SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Knight SR-25 ECC anyone owner opinions? Anyone shooting one in competition?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knight SR-25 ECC anyone owner opinions? Anyone shooting one in competition? Login/Join 
posted
I have enroute an unfired KAC SR-25 ECC. If anyone has one, have you shot long distance, 600 to 1,000? For factory federal gold, say 175, would 1,000 in F class work w suitable optics, perhaps a S&B 5-25?

I have only used bolt guns in that fashion but am wondering how it would work.

Concerned re 16" bbl, but apparently some have had great accuracy.

Robert

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
600 yards out of a 16" barrel is bit of a stretch, but if anything could do it accurately I'd put my money on a KAC

I've had two KAC SR25 Match rifles, one a 94 vintage which I sold in a time of need ... I needed to fund something else and like an idiot sold it ... it took me several years but finally came across a 93 model that was just as accurate with my hand loads and 168FMG would shoot groups measuring 3/8" to 5/8" at 300 yards so easily I got bored shooting it so it just sat in the safe.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I briefly shot a 20" barrel KAC SR25 in a precision rifle course. The SR25 was essentially the same rifle our instructor used as a Ranger sniper in the sandbox. Based on what I shot and what I saw put down range, the SR25 is among the most accurate AR10s out there. In the league of JP and Larue, almost up to the accuracy of GA Precision.

But the 20" SR25 struggled past 800-ish yards. At 750 it was noticeably less accurate than any student's bolt action 308. By 1,000 yards the difference was dramatic. IMO it was a combination of the short 20" barrel and the inherent difficulties of shooting a semi-auto accurately at distance.

Now chop four inches off the barrel and the rifle's performance at distance becomes even more challenging. Sure, the 16" SR25 will hit steel and paper at 1,000 yards. A 175 grain SMK at that distance will likely be subsonic, and could begin wobbling badly at any moment. It might even hit the target sideways -- nothing like a keyhole impact to tell your bullet in done.

Put any glass you want on that 16" SR25 -- S&B, Nightforce, Vortex....even Tangent Theta. It won't matter. It's not the right gun for 1,000 yards. And don't even consider it for F-class competition.

500, 600, maybe even 700 yards? Yep, the 16" SR25 should be fun to shoot.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. It sounds like this is a good platform to 600 yards and the posts I have read about 1000 yard shots w the 16" must be mostly pinging steel, which now makes sense, as opposed to hitting precisely in a target scoring ring. The long shots are better for a different gun. This makes sense. Good shooting. Robert

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
My ECC loved 175's and ML118(?). You won't have a problem going out to 1000 with it, just find what ammo it likes. 168's for under 600 and then 175's for above that if you talk with Jack from KAC.

It is definitely a fun rifle to shoot. I use to run mine with irons out to 300 but I typically had a NF 3.5-15 on it and it worked just fine. Most KAC fans will recommend Leupold 1-8 scope for up close and a little reach with it. On a bench shooting 175's at 100 yards(I know not a long distance I was at 0.45 moa with my rifle).

For F class, you have better options. If banging steel it will do the job without any issues. Hell I shoot my 16" AI out to 1400, just need the right ammo.

Hit up Jack from KAC, he is a good source of user info and one hell of a shooter.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
the posts I have read about 1000 yard shots w the 16" must be mostly pinging steel, which now makes sense, as opposed to hitting precisely in a target scoring ring.

For grins I estimated FGMM 175 to have MV of 2,460 fps from your 16" barrel. Assume 4,000' Density Altitude, which is likely a hot summer day in your neck of the woods.

Per JBM at 1,000 yards:
42.2 MOA of elevation required (12.3 mils)
bullet velocity of mach 1.03 at target

The 175 SMK generally flies fairly well to subsonic speeds, but you never know from one bullet to the next. Best accuracy will be when velocity is above, say, mach 1.25 -- which occurs at 775 yards.

Now for windage. At 1,000 yards a 10 mph cross wind moves the bullet 9.5 MOA. Assuming your target is an IPSC-sized plate at 1,000 yards, you must call wind within 2 mph to stay on the plate horizontally.

To put it in perspective with my 22lr training rifle, the your 308 ballistics at 1,000 are similar to a 22lr shooting at a 6"x10" IPSC-shaped target at 300 yards. Not a high percentage shot.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is about 587 feet above sea level at the airfield at Camp Robinson; their 1000 yd range must be close. I do not know how that elevation affects it but wanted to share it.

posted Hide Post
So maybe your Density Altitude is closer to 3,000' in the summer. Not a huge change.

With this assumption you'd need 43.4 MOA of elevation for 1000, with velocity of mach .99 at the target.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
I have enroute an unfired KAC SR-25 ECC. If anyone has one, have you shot long distance, 600 to 1,000? For factory federal gold, say 175, would 1,000 in F class work w suitable optics, perhaps a S&B 5-25?

I have only used bolt guns in that fashion but am wondering how it would work.

Concerned re 16" bbl, but apparently some have had great accuracy.

Robert

The simplest answer to the bolded question above is en emphatic NO. The bullet is wrong, "factory load" is wrong, the optics is wrong but most of all, the rifle is wrong. All the numbers that fritz is producing explain why it's not a good idea. But worst of all is that 16 inch barrel. The people around you are going to HATE you when you shoot.

However, if you want to contribute money to the winners of the competition, by all means, go ahead.

I have an AR-10 (T) with a 20inch barrel and I load 175gr bullets for it. I also have a little bit of experience in F-TR with a .308 at 1000 yards. I'm not even going to try F-TR with my AR-10. Not even 600 yards. I've been toying with the idea of shooting it at 300 yards in F-TR or MROS. That could be fun.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post