SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want to self mount a 30mm scope on a AR upper and need rings.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to self mount a 30mm scope on a AR upper and need rings. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Have little $ to throw at this project. Suggestions on a decent set up on a budget. I would love something USA made if possible. It is a fairly heavy MK4 scope going on a Pic. rail

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a good experience with American Defense Manufacturing Recon mounts... Roughly $180 on Amazon. I’ve used them for LPVOs as well as higher power scopes.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
For that kind of $ I could also go with a LaRue. But looking to spend a lot less.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A single-piece mount is usually better than individual rings to keep the mount on the receiver and not forward rail but of course that varies with setup / optic / eye relief.

Rings and mount are no place to skimp with Chicom rings, but for a middle ground look at Burris rings and PEPR mounts.

They aren't light weight typically, but hey you can't get it all when on a tight budget.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Typically "a lot less" than $180 for a mount gets you into garbage chinesium, and other things that aren't up to the quality a Mk4 would deserve.

Aero makes a bunch of mounts. I have one for an Aimpoint PRO on my .22 AR. I'm not sure I'd trust it to take anything more than handling from the padded case to the bench and back. Lot of people use them, they're cheap and lightweight, and a bit fiddly to keep the alignment set while tightening. I think they run about $60-80.

The ssalt and pepr mounts I believe are copies of each other and were the budget choice a few years back, I don't really see them anymore. Looks like they're about $60.

It looks like the Warne Gen2 mounts are available for about $100. That would likely be my choice if precision is one of the objectives.

Edit: 30mm Warne on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Mounts-...porting-goods&sr=1-9

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aero precision makes nice one piece mounts, not QD. pretty sure they are american made. quality is good for the price.

Aero Precision mounts

well stocked all around the web, id look around for sales.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://warnescopemounts.com/p...ized-30mm-msr-mount/

I have two of these and I couldn't be happier with them.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I'm not in the mood to spend I just go with plain Leupold M4 rings. Steel and solid.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midwest industries. One piece scope mount with QD levers and it’s pretty damn solid for 140 bucks. I’ve taken it off a few times and it kept it’s zero, at least at 100 yards it did. Either way it’s a really nice mount for the money

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, thanks for the info and idea's. I am going to try our classifieds and see if someone has something laying around that might work.

If not sounds like Warne is about as good as there is.

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
American Defense Recon or Burris PEPR.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
aero precision makes nice one piece mounts, not QD. pretty sure they are american made. quality is good for the price.

Aero Precision mounts

I've used these twice. Good rings for the price.

well stocked all around the web, id look around for sales.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks, upon further looking if I cannot find some rings used cheap the Aero is looking like the front runner.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
https://warnescopemounts.com/p...ized-30mm-msr-mount/

I have two of these and I couldn't be happier with them.

that style does not work for me,

I am a nose on the charging handle guy, and used Warne Rings directly on the upper,

had to go close together to get the scope where I needed it, but it works (both mounts on the one side of scope, not straddling the turrets)

this is for a Service Rifle, so no hunting, running, operator type work,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
These are fairly new, so a bit discounted. I have several mounts, and they are problem free.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt you will find any American made units that are "inexpensive".

Many here will doubtless turn up their noses, but I have used a couple of Monstrum Tactical cantilevered one-piece scope mounts on ARs and they have worked just fine. They have not loosened up at the rail or the rings, broken, or damaged scope tubes. They are made for both 1" and 30mm scope tubes.

They are available on Amazon and run $25-30.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find Aero ultralight mounts for around $55-80 depending on colors and eye relief etc. I have one and will likely get another for a new scope I have coming out. Easy to mount and seems to not have the issue I've read about vertically split rings.

Its not QD but it comes with a wrench and dismounts very reasonably as long as your not in combat or something. If you are then Larue or ADM for mo money.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post