SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
*shrug* I went to one of my local indoor ranges, yesterday afternoon, to finally start testing and breaking in my new 10mm. Stopped into their store, beforehand, to buy a couple boxes of range ammo to replace what I knew I'd use. Range and store were moderately busy, but not especially so.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 18336 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have a class scheduled in late April that I am attending with my son. I am pretty stocked up on ammo, but have been practicing a lot more lately. I was looking online a week ago and things looked fine. Over last weekend, I started to notice the shelves were cleaned out of some calibers locally, specifically 9mm. I went ahead and placed my order for the 2k rounds we would need for the class just to know I would have it. Fast forward a few days later and the online sites have been picked over. I would have been fine on all ammo if it wasn’t for the class.


_________________________
"You can't fix stupid" - Ron White
 
Posts: 1695 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Ugh, Target Sports USA is cleaned out of 9/45 that I usually shoot. Good thing I bought a couple cases last month.

I'm also contemplating a class in June. Hopefully the panic is over by then.


...that I will support
and defend...
 
Posts: 699 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I was in Walmart this morning, kinda looking around and also to buy some snacks I keep at work (instead of paying vending machine prices)

It was busier than I'd seen it, even at Christmas time (for that time of morning ~7:30) ... the door greeter said that it was crazy busy last night, they had stocker's running cash registers.

All of the off brand cheap sweet cereals were gone (but plenty of rice and granola's) the meat section was pretty empty, no bottled water, no TP, no Raman noodles, even the single serving cups ... all the cheap dish soap was gone and very few bottles of premium brands like Dawn.

Evidently no one has thought of stocking up on ammo yet, shelves were full of shotgun, handgun and rifle ammo.


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 5264 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Anyone out buying two boxes of 9 and a box of .357 now is a bit behind the curve.
 
Posts: 2294 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
My wife wants to wear a mask, when going out, due to her concerns about the wuhan virus, but is afraid to because of the attacks. She has been receiving emails from the Japanese consulate, almost daily, regarding the virus and what's going on.

What attacks are you talking about?


____________________________
NRA Life Member, GOA, MGO Annual Member, Annual member MRPA
 
Posts: 12583 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Well, real or imagined, she's telling me Asians are being harrassed and attacked for causing the coronavirus. Presumably, between Facebook and the emails, there are a lot of folks concerned for their safety, not to mention their health.




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Benefactor Frown (Go away, Wayne!!! )

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 3945 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Just got back from my second trip to the LGS. This morning I bought a pair of Vertex pants. The same size as the two pair I bought last week.

They were busy. I watched maybe 10 handguns go out the door while I was there. All were the same type deal. Pistol, holster, an extra mag and a 20 round box or two of duty type ammo. Yesterday, two people cleaned out all the 9mm on display and all the PMAGS.

I got home and found out the pants I bought, despite being labeled as the same size, were way too big. Went back to the shop to return them 4 hours later, and they have sold out of smallish pistols, sold over 30k of 9mm and are running low on Glocks, particularly G19s.

Most are first time buyers who are afraid of the insanity. This is a larger shop that is well stocked. Very few of any black rifles or other caliber pistols being sold.




www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 34163 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
After a couple of mundane errands decided to stop at a couple local gun and sporting good stores on my way home. The gun section was busier than I have ever seen it at the sporting goods chain store and he small local gun shop had more customers in than I have seen in the 3-4 years I have been visiting the place
 
Posts: 2625 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most are first time buyers who are afraid of the insanity. This is a larger shop that is well stocked. Very few of any black rifles or other caliber pistols being sold.


I have heard that many buyers in CA were astounded and pissed that they had to wait 10 days for their guns, and that the process was difficult and extensive.



"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 13157 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The SG Ammo site pages are loading very slowly and this is the headline notice:

“Due to extremely high order volume orders placed at this time are expected to ship out in the next 5 to 10 days. Expect the potential for a 5 to 10 day delay from the time the order is placed to the time it is shipped from our warehouse.”

A couple of days ago the notice was that orders might not ship until Tuesday.




“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell
 
Posts: 42101 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Our small LGS has 2 box limit on 9mm. Says people been calling all week asking about 9. No limits on other calibers. Glock case was almost empty.

Place was full of loafers while I was there.

Hard to believe so many did not learn the lesson of 8 years of the obummer shortages.
 
