SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which AR for $1000
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which AR for $1000 Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Myself? I'd build my own but that 1G limit thingy...not gonna happen. Too much distraction and temptation abounds to break such a self-imposed budget. Just factoring for a Gibbz side charger build has me thinking what things I need to sell to fund the silliness.

As for Colt: from what I've seen over the past few years they still aren't what they used to be. We've had a couple or three that have come through the shop just this year that makes me head spin and squarely puts them on my bottomfeeder list. I get that Connecticut isn't a friendly place for a gun maker but seriously, outsourcing to outside companies of questionable experience and quality?

They've been doing this for 3 or 4 years with their Competition lineup and 'tis hoped that the quality of the builds will by now finally begun to improve, yet it's still inconsistent with the rifles that we've gotten. Even core guns out of Colt themselves like the LE6920 have followed suit and have likewise shown up with poorly aligned barrels and/or gas blocks, ill-fitted uppers to lowers, mis-staked (pun intended) gas keys, missing pins, mismatched serial numbers to the boxes they were shipped with...the list creeps on and on. Head scratching and shaking is nearly a mandatory thing with almost every inbound Colt rifle shipment. A dose of denial helps, too.

'Colt' might be the symbol that people want marked on their carbines, but frankly I'd be more interested if there was actual good quality that comes along with that mythic legend of theirs. And I must admit, for all of the shit that their new DA revolver gets from old timers, I'd rather have a new Cobra with that meh media-blasted stainless finish than any of their current AR rifle builds.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Build your own

No, you won't. Unless you already have the tools to make the built, the cost is actually more. you can buy completed lowers for the same price as the parts.

Of course building one is a great learning experience but just don't expect to save any money on it. not these days.

If you buy a barreled upper you can put the rest of the rifle together with a pair of large vice grips, a screw driver, and depending on what stock you use, a wrench or a spanner wrench. You can save a ton of money.

Or you can still spend $1k but wind up with a rifle that has a match grade trigger, a free float handguard, and still have money left over for ammo or magazines.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Build your own and have money left over for a case of ammo

I might just do that. What are your thoughts on a Palmetto State Armory upper with a hammer forged barrel?

Their hammer forged chrome lined barrels are made by FN. Extremely high quality.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
You can get a cold hammer forged 16" midlength upper, FN/Toolcraft Bolt Carrier group, and a complete lower right now from Palmetto State Armory for $569. Add

That leaves money for a Steiner P4XI.

Or you could part together your lower with an excellent trigger like the Larue MBT for $99 more and probably save $50 on the lower by not paying for a mil-spec fire control group that will be creepy and heavy. And still have money left over for 10 pmags and 1000 rounds of ammo.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
http://palmettostatearmory.com...charging-handle.html

quote:
A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a Mid-length gas system. The A2 profile barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected. Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...-bolt-516446450.html

quote:
Finish: Nickel Boron Coating
Bolt Steel: Milspec Carpenter No. 158
Shot Peened Bolt
High pressure tested
Mag particle inspected
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
Extractor Spring
Extractor O-ring Insert

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I like their Freedom line of nitride treated barrels myself but the Premium line from FN is more directly analogous to what you would be getting from Colt.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
You should take a look at Windham Weaponry. I'm pleased with the quality of mine.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
DI LWRC is a sweet gun. I’ve seen it hovering around $1000

I just picked up a LWRC DI gun, and I really like it. Mine was $999 + tax. I've got 6920s and I like them, but I much prefer the LWRC.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Get a Colt

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig 400.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Colt 1st, sig 400 2nd.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920, it’s what I have also with Magpul furniture. Great rifle

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I would get a Larue ultimate upper and then build up whatever stripped lower you have laying around or find cheap locally. You get an MBT trigger with a cool test-grip, nice free-float handguard, Flexible barrel options let you make a light AR or HBAR or whatever, and decent furniture all in one go.

You will be right around 1000 and have a rifle minus optics that can hang with the best. Oh and you pick the color.

https://www.larue.com/products...ate-ar-15-upper-kit/

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I consider PSA guns to be range shooters. Nothing more. I have several, and I would never pick one up for use as a defensive rifle. Sure I'll pass them out to friends when the SHTF, but I'll have a Colt 6720 in my hands.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
OP if you get bored, there is 30 pages worth of both good data and interesting anecdotes here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR...e/118-677135/?page=1

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920 OEM2 can't be beat if you want different rail.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike S:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
DI LWRC is a sweet gun. I’ve seen it hovering around $1000

I just picked up a LWRC DI gun, and I really like it. Mine was $999 + tax. I've got 6920s and I like them, but I much prefer the LWRC.

I third this. Go put your hands on one and see what you think. $999 is huge price drop from where they were not too long ago, much more than the average market erosion.

Posts: 34 | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Build your own

No, you won't. Unless you already have the tools to make the built, the cost is actually more. you can buy completed lowers for the same price as the parts.

Of course building one is a great learning experience but just don't expect to save any money on it. not these days.

AGREE. 1) You'll never do it (unless you have the time, tools, work space, high degree of motivation, etc.) 2) You`ll hardly save a penny. They are just too inexpensive right now, particularly the used ones.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
quote:
Build your own

AGREE. 1) You'll never do it (unless you have the time, tools, work space, high degree of motivation, etc.) 2) You`ll hardly save a penny. They are just too inexpensive right now, particularly the used ones.

Links I posted I this very thread disprove this assertion.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I would get a Larue ultimate upper and then build up whatever stripped lower you have laying around or find cheap locally. You get an MBT trigger with a cool test-grip, nice free-float handguard, Flexible barrel options let you make a light AR or HBAR or whatever, and decent furniture all in one go.

You will be right around 1000 and have a rifle minus optics that can hang with the best. Oh and you pick the color.

https://www.larue.com/products...ate-ar-15-upper-kit/

Sure wish that 6.5 Grendel was a 20" barrel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post