SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mandatory SCAR17 upgrades.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandatory SCAR17 upgrades. Login/Join 
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted
Hey gents,
I picked up a used SCAR 17 from a buddy. He already put the SuperScar trigger in it, added the PWS rail, and provided his extra mags. What are the upgrades this rifle needs to really shine? I'm looking to add the KDG stock, and seriously considering replacing the PWS extension with the KDG MLOK one. What have you guys liked for selectors and charging handles? Anything else I'm not thinking of? I'll probably be SBRing it with the factory 13" assembly at some point, but for now I'm looking at some of the creature comfort things...

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on your optic, you may not like the KDG (ACR) stock. I tried it on mine, but went back to the factory stock because the raised cheekrest on the KDG stock was too low for me.

Also didn’t like the KDG rail. The picatinny rail section forward of the gas block was pretty useless since it was lowered, and I didn’t like how it blocked the front of the gas plug, making it sometimes a little difficult to remove for cleaning. Swapped mine out the the PMM rail.

Here’s mine. Geissele trigger and Magpul safety.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Outside of the trigger, there werent really any other "must have" updates. I did find lots of nice wants though.

Handl lower to take Pmags
Desert Dog charging handle
Mrex rail
KDG SAS stock

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Buy a variety of gas control screw sizes and tune the gas system. It won’t make for a sexy picture but it will make a substantial impact on how the gun shoots, especially when running a suppressor.

I like the Gg&G charging handle, simple and it clears optics well without being oversized.

I do like the KDG Mlok rail as well. It’s good for allowing a forward grip on your support hand with more room to mount accessories. I dont find it a necessity though.

You already have the Geissele trigger which is the other big one.

I have the KDG stock on one of my Scar 16’s and its only ok. It looks nice but I don’t prefer it over the OEM stock. I would also avoid it on the 17S. You will likely bend the rear recover screws since the KDG stock adaptor is aluminum and transmits higher peak impact forces to those screws. This issue is especially prevalent on the 17S, not as much of an issue on the 16S. The OEM polymer stock adaptor absorbs some of these loads more effectively which prevents the screws from bending.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like BrettB nailed the kdg stock 17 issue. I'd say the trigger was the big thing to fix but since you are good on that front the rest is just personal preference. Enjoy, it's a really good rifle. If you are going to put a sight on it just make sure it's quality as the 17 has a reputation for breaking the cheap stuff.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Cases of 308 ammo and a backup barrel is all the upgrades you need.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Depending on the optics you choose (should you decide use one) consider the GG&G charging handle. Looks goofy, works great.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Apex bolt handle Cool

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've a bunch of these and tried a lot of things. The only thing I would consider mandatory is the geissle.
The KDG stock I did not find useful and went back to stock. The things I've done that I like are PMM sling mounts, PMM rail replacement panels (mostly to make the foreend slimmer).
I have used an extension to get a little more space for a gun has a lot of stuff on it. Again I like the PMM one but really have only tried that and the FN one. I use the bobro mounts so the levers go on the right to make the stock charging handle issue not a problem for me. I have tried and used a couple of different charging handles but dislike the shape of the aftermarket ones I tried and run the stock one in my competition rifle. I'm contemplating the HDD lower to get the option of Pmags, but haven't done it yet...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first; some triggers aren't that bad and depending on what you are doing it might be acceptable. Otherwise get the Geissele Super SCAR trigger.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It's good to hear that a $2,500+ rifle doesn't need anything more than a $350 trigger to be really adequate!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Depending on the optics you choose (should you decide use one) consider the GG&G charging handle. Looks goofy, works great.

^^^ This is my next change... I hope it is an upgrade. Two folks above recommend it.
Because of a once damaged left hand, ☆ I like the new "GripPod" ( long Foregrip & retractable Bipod)
an Elcan scope will be my Birthday gift to myself , months from now.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
Cases of 308 ammo and a backup barrel is all the upgrades you need.

This ^

IMO, there is no such thing as a "Mandatory SCAR upgrade".

Sure, people like to personalize their firearms. I think we all get that, but I don't consider anything really a "Mandatory Upgrade".

For example, most people will immediately cite "upgrading" to a Geissle trigger "mandatory". I really love Geissle triggers like the one in my 20s, but a person has to consider, FN developed the SCAR 17 as a rack grade, mass produced military rifle. They place the emphasis of their trigger design on safety and reliability. As a major arms manufacturer, they have the capitol and means to test numerous SCARs in various tests to destruction to ensure reliability and repeatability of their mass produced components.

I have no reason to doubt the well deserved reputation of Geissle but I also have to wonder if they have the means to perform drop tests on dozens of SCARs. What I do know is that the PSG-1 trigger group I installed in my HK-91 came with a warning not to drop or mishandle the rifle unless the safety was on SAFE.

