NRA
June 30, 2016, 09:06 PM
Bigboreshooter
I stopped by the lgs today. They had stacks of AR's on the floor: DPMS for $499 and S&W for $599. Probably had 20 used ARs on the rack.

My guy there told me they had been selling a ton of black guns, but they were ordering a ton of them every week. No trouble keeping plenty of inventory. He said the panic only lasted a couple of days.

They also had crates of 223 stacked everywhere.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

June 30, 2016, 09:30 PM
roberth
This one didn't last long, SGAmmo is already back to next day shipping.

July 01, 2016, 12:02 AM
HKAngusKL
Folks will procrastinate a bit this summer. There may well be a calm before the storm hits where demand wanes. There may also still be bargains this summer on mags and ammo.

I think we'll see a huge spike in September and October. Just like clockwork.

If you guys haven't already bought what you need, there's still time to buy 'till it hurts. I am about tapped out, though. I probably bought too damned much over the past two years.
July 01, 2016, 08:23 AM
smlsig
quote:

Actually November 3rd could be the start of he mass panic..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
July 01, 2016, 10:19 AM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

Since Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch plans to announce on Friday that she will accept whatever recommendation career prosecutors and the F.B.I. director make about whether to bring charges related to Hillary Clinton’s personal email server, ... I'm thinking that if she gets indited maybe we won't even have to worry about her!

Personally I don't see how anyone being investigated by the FBI can even run for president ... but this is America!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
July 01, 2016, 10:37 AM
Bisleyblackhawk

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
July 01, 2016, 10:41 AM
selogic
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
quote:

Since Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch plans to announce on Friday that she will accept whatever recommendation career prosecutors and the F.B.I. director make about whether to bring charges related to Hillary Clinton’s personal email server, ... I'm thinking that if she gets indited maybe we won't even have to worry about her!
She will NOT get indicted . Won't happen .
July 01, 2016, 03:40 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
People had months to buy stuff at really great prices. If people are scrambling it's because they didn't prepare when they should have.

Man, anymore, I wonder. I honestly think that people just like to be part of the panic. I do. I get that some people will never prepare, but I think that some of them are just panic buying because they want to.

I know that sounds silly, but in 2013, I had friends that had lots of shit, but they bought other guns "just in case" that in the end they lost money on.

Ding Ding, Ding. We have a winner.

Something called Behavioral Economics has been well studied in the last few years. We see it with the stock market, the real estate market, and I believe we also see it in the gun / ammo market. There is no pressing interest when things are, as Para says, "Quiet." But when it feels like there might be a shortage or spike, everyone gets involved.

It's just something in our hunting/gathering instinct.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
July 01, 2016, 03:58 PM
ritter
quote:
quote:

Well, California panic just started. Brown signed a bunch of shit bills that, among other things, outlaws bullet buttoned ARs (the way we could legally purchase them) by the end of the year--registration of those already in possession is ordered. I guess we'll see how much CA market impacts the national market.
July 01, 2016, 08:41 PM
dewhorse
Spare parts and maybe another 5k (hit my goal of 10K last month) of 5.56 but otherwise I am good
July 04, 2016, 12:03 PM
fyimo
The people who hadn't stocked up on ammo and AR's before this last event were foolish. That's because after the last panic prices settled to low prices on AR's with dealers over stocked and wanting to sell them. Plenty of 223 and 556 ammo has been available at great prices were available everywhere.

It's hard to feel sorry for anyone who didn't get what they needed.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA