SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any night hunters out there?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any night hunters out there? Login/Join 
posted
Are there any folks hunting coyotes or hogs at night? I am looking for some info from electro optics users who are willing to share their thoughts on what optic setup they are using. Thanks!

Posts: 1794 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marzy does rodent hunting with night optics. I have done some fox stuff. I limit my self to about 60yds

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I occasional (when needed on my farm so not too often) do coyotes. I use a pvs14 behind an aimpoint on a removal mount. I use a surefire light on the gun with a IR head. I have a DBAL but I really don't find it needed at the ranges I'm willing to shoot as when I get involved in this the ranges are very short and I'm not calling etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I am using an ANVIS 9 set on a helmet, PAQ4C IR laser on the rifle, with a TNVC Torch Pro MK2 IR illuminator.

For a pure hunting setup I would strongly consider thermal.

NV is great but in some ways thermal is better.

Nods and a laser makes for some fun experiences when I call a pack in...

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I do some night shooting. I have a 556 rifle with an Armasight/FLIR Predator thermal scope. I also own an Armasight N14 gen 2+HD helmet mounted nod. and an AR15 mounted Steiner DBAL I2. Mostly just shooting steel at night no real hunting... Yet.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teetering between Trijicon reap IR 60 or a Halo LR. Was hoping to hear from a member who was using or had used one, or if a member was running something that was working better for them.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Hogs on Thermal and NVDs.

Thermal is far superior.

And much more expensive.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a pre-Tijicon IR Hunter. Works very well. Friends here use cheaper scopes (Pulsar, etc.) and while they work, they often have trouble telling difference between hogs and calves - big problem. The IR has great resolution even at high digital zoom. Only complaints- it’s big and heavy but that’s the trade off for quality and it eats batteries.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I've hunted Hogs on Thermal and NVDs.

Thermal is far superior.

And much more expensive.

Ditto Rhino's take. Good thermal is the path to explore.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s your budget and how often would you use it?

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure one of our members has a refurb PVS-30. If you read this, how are you liking it?

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
What’s your budget and how often would you use it?

That could have a huge bearing on recommendations.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post