SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going 'Old School'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going 'Old School' Login/Join 
posted
I've grown weary of most things 'AR'. I blame it all on John Wayne's 'Sands of Iwo Jima'. My new passion is for the lowly M1 Carbine and the mighty Springfield M1903A3. Any kindred spirits among the forum membership?

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I got my Garand back from Dad this weekend. It’s been rebarrelled into .308, so it may not count.

Had to clean the mildew, it had sat in a rifle bag under the bed for a few years. But, it made him happy to hold one again, so... yeah. Besides, a cotton ball and some vinegar made quick work of the white spots.

Did run across a 43 Remington 1903 that was in suspiciously fantastic condition. History unknown (part of an estate), and not yet for sale. So I bought the Walther KKJ instead. Now to get it up to snuff.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to pick up both a Garand and an M1903. Holding off on the M1 Carbine for now as prices are nuts.

I do have a K98, Arisaka 99, Finn Mosin, Enfield No.1 Mk III*, an M1A and an FAL, so I can and do get the "old school" on fairly often.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm with you in spirit, if not the specifics. I use ARs and plastic guns for work. I own a couple of ARs, a P320, and a Glock, and I enjoy shooting them, but my true passion lies with wood and steel. I recently picked up an M1 Garand and have really enjoyed learning about it and shooting it. I also have a wood-stocked Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, and lever actions in .357, .30-30, .45 Colt, and .45-70, and a few bolt actions. I'd love to have an 03A3 and an M1 Carbine, but I missed the boat when these were available and affordable. Maybe some day I'll stumble upon a deal I can't pass up.

I'd also be interested in a 30-40 Krag, and some kind of Mauser, particularly a VZ24 would be cool (I lived in Prague for a while, so the Czech connection interests me). Mosins are ok...my brother has one and it's interesting...I should have picked up a couple when they were $69 at Dunham's...but there's no way I'm paying $200+ for a garbage rod. Maybe a really nice Finnish example.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I’ll say it. M1 Carbine prices are nuts.... for a reason. Yes, it has the history, and the looks, and it is nice and light, and shoots a easy recoiling cartridge. But, there is something else. Something about not just the weight, but the balance and ergonomics. It just feels right. It comes up to your shoulder, the sights aligning...

Years ago, when I was younger, and dumber, I owned a carbon-15. It was more accurate from a rest than the M1 Carbine, and the same weight. But, offhand, the WWII out shot it, every time. It balances just right, and feels like a natural extension more than any other rifle. The AR is the only other thing close, but, the Carbine has something special.

Then, add in the pretty wood stock, the history. Lower cost ammo than a 308, and a pussycat in recoil. Cost per round is only a couple cents more than brass .223.

It is a shame that prices are moving north, that CMP doesn’t have any anymore. Yes, the M1 Carbine is the one rifle I’m as likely to shoot as an AR.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have been "old school" since school was new. Model 70s and 722 for me any day.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I go old school with lever guns a lot.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shooter1201:
lowly M1 Carbine

Lowly? Poor choice of words, amigo. It's far from it. Smile

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy older firearms and the M1 carbine is on that list. It has an amazing history serving US troops and our allies from WW2 to Korea, Vietnam and on. Today, it handles almost like a 10/22 with a round with slightly better ballistics than .357 magnum. They are expensive but they will only go up in value.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've grown weary of most things 'AR'.

Me too. That's not to say I oppose ARs in any way - I don't. I just got tired of them. For me, no beauty, no character, nothing I cared to pass to my son, and moreover, nothing he would have really looked forward to receiving. So I've sold most of the ones I owned and bought some rifles and handguns I had in my younger years that I always regretted selling. Guns I sold to acquire ARs. Checkered wood and blued steel is where my worldy passion has always been. I'm going back to it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like ruger357, I went older school with lever guns. Although if I was able to get a nice M14, I would definitely do it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm with you in spirit, if not the specifics. I use ARs and plastic guns for work. I own a couple of ARs, a P320, and a Glock, and I enjoy shooting them, but my true passion lies with wood and steel. I recently picked up an M1 Garand and have really enjoyed learning about it and shooting it. I also have a wood-stocked Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, and lever actions in .357, .30-30, .45 Colt, and .45-70, and a few bolt actions. I'd love to have an 03A3 and an M1 Carbine, but I missed the boat when these were available and affordable. Maybe some day I'll stumble upon a deal I can't pass up.

I'd also be interested in a 30-40 Krag, and some kind of Mauser, particularly a VZ24 would be cool (I lived in Prague for a while, so the Czech connection interests me). Mosins are ok...my brother has one and it's interesting...I should have picked up a couple when they were $69 at Dunham's...but there's no way I'm paying $200+ for a garbage rod. Maybe a really nice Finnish example.

When I was an LEO I had all of the 'high-speed, low-drag' stuff, as well.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
I've grown weary of most things 'AR'.

Me too. That's not to say I oppose ARs in any way - I don't. I just got tired of them. For me, no beauty, no character, nothing I cared to pass to my son, and moreover, nothing he would have really looked forward to receiving. So I've sold most of the ones I owned and bought some rifles and handguns I had in my younger years that I always regretted selling. Guns I sold to acquire ARs. Checkered wood and blued steel is where my worldy passion has always been. I'm going back to it.

That is EXACTLY where I am, now. Having ng said that, I gave my son-in-law a DelTon Echo AR15 and a G19, plus ammo and mags for both, for Christmas. They live SW of Houston. I gave my daughter a G42 earlier.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have younger folks see my A2 Match rifle and say that it is a antique,,,,,

well past old school, Big Grin

as much as I like an AR, no collection is complete till you have a M1, 1903 and a carbine (and of course a M14)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Like ruger357, I went older school with lever guns.

I dumped a few ARs with some ACOGs on them. I bought 4 new lever guns, all Marlins. Two 336s in .30-30 and .35 Remington, an 1894 in .44 Magnum, and an 1895 in .45-70. Here they are in a gun cabinet my grandfather made for me (one of two) about 35 years ago. I also picked up two revolvers, a Redhawk and a Super Blackhawk. I owned all these guns in my 20s - early 40s, except the .35 Remington (which I always wanted) and ended up selling all of them to fund other things, like ARs.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
absolutely nothing wrong with simple, reliable firearms

the gun industry marketing departments hate guys like us though Big Grin

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my M1 Carbine.
Picked it up years ago for a great price, and not a bad time with that gun yet!
It's a great plinker. Only one of the 6 mags I originally had gave me problems. The Korean ones are GTG. Ammo is a little expensive in comparison, but overall, a great gun!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nothing sexier than a Daniel Defense M4A1 with all the trimmings.

But, old school is plenty good too. Wink

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Love my M1 Carbine for the history and what Shackleford said...its like the rifle aims itself once you get it to you shoulder.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Nothing sexier than a Daniel Defense M4A1 with all the trimmings.

Sometime you should try the Airweight version. Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post