SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mandatory SCAR17 upgrades.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandatory SCAR17 upgrades. Login/Join 
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Haha, thanks Rhino. Definitely have the SCAR bug.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I will say the KDG MREX really makes the front of the rifle more ergonomic / slimmer. It reduces the width and the height of the rail area without adding much / any weight.

I have one on my 17 and really like it - I would have put one on my SBR 16, but it took KDG about 4 years to release one for shorties and I have already put some Parker Mountain stuff on it.

It's not a 'must have', but it is a worthwhile upgrade if you want a slimmer front end.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Do you have the original MREX or the newer mark 2? I just picked up my SCAR 17 yesterday. Super excited.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3182 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the original 4" (?) MREX on my SCAR 17 SBR (13"). It really changes the feel of the forend by sliming the width and height of it.

I have been bugging KDG for a 10" SBR SCAR 16 MREX forever and pretty much gave up, but they finally got around to it with the 2.0. I have one arriving tomorrow for my 10.5" SCAR 16 (cut down the original barrel, that's why it's 0.5" longer).

posted Hide Post
I tried the original MREX (Not V.2) and in the end I like the PMM thinner replacement rails plus extension better. FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I tried the original MREX (Not V.2) and in the end I like the PMM thinner replacement rails plus extension better. FWIW.
To me the key difference is the MREX bottom rail reduction. PMM does a great job at the side slimming, but to my knowledge he hasn't tackled the bottom rail, aside from making it lighter. But he makes some nice stuff, no doubt - I've kept up with him pretty much since he started doing gunsmithing stuff for the SCAR .

posted Hide Post
Bottom rails now from PMM. Mloc, keymod, slimmer pic, rail elimination. I use the elimination one most often.
Assuming he doesn't change the picture you can see them all on the top level of the site... https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool - glad there are more options out there for SCAR owners, I just prefer the MREX setup and am glad they finally made a 2.2" for SBR SCAR 16s.

posted Hide Post
For anyone looking at the KDG MREX 2.0, the installation is very streamlined - they have done away with a couple of steps from the original MREX install (which was still pretty easy).

Fits my 10.5" SCAR 16 SBR perfectly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Shoot it first; some triggers aren't that bad and depending on what you are doing it might be acceptable. Otherwise get the Geissele Super SCAR trigger.

This^^. The stock trigger on my 17 and my cousin’s 17 are both pretty decent.

Not sure why but the stock 17 triggers seem much better than the stock 16 triggers.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
This^^. The stock trigger on my 17 and my cousin’s 17 are both pretty decent.

Not sure why but the stock 17 triggers seem much better than the stock 16 triggers.
I experienced the same thing. My 16 had a horrible trigger, so I bought a Super SCAR Trigger. A couple years later I bought a 17 and ordered another Super SCAR trigger before receiving the rifle. The trigger stock as pretty good.

I installed the Super SCAR because I liked it better, but the 17 trigger was a good milspec trigger and had I gotten it on my first SCAR, I likely wouldn't have felt the need to upgrade.