SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig SSG 3000 recommendation or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig SSG 3000 recommendation or not? Login/Join 
posted
Update: Thanks all. I am passing on it.

For owners, do you recommend a made in Germany Sig SSG 3000 for ranges 800 to 1000? Are there pluses or minuses to this gun? Considering one locally in .308

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tschiemer,

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend the .308 chambering for distances of 800-1000 yards. There are far better offerings for those distances.

With that being said - the SSG is a great rifle and with good glass - you will be able to achieve hits at 800-1000.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disappointingly (it is my impression that) Sig really doesn't have any parts for the rifle or particularly support it. Quite frustrating after having spent so much money on the rifle.

That said aftermarket companies like Benchmark Barrels makes adapters and barrels for the rifle.

Similarly for magazines you have to go to the aftermarket. Accurate-mag sells one for 99$.

Were i to do it again i would look elsewhere.

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with the SSG. Some on this board sure seem to like it. A common complaint is the lack of support from Sig. I suspect the rifle is accurate enough, but likely not up to the accuracy levels of gunsmiths using quality actions and barrels.

A .308 can hit targets at 800 to 1000 yards. My training rifle is a 308 and I shoot it on a regular basis. That said, I see no reason for someone to start with a 308 caliber -- the caliber is getting long in the tooth. Sure, there's lots of factory loads for 308. But for target shooting, the 6.5mm bores based on a 308-ish case are superior calibers.

I recommend passing.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Both of mine were both 1/2 MOA or better rifles. At the 1200.00 price in which they were going for I cant think of better rifle for the money.

I ended up selling and buying apir of FN SPR's instead, one of my FN's isnt as accurate as my SSG and defitneyl not as smooth, however, I can get parts jsut about everywhere. That was the nly reason I sold my SSG's. Should something break I wouldnt know where to start looking. In reality I dont shoot eough to where it would have been issue but it is what it is.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
When I got my SSG ... from Walmart, it appeared the receiver, barrel and bolt were all Swiss made and besides the 5/8x24 threads on the barrel, only the stock was "American" ... everything was extreemly smooth, to a degree you don't see much outside of custom guns. The 308 barrel easily around .5" and I've shot a few 2.5" groups at 500 yards.

Due to health reasons I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for mine and am extremely happy with it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was the 6.5 barrel from Benchmark? wondering if there are other options that might be more cost effective?

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's a Benchmark, I don't know of anyone else that makes them, but I really didn't shop around ... I'd looked on the Heart, Kriger, Lilja, McGowan websites and that of a couple other makers but didn't see anyone else that specifically advertised them like Benchmark.

The finished product absolutely hit what I was hoping for and I'd still like to find a McMillan stock for it. It's one of the few firearms I have that I'll have a custom case made for. If/when I ever sell it, I don't know if I'll ever get my money back out of it, or even close but since I don't expect to sell it, I'm not too concerned about it.

posted Hide Post
I looked at the Sig SSG 3000.

I chose the Steyr SSG 04, I'm very happy with my choice.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That's a good choice as well ... I had a Steyr SSG 69 (P1) about 20 years ago; it was a great rifle and very accurate, the only reason I let it go was that I couldn't find mag's for it. It came with 1 5-round. In looking for them I several broken ones being sold as parts which I bought. When I did find a complete working one they were $100 or so and sadly, $100 went a bit further than it does today ... I finally ended up with 3 or 4 and I got proficient at taking them apart, cleaning them. But in the end the scarcity of parts worried me. Of course I face that now with the SiG ... but I'm happy and if something breaks, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I looked on GunBroker just now there are several 5 rounders in the $70+ price range and 10 rounders which were vaporware "back-in-the-day" and they're around $250, some a little more, some a little less ... but it is a fine rifle and I'm sure you'll be happy with it!