I really like the slim rail panels and other accessories PMM have developed for the SCARs but I also have to wonder if the slim panels would create a heat problem compared to the factory polymer side rails.

I would NEVER consider the KDG stock on a 17s based on the well documented issues they cause to the receiver screws.

I would agree with purchasing a set of various gas port screws for people who might want to fine tune their SCARs for suppressed use but I don't consider them "Mandatory" for people like me who don't intend to shoot suppressed.

While I think FN should have designed the SCAR 17s to accept what is probably a superior magazine design in the SR-25 pattern magazines, I wouldn't consider changing the grip frame to do so as I've read about dimensional inconsistencies between the various aftermarket makers. If FN made one, I'd probably get one but again, I don't consider it "Mandatory".

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele trigger

KDG MREX MK2 rail

A good sling (blue force gear vcas is my favorite)

Adios that horrific PWS muzzle brake

A good optic (kahles K16i, NF 1-8 ATACR, NF 1-8 nx8, vortex 1-6 razor hd2e)

A good optic mount (NF, Spuhr, Geissele....keeling in mind if you place the cocking handle on the left you may or may not drag your knuckle across the cross bolts on the NF and Geissele).

Lots of mags. Skip any urge to buy an aftermarket SR25 mag lower. Guys deploying with the Mk17 do not report issues with the mags. Stock hinges breaking, yes. The mags are good.

Only other thing I’d add is a can.
Deadair Sandman K can
Tune your gas system (purchase gas jets from Midwest Gun Works) such that with one round in the mag, then chambered and mag inserted but empty:
- valve set to suppressed, no can attached: bolt does not lock back.
- valve set to suppressed, can attached: bolt locks back.
- valve set to unsuppressed, no can attached: bolt does not lock back

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
All good info gents. I appreciate the feedback. I admit to being very new to this platform. After years and years as the lead armorer for a mid-sized LE agency and my time in the military, I'm intimately familiar with the AR pattern rifles. I wanted to broaden my horizons a bit with this.

I'm still kicking around glass options... To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Nightforce nx8 2.5-20 that's coming out this fall. Because its more geared for a precision rifle, I'm wondering if it'll be too much for this. I'm also considering just moving my CQBSS over to this from my tOBR. I've never had a heavy battle rifle, so I'm trying to avoid the impulse to treat this rifle like its a precision gun... That is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated...

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goatboyz:
I'm still kicking around glass options... To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Nightforce nx8 2.5-20 that's coming out this fall. Because its more geared for a precision rifle, I'm wondering if it'll be too much for this. I'm also considering just moving my CQBSS over to this from my tOBR. I've never had a heavy battle rifle, so I'm trying to avoid the impulse to treat this rifle like its a precision gun... That is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated...

Your CQBSS is a better scope for the Scar. Scars aren't precision rifles -- rifles that are truly benefitted by high magnification scopes. This especially true if you are considering an SBR barrel.

You should start by shooting the gun. Maybe a different trigger. Definitely some magazines. Of course some ammo, in different bullet weights and types, until you settle on what meets your criteria.

Hold off on another barrel for now. If you had a precision rifle, you'd still get at least 5k to 6k rounds before retiring a barrel. You will likely get a longer barrel life until you decide accuracy no longer suits your needs.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are 3 things that ALL of my Scars have. Magpul selector levers, Geisselle Triggers, and better pistol grips.

The scoped versions all had their scope mounts replaced with SPUHR mounts after one of my 17's ate a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 in a Larue mount. I think the extra stiffness of the Spuhr is necessary on a 17 especially, they are known for being hard on optics so going cheap is a bad idea, think tougher is better for SCAR optics and mounts.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I've found the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 to be perfect for how I use my 17S. Good for low light hunting, wide field of view, and very good glass. I routinely shoot my 17S out to 700 yards with the NF and haven't felt I needed more magnification. I really like how forgiving the eye box is on this scope at all magnification ranges, it lowers eye fatigue compared with some of my higher mag optics.

I've considered some of the newer 1-6 and 1-8 scopes but at 20.5oz the NF 2.5-10x42 is still lighter than some of those options. If I found myself doing more CQB type shooting with the 17S then I would certainly lean towards a 1-6 or 1-8.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried a lot of optics to try and balance fast and short versus using the available range the rifle is capable of.
I settled for a long time on the NF 2.5-10 like Brett B, but recently changed to the atacr 1-8. It is substantially more useful. The NX8 might have some benefits over the atacr but I'm saving my pennies to get one to try.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

As a SCAR16 & 17 owner, bravo...!

Others have said it; optic really depends on what you do, where you live, etc.

I have used a 2.5-10x24 NF, a Trijicon 1-4x24, Aimpoint, and others on my SCAR 17. Right now it's in a transitional period; I am going to try the Vortex PST 1-6 on it to see if it lives up to Vortex saying its 'tough enough'. If that isn't on it, usually an Aimpoint M4S is.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post