SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    6.5x284 vs 6.5 PRC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 vs 6.5 PRC Login/Join 
posted
Guys- I'm building a new long range hunting rifle. Like I really need one!!

Looking at these two calibers. My builder is recommending PRC due to slightly better performance, short chamber, and availability of factory ammo for practice, etc.

Thoughts? Please keep it to these two. I have 30 Nosler, 30-06, and 270.

Thanks

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 1000yd F-Class world the 6.5x284 has done well in the past, reason for that. The PRC is a unknown. Good friend just had a 6.5PRC chambered for a AI rifle, shooting LR steel matches. Give me a few weeks and I'll give you report on its accuracy with 150 SMK's. Different use, but will be good info.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great source, Offgrid. THanks

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
whats wrong with your 30 nosler?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a thing wrong with it. I just have a sickness!!

Actually looking for a bit more of a hiking/mountain gun. The 30, while a Christensen so relatively light, is just a bit unwieldy for longer hikes.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Wish I had something constructive to add here, but I do not know the differences.

I hunt with a 6.5-06 which is like the 6.5-284 and had its day in the long range world.

Let us know what you find.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TampaSIG:
Not a thing wrong with it. I just have a sickness!!

Actually looking for a bit more of a hiking/mountain gun. The 30, while a Christensen so relatively light, is just a bit unwieldy for longer hikes.

I hear that, Im addicted to mountain rifles myself. I handled a burger mountain rifle today and it was hard but I had to say NO!!!

Sorry I'm not more help in regards to the calibers, While I'm at s point in my life and career where I can afford a few guns, I still don't feel like I'm in a spot where I can get into unique calibers since I don't reload.

I know its not what you asked about but the Weatherby vanguard wilderness is available in 6.5-300wby this year, I bet thats a screamer.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My biggest memory of the 6.5x284 was pulling in the pits of an F-Class match. At 600yds the shooter 2 targets down put 5 shots in a row that were all covered by 1 paster. He won the match dropping 2 points out of 600. Pretty awesome from what I saw. The 6.5 PRC is newer and maybe better (or not) but I'll always have a lot of respect for the 6.5x284 in skilled hands! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked to my custom ammo source today. Won’t mention name in case I get some of this a bit wrong, but most of you probably know of him. He has help d me work up loads for 270, 30 Nosler, and 300WM (for sale soon, by the way) and they are all stellar.

Anyway, he really likes the PRC for these reasons:

Similar ultimate ballistics to 284.
Short action.
Loads he has been developing use faster burning powders allowing shorter barrels (22”-24”).
Way case packs out can still use longer Bergers et al if you like (I think this may have been in comparison to another similar caliber where he claims case is “packed out”).

Bottom line, great choice for lightweight mountain-type rifle.

Just thought I’d share. Now to find a rifle maker. So far Gunwerks, Proof, Seekins, and a few really small guys.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The father and son 6.5-284 shooters in my club change their barrels every year.

They come to the range with the new barrel fitted, fire ten shots to get it fully settled, and then shoot the rest of the season with it, in the sure and certain knowledge that those first ten shots were the very best it would ever do.

Dad shoots Bartlein and son shoots Lilja barrels.

Both are winners .

tac

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some interest in the 6.5 PRC. If it's as accurate as Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor, it bumps the factory ammo user into the extended long range (ELR) competition with an effective cartridge.

GA Precision introduced their 6.5 4S chambered rifles a few years ago. It's my understanding that the 4S is very similar to a 6.5 SAUM. Originally touted as a competition and hunting chamber, GAP quietly dropped "precision" from its literature and pushed the 4S as a flat-shooting hunting rifle round. I've heard from those who play the ELR game that 6.5 SAUM isn't the best long range precision round, either.

So from a hunting standpoint, your decision for a 6.5 PRC chamber will likely produce a nice rifle for your needs.

For the precision shooters, I hope Hornady's PRC does work. Maybe its slightly smaller case capacity -- as compared to 4S & 6.5 SAUM -- will produce a more accurate round.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Fritz - I have a friend who built a 6.5 SAUM and quickly sold it. I think the accuracy node for the 6.5 offerings don't pair well with the available bullets being made commercially in .264. Every 6.5 CM I've built seems to like 2780ish for the 140's and 2850-2900 for the 130's. Regardless of bullet manufacturer. Any faster and groups open up and I start to see pressure signs.

He recently built a 7 SAUM and it's a hammer. I believe the higher BC .284 bullet choices do much better being pushed fast. He sent me a photo of a sub four inch group shot at 900 yards during fire forming.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity...How far do You think You will shoot at a deer or antelope?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to hunt at 1000 yards. I would like to shoot steel at long distance, however. I have hunted Antelope at 600-700. I've hunted mule deer at 500+.

Let's be honest- the rifles I have are capable of this (they did it). I'm just itching to buy something new and more capable than what I have.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a bit of experience with a couple of 6.5 x .284's and I think THAT is the route I would take.

Go quick twist barrel and shoot 130's or 140's.

Quality brass available as well as Nosler factory ammo in a pinch.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post