SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going 'Old School'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going 'Old School' Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
My 'old school' collection is a couple of late 1860s Sniders and an 1861 cavalry musketoon.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter1201:
Any kindred spirits among the forum membership?

Yep. I'm a huge history nerd, especially early-to-mid 1900s military history. Modern guns are fantastic tools, and I own quite a few and rely on them every day for duty and defensive use, but my true passion is historical military rifles.

At one time, I owned about 4x as many milsurp rifles as I did modern firearms. But I downsized my collection a few years ago, selling quite a few of my various milsurp rifles. My "collection" had become more of an "accumulation", with me picking up whatever I found that was interesting or a good deal. I just had a mish-mash of various countries, eras, and calibers. So I decided to narrow my focus down to just what truly interested me, consolidate calibers, sell off most of the other milsurps that didn't fit into that narrowed criteria, and free up some funds for other projects in the process.

Now my milsurp collection is only about 2x my modern collection, and is almost exclusively US/British/German/Russian guns from the WW1 to WW2 era. And now I only have to stockpile .30-06, .30 Carbine, .303, 8mm Mauser, and 7.62x54R. Wink

(Though I do still have a smattering of select others remaining, like a few Finn, Swiss, Israeli, etc.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'd also be interested in a 30-40 Krag, and some kind of Mauser, particularly a VZ24 would be cool (I lived in Prague for a while, so the Czech connection interests me).

Two of my favorite rifles that I ended up selling off in the great downsizing were Czechoslovakian military Mausers.

The first was a pre-WW2 Czech military Vz. 24, with the large Czech rampant lion crest. Most Vz. 24s out there on the market are commercial/export models, without the cool Czech crest on the receiver.

The other was a post-WW2 Czech military K98k. No big crest on these, but they do have smaller rampant lion proof marks.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Here is all about one of my "old school" guns.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s...1374-38-200-pix.html

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Went old-school this weekend too...

Special build for this retired marine...

Complete with all the trimmings...

That same marine gifted me this no-dash P&R'd 629 last year...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post