SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Standard Products M1 Carbines?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard Products M1 Carbines? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a Standard Products M1 Carbine made between Sept 43 and Jan 44. It has been refinished, and the stock magazine is almost a total bust (rust wise). It shoots well, but you have to put upward pressure on the magazine to get it to feed reliably. The seller found an after market magazine that I'm going to try tomorrow.

Does anyone know of or have any opinions on this rifle? Looks like they made about 247,000 of them, but didn't manufacture any barrels.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Rolan, buy it, shoot it and enjoy it. I have a Standard Products M1 similar to yours except it has a complete aftermarket stock that has a longer length to it. It also has a Winchester barrel and shoots wonderfully. I have an original stock for it but haven't switched it out. Just purchase some of the South Korean 15 round mags and you should be good. It sounds like the old GI mag has been compromised. Of my eight M1 Carbines I enjoy shooting my "SP" perhaps the most, probably because of the stock. But I can't use it in CMP matches.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
An Early WWII receiver SP M1 Carbine for comparison, should you be interested.

Standard Products M1 Carbine

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
mags are still not too expensive, and the Korean supposedly work very well,

you didn't mention a price,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As long as it's reasonably priced, get it.

The feeding issues are almost certainly from the old magazine. If it happens to still have feeding issues with a new magazine, the next thing to try would be replacing the magazine catch. Get one of the updated postwar M2 mag catches with the underlined M on the button. They're beefed up, and can solve feeding issues, especially with 30 round magazines.

While you're buying new mags and maybe a mag catch, grabbing a Wolff replacement spring kit is a good idea too. No telling how long it's been since the springs were replaced. And at around $15, they're cheap insurance.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. He hasn't really mentioned a price yet. Depends on if it is reliable. I'll take some pictures.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it fires properly by putting upward pressure on the magazine, I'd buy it as is if you can get it cheap enough......make the guy a low offer as is......it's either magazine or the mag catch most likely......probably the magazine though.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instant Karma. Buy it and I will send you a couple of usgi mags. Email is in my profile.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
Instant Karma. Buy it and I will send you a couple of usgi mags. Email is in my profile.

Thanks Herkdriver. I sent you an email.
Are you into C-130s?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
USGI magazines with M1 carbines are the throw-away part, not the part that determines how well the rifle works. Buy it, get yourself a pack of Wolff springs (they sell a kit, it's worth it), get you some of those Korean mags and enjoy it. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
Of my eight M1 Carbines I enjoy shooting

So that’s where they all went!

Smile

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Well, it is mine now. Going to order a spring kit and replacement magazine catch, and butt plate.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Rolan! Enjoy that rifle. Smile

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:

Thanks Herkdriver. I sent you an email.
Are you into C-130s?

Retired 130 pilot. So yeah, kinda Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really dig my M1 carbine, got it in 2014 or so, rebuilt and reparkerized by a gunsmith. I made it tacti-cool. Runs like a top. Great out to 100m. The Korean mags work just aa well or better than USGI mags. Enjoy.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
And here she is! Now the work begins. Springs, magazine catch, and replacement butt have been ordered.

Photo Jan 27, 10 25 11 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 27, 10 25 20 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 27, 10 25 34 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 27, 10 25 55 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wow. Nice early features! It even appears to have the early Dulite blue finish on many of its parts.

Nearly every M1 Carbine has had the push button safety switched to a flip safety, the barrel band switched to one with an integral bayonet lug, and the rear sight replaced with a click-adjustable one. These upgrades were gradually introduced in late WW2 production, and retroactively applied to just about every carbine as they came through arsenals for repair/refurb. Carbines were also reparkerized during arsenal refurb.

So this carbine has never had the postwar upgrades and total repark applied. As a result, I wouldn't bother with replacing the mag catch with a postwar upgraded one... Leave it the way it is. It's a nice collector piece. (Unfortunately, the stock has been refinished, which hurts its collectors value.)

Here's an overview:
WW2 configuration (yours)
Late WW2 configuration
Very late/post WW2 configuration

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Wow. Nice early features! It even appears to have the early Dulite blue finish on many of its parts.

Nearly every M1 Carbine has had the push button safety switched to a flip safety, the barrel band switched to one with an integral bayonet lug, and the rear sight replaced with a click-adjustable one. These upgrades were gradually introduced in late WW2 production, and retroactively applied to just about every carbine as they came through arsenals for repair/refurb. Carbines were also reparkerized during arsenal refurb.

So this carbine has never had the postwar upgrades and total repark applied. As a result, I wouldn't bother with replacing the mag catch with a postwar upgraded one... Leave it the way it is. It's a nice collector piece. (Unfortunately, the stock has been refinished, which hurts its collectors value.)

Here's an overview:
Late WW2 configuration

Thanks. I'm going to replace the "rusty butt" and springs, but I'll save all the parts.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Here's an overview:
Late WW2 configuration

reblued,, yes,

Dulite,,, likely not,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Let us know how she shoots once you get the parts installed. We love our carbines. I wouldn’t mind getting another one down the road.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post