Posts: 727 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most are first time buyers who are afraid of the insanity. This is a larger shop that is well stocked. Very few of any black rifles or other caliber pistols being sold.


I have heard that many buyers in CA were astounded and pissed that they had to wait 10 days for their guns, and that the process was difficult and extensive.

Not that difficult, nor extensive. Fill out Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS), pay for the gun and the DROS, wait at least 10 days (the DROS paperwork spells it out down to the second), but not more than 30 (again down to the second), then go back and pick up. If you fail to pickup before thirty days, fill out the paperwork again, pay for the re-DROS, then the 10/30 day clock starts again. Fun and games in the PRK.
 
Posts: 5137 | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I stopped at a gun shop in Las Vegas of Decatur and Hacienda. Wall had 2 AK models and 2 Colt AR style guns. No semi autos, Glock, S%W ,Taurus or Ruger. I bought a Ruger Security Six and counter person advised if I did not have a Nevada CCW they would hold gun and do paper work another day.
The Nevada background check number rings continually busy, several people waiting for background check's
Counter person advised been this way for three days and warehouses are backed up for orders if the guns the re trying order are in stock.
 
Posts: 95 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Not that difficult, nor extensive. Fill out Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS), pay for the gun and the DROS, wait at least 10 days


Oh, I realize this, but the buyers who were first timers, who perhaps believed politicians that it is super easy to buy guns, thought they could saunter into a shop, pay for it and go home with it like a bicycle or a tennis racket.



"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 13157 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
So glad I have a safe full of hardware and a warehouse full of ammo.

I cant even imagine being that first time buyer entering the apocalypse, waiting his ten days to buy his first pistol, and only getting 40 rounds of ammo with it.


______________________________________________________
Often times a very small man can cast a very large shadow
 
Posts: 5770 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My LGS is not selling a lot of guns, but a SHITLOAD of ammo. What do people thing is going to happen, Zombie outbreak?


CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
Florida Class K Licensed Instructor
NRA Certified LE Handgun/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
SIG and Glock and Springfield 1911 Armorer
 
Posts: 3313 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
What do people thing is going to happen ...?


Most probably believe that gun shops and other vendors will sell enough ammunition that shortages will develop, and when they want ammo in the future it won’t be available (as has happened in the past more times than I can remember). They therefore believe they should buy what they think they’ll need now rather than wait. Most people who are buying ammunition today already have the guns they need for the moment because they remember what happened in 2016 (and before) and took appropriate measures since, but ammunition is different because it’s consumed.




“The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
— Bertrand Russell
 
Posts: 42101 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Just got back from my second trip to the LGS. This morning I bought a pair of Vertex pants. The same size as the two pair I bought last week.

They were busy. I watched maybe 10 handguns go out the door while I was there. All were the same type deal. Pistol, holster, an extra mag and a 20 round box or two of duty type ammo. Yesterday, two people cleaned out all the 9mm on display and all the PMAGS.

I got home and found out the pants I bought, despite being labeled as the same size, were way too big. Went back to the shop to return them 4 hours later, and they have sold out of smallish pistols, sold over 30k of 9mm and are running low on Glocks, particularly G19s.

Most are first time buyers who are afraid of the insanity. This is a larger shop that is well stocked. Very few of any black rifles or other caliber pistols being sold.


So you're saying it's 34 times more likely You Will Buy a Glock?



Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
 
Posts: 17048 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Just got back from my second trip to the LGS. This morning I bought a pair of Vertex pants. The same size as the two pair I bought last week.

They were busy. I watched maybe 10 handguns go out the door while I was there. All were the same type deal. Pistol, holster, an extra mag and a 20 round box or two of duty type ammo. Yesterday, two people cleaned out all the 9mm on display and all the PMAGS.

I got home and found out the pants I bought, despite being labeled as the same size, were way too big. Went back to the shop to return them 4 hours later, and they have sold out of smallish pistols, sold over 30k of 9mm and are running low on Glocks, particularly G19s.

Most are first time buyers who are afraid of the insanity. This is a larger shop that is well stocked. Very few of any black rifles or other caliber pistols being sold.


So you're saying it's 34 times more likely You Will Buy a Glock?


Indeed. Or something small. Although there is only a 10
Percent chance of that.




www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 34163 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Panic at the Gunstore--The How, When, and Why of Gun Panics

© SIGforum 2020