SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Stuck suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck suppressor Login/Join 
Picture of swage
posted
I picked up a M&P 22 Compact this afternoon.
I screwed on my Dead Air Mask and shot for a bit.
I went to unscrew the suppressor and the adapter came off also. It is now stuck in my Mask. I tried to use the wrench that came with the M&P to remove it. No luck thus far. The end cap with the stuck adapter is now in my freezer.

Dead Air isn't open until Monday. I just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. I don't have a strap wrench small enough to grip the end cap.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Vice on one end? Smaller strap wrench? Either might be easier than sending it in.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Does the adapter have wrench flats on it ?? If yes then just remove the end cap and vice it and use a wrench. If no flats you can still vice it and use channel locks...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Try shooting it (to heat it up), then see if you can remove it.

Also, liquid wrench helped when I had my 22 Sparrow in a similar situation.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Spray it with Kroil, let it soak for 15 minutes and try again. If need be, wrap the other end with a piece of leather and clamp in a vise. Be very careful with that!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with kroil or some other penetrating oil. Heat is going to be more effective than cold, too.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Can you unscrew Mask end plate and take baffles out?
Thread adapter and last baffle in ultrasonic to unscrew.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try shooting some more and get it hot, or you will need a vise and a strap wrench to get it off. If you don't have a vise try two strap wrenches. Once it's off start using 'Thread Smart' antiseize on all threads on the suppressor as well as on the adapter and threads of your barrel, and even inside the tube.

Griffen Armaments recommended it; you can buy it online at McMaster-Carr, item 9438K1.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6...rr_part_number_.html

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
It's on it's way back to Dead Air. I soaked it, froze it, heated it...... nothing worked.

Oddly enough I was asked to send the whole suppressor back, not just the mount. Perhaps others with more knowledge could explain that part to me.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always recommend antiseize on barrel threads that attach suppressors or brakes.

Just my $0.02

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
I always recommend antiseize on barrel threads that attach suppressors or brakes.

Just my $0.02

Andrew

My 03 recommended anti-seize as well, and IIRC the manual that came with both my SWR Octane and YHM Mite did also

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:

Just my $0.02

Andrew

Good idea. That is something I have not been in the habit of doing.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Another anti-seize user here. I keep a tube in my range bag and apply it liberally before anything gets threaded on a barrel.

And I've STILL had to occasionally use a wrench to get a suppressor off my barrel. Even though I never shoot fast enough for my suppressors to get much beyond "pleasantly toasty".

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post