SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Zeiss Rifle Scope Info Sought
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Rifle Scope Info Sought Login/Join 
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted
Good morning!

Out of the blue, totally unexpected, yesterday I received in the mail from my 82 y/o father a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 - 50mm rifle scope. Needless to say, I'm flabbergasted and excited Big Grin I don't know much about these scopes, except I don't think I've ever owned one as nice!

I'm trying to research this particular scope a little, so I come to the hive for help.

I see that Zeiss still makes the Conquest line, but there aren't any 3x9's in the current lineup. Given how popular 3x9s are, why would Zeiss discontinue this model?

What should I know about it? At present I'm thinking it might top out my Colt 6920 nicely. Good fit?

Thanks in advance guys!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
The Conquest line was discontinued when they released the Terra line. IMO the Terra line is a joke, especially compared tot he Conquest. The Conquest at closeout pricing was the best value in optics until the Leupold VX6 was blown out. The Conquest glass to me compares favorably to glass int he 4-500 range. You likely wont find better glass for the money.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am guessing it is a Conquest. should say on it. Good scope. Not top teir, but nice. Nice and clear. Albeit, fairly heavy.

Not great for an AR. It it more of a hunting/bolt action rifle scope.

Get an .06, 7mm bolt action and mount it. Something along those lines. Nice gift from the Ole' man Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nice gift from the Ole' man Wink

I'll say Smile

I've got a .280 Rem I guess I could put it on, but it's already wearing a Loupy VXIII 3x9 50. Not sure the Zeiss would be that much better???

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
your Leupold and new Zeiss are very comparable. I would not change. Time for another rifle Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Conquest fan here. I have a few 3-9's then a higher power one on my 300WSM.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have that scope on a .270. I think they were $399 when I got it. I compared it to everything they had at the store, and it was better than anything that cost less than $750. It is an excellent scope.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
The Conquest line is great glass. I have the 4.5-14x44. The adjustable turrets were nothing to write home about, but I think the glass is better than the Luepold Mark IV I had.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
From when I was behind the gun counter (many moons ago) I remember being told that the only difference between the conquest and more expensive Zeiss scopes was country of manufacture.

Conquest being made in the US, there was significant savings at retail here.

They are very good, so please put it on a rifle that can make the most of it. Cool

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post