SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Garand in multigun match
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand in multigun match Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Shot a UML multigun match with my "beater" Blue Sky import M1 Garand today. Snowed like crazy for the first bit and some people left. Too bad because it got a lot better later. Fun stages. I did pretty ok on the long steel with this rifle, surprisingly (after I dialed in a lot of elevation).

for any interested here's the video. Like/share/subscribe if you want

https://youtu.be/xi9LWEV5ufI

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just love the Garand! I own a 4 digit serial number rifle (not in gas trap configuration though), and had shot a few Garand matches several years ago. Shot great prone with a sling, but couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle standing.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
LOL

I need to get trained up on prone with a sling. I mostly just blast away and miss a lot.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
LOL

I need to get trained up on prone with a sling. I mostly just blast away and miss a lot.

At the end of the day it's all about having fun, right!? It's all good!! Shooting a Garand, and a Springfield, is one of the most enjoyable shooting experiences I've ever had.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've shot several rifle and 3 gun matches with the M1 and mostly enjoyed them all. Used to shoot my M14S as well, sort of shooting Heavy Metal division when there wasn't one.

Eventually it was the rising ammo costs that put an end to it. I said "mostly" above for one reason. Shooting the matches was fun, beating lots of guys with 30 round AR mags was lots of fun... but my last match, two things happened. One, I wore one of my high tech go fast shooting shirts, I learned that metal butt plates and slippery material don't match. Every one or two shots the stock would squirt up or down my shoulder and I'd have to reposition it. That was a long frustrating match. And when it was over, I calculated the replacement cost of the ammo I'd just shot, combined with the match fee, it was about a $350 day. Frown

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Luckily I've been loading from an inherited 20 Lb keg of H4895 powder and .17/ea Nosler 168 CCs so it's actually cheaper to shoot this rifle than my 5.56 ones until I run out (soon).

Results posted. First place! LOL

100 seconds ahead of 2nd/last place Wink

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I shot a few 3 gun matches with my Garand years ago, loved it!

Shooters shooting at other burms would come over to see what was making all the noise, they were so used to hearing the AR's.
Watching the dirt fly when the 3006 bullets hit compared to the 5.56 was also a good show.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked the pits at Camp Perry the two years I shot the Garand match. I was amazed how loud it was when the round punched the hole in the target!!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I shot a few 3 gun matches with my Garand years ago, loved it!

Shooters shooting at other burms would come over to see what was making all the noise, they were so used to hearing the AR's.
Watching the dirt fly when the 3006 bullets hit compared to the 5.56 was also a good show.

indeed! Big Grin My favorite is blowing the close paper targets off their sticks.
https://youtu.be/Y11HLTeKQoo?t=10m10s

if the link doesn't take you to the right place in the video, fast forward to 10 minutes 10 seconds

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
In my younger days I shot a lot of IPSC-type stuff but with rifles. Like 3-gun but before they added the other two guns. Mostly with an M1A or AR-15, but once or twice just for giggles I shot a match with my DCM Garand. Great fun. The top handguard was smoking a little after the higher round-count stages, though. Big Grin

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few guys run 2-gun in surplus/vintage matches and it is a blast.

Posts: 10 | Registered: March 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Must've been very early eighties, I remember my dad showing me how to load two rounds (crossing each other) into a Garand clip to compete in a ten-round DCM shoot. He told me he wouldn't have the fancier rifles (ARs) cause they tore up the brass so you couldn't reload them.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post