SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK questions (trigger, mags, sight tool)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK questions (trigger, mags, sight tool) Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
Younger friend of mine inherited an AK (Arsenal) from some family and he brought it along when we went to the range yesterday.

I have next to no experience with AKs so I have a few questions as I help him along:

Sights were way off...mostly elevation but slight windage adjustment needed. What's the best sight tool to adjust it?

He inherited a pile of steel case ammo and some junk magazines. I'd like to get him some good metal mags. What's the AK equivalent to USGI mags?

Finally, the trigger had to have been worked on. It was smooth, with a good bit of creep, but it was way too light for a general hog hunting gun.
Best place for a stock trigger or springs or whatever?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Younger friend of mine inherited an AK (Arsenal) from some family and he brought it along when we went to the range yesterday.

I have next to no experience with AKs so I have a few questions as I help him along:

Sights were way off...mostly elevation but slight windage adjustment needed. What's the best sight tool to adjust it? Tapco makes a front sight tool, that will adjust windage and elevation

He inherited a pile of steel case ammo and some junk magazines. I'd like to get him some good metal mags. What's the AK equivalent to USGI mags? Any military magazine will do, but the East German magazines are really good. They are hard to find and cost more than the other now. The Chi-Com is perfectly serviceable.

Finally, the trigger had to have been worked on. It was smooth, with a good bit of creep, but it was way too light for a general hog hunting gun.
Best place for a stock trigger or springs or whatever?
ALG makes an AK trigger, it goes for $79.00, Tapco's G2 is a good trigger from what I hear.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Now mind you I'm in no way an AK expert. But I have the Tapco front sight tool, as it works with the SKS and Vz58 front sight.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
These are just suggestions - your friend is lucky enough to have multiple good options when it comes to mags and triggers.

Front sight adjuster (one I've used and definitely like) -

http://www.akoperatorsunionloc...teel-Magna-Matic.htm

This is sort of the VW Bug of the AK trigger world. Unfortunately its the only one I've used much, so I can tell you it works fine but not whether it works better than anything else.

http://al-builder.com/index.ph...iew&product_id=29979

As for mags, there really is no equivalent to USGI just because so many different countries produced rifles and magazines for them. Check out the most recent conversation if you haven't seen it yet -

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8070034624

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

As for mags, there really is no equivalent to USGI just because so many different countries produced rifles and magazines for them. Check out the most recent conversation if you haven't seen it yet -

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8070034624

Thanks for that thread link. Good stuff there.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

Any quantifiable differences between these two mag choices?

Polish AK mags--$10.95 at Aim
AIM Surplus

OR

Bulgarian AK mags--$14.89 at CDNN

CDNN Link

OR

Yugo BHO mags--$8.95 at GMW

Link

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
This is Arsenals' "store front" (if you will) for Arsenal products.

www.k-var.com

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Quantifiable, no. There have been some reports that Yugo BHOs require some filing to fit in some magwells.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I like the Hungarian 20 round mags.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have Chinese, Egyptian, Romanian, Polish, you name it. They're all decent. The only really bad ones I have ever seen are commercial Korean mags.

I do especially like the Yugo Bolt Hold open though.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The Bulgarian mags have a plastic follower, still work fine in all my AKs. I have had some bad Romanian mags. I would not get a Tapco sight tool, I bent one apart on my VZ58 front sight. I found one marked "CHINA" at a gunshow that weighed significantly more, worked no problem. As for the trigger, Arsenals can have really nice triggers. My SLR95 trigger will put most ARs to shame.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Thanks for the help.

Any quantifiable differences between these two mag choices?

Polish AK mags--$10.95 at Aim
AIM Surplus

OR

Bulgarian AK mags--$14.89 at CDNN

CDNN Link

OR

Yugo BHO mags--$8.95 at GMW

Link

Stay away from those Polish mags at AIM. I got 20 from them. They are surplus mags that have been repainted. Almost every single one that I got had major pitting or rust showing through. I had to fight with AIM, but I finally got them to take them back. Their policy is to not take returns on surplus items.

I bought the new production Croatian mags and havent had any issues with them. Ive seen them as cheap as 9 dollars.

Magpul makes some that are metal reinforced. They arent cheap though.

Have him get an ALG enhanced trigger for that rifle. Those triggers are awesome!

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sjames:
Thanks for the help.

Have him get an ALG enhanced trigger for that rifle. Those triggers are awesome!

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post