SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    QD sling falling out??!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QD sling falling out??!!! Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
So I have several Midwest Industries AR free float tubes with a provided QD rail section. One them, If I rotate the QD sling attachment they fall out.

I looked into it and the ring is not completed always around them.

Then I went and looked at my XLR Chassis which has a QD socket. In it, there is a ring run completely around the inside of the socket.

SO then I started tuggin on the XLR chassis. and the freaking QD attachment pulls out of the socket.

Two questions.
1. Do all QD attachments all pull out if tugged hard enough?

2. Or do I need to purchase a different brand of QD sling attachments?

The QD sling attachments I have are some off brand no name I got for free....should I go the distance and get a Magpul?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I think Midwest uses a "limited rotation" qd socket, and have found that some inserts work better than others in mine.
I've even noticed that while 3 out of the 4 Magpul studs work quite well, that 4th one will just not stay in no matter how hard I try.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Do all QD attachments all pull out if tugged hard enough?

No.

quote:
The QD sling attachments I have are some off brand no name I got for free....

Sounds like that's your culprit. Probably cheap Chinese airsoft crap, made to look like the real deal without actually performing like it.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These have been working out really well for me also . They are strong, silent, they don't twist my slings up, and they are easy on and are easy off, but only when you want them to be. I have the front sling attachment on my Hodge upper going through a Wilson Combat QD swivel rail attachment. It adds a little weight, but it keeps the Blueforce Gear cable loop away from the hot barrel, the rifle hangs better at my side (no flop over) , does not abrade the cable like going through the rail slots or holes can, and I can put it exactly where *I* want it. The rear cable loop is attached through a rotating detachable eyelet installed into the Magpul SL stock's QD socket (it can rotate, but it doesn't tangle). As for slings, I prefer the Magpul MS1 series slings, their strong, long lasting and soft webbing material, comfortable, and they are easy and quick to adjust, they hold adjustment and they are low profile ( nothing hanging or dangling). The way I have the U-loops setup on my rifle, they move freely and don't tangle or twist my sling. One can also use the elastic covers that are sometimes used over H&K snap hooks over your U-loops , if you feel the need to. Have been using them for a while now, and IMHO it would be close to impossible for them to come loose on their own. Below is a link to a review of the BFG U-Loop. I have also noticed that the Proctor sling is now offered with QD swivels. I wonder why ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXcmmjXygE

https://www.blueforcegear.com/elastic-hook-cover.html

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the sling QD is cheaply made. I'd get a new sling or QD.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got some Magpul QD sling attatchments and they made the difference.

They work in the two MI free float tubes and on the XLR chassis I have....

goes to show, you get what you pay for.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post