SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which AR for $1000
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which AR for $1000 Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Looking to purchase a new AR and don’t really want to go over $1000. Colt, Spikes Tactical? Any recommendations? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Build your own and have money left over for a case of ammo

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Build your own and have money left over for a case of ammo

I might just do that. What are your thoughts on a Palmetto State Armory upper with a hammer forged barrel?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I'd get a colt for $800 and call it good.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
You will not find a better "new" rifle for under $1000 than the Colt.

However, with that budget, you can build one pretty much however you want - within reason - and have it exactly how you want without having to buy a rifle and then change a bunch of parts.

That being said, is $1000 your total budget or just the 'rifle' portion of the budget?

As an example of what I mean; a guy who spends $500 on an M&P Sport II and the other $500 on ammo will be a much better marksman than the guy with the $1000 AR who can't fund ammo or magazines.

Can't tell you how many people in my area have $1500 + CMMGs, DDs, BCMs, etc. and can never go shooting. It's always "I don't have any magazines" or "I can't afford the ammo" or "waiting on my kung-fu ninja rail" or some such excuse.

Yeah, I'm rocking a cheap ass PSA with bare bones furniture, but I'm shooting the hell out of it! Cool Big Grin

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Colt 6720 with a decent optic. I'm a big fan of the "lightweights." Handles quick (less weight out front does make a big difference) and although it does "heat" quickly, it also cools quickly.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a NIB BCM mid-16 mod 0 last night off Gunbroker for $804.99. Nobody was more surprised than me. Don't normally see Bravo's so cheap but deals are out there.

Posts: 160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
DI LWRC is a sweet gun. I’ve seen it hovering around $1000

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Wikiarms Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture: $799.

Leaves $200 for ammo, mags, optic etc.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Techguy - Everyone has an opinion so here is mine - Buy a Colt - I know you have no intention to sell it anytime soon but keep this in mind....During the last AR spike in demand brand name AR’s like Colts were going for 2-3 times their original purchase value....If the time comes that you or a loved one decides to sell this AR your investment into a brand name complete AR rifle with the factory original box will attract more potential buyers....Just my 2cents worth....Merry Christmas Sir.....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to purchase a new AR, be under $1,000.00,and it would be the only one I owned I would pick up a Colt 6920.

If I had $1,000.00 to spend on an AR in any way I would look for a very lightly used Daniel Defense....I picked up a DD V11 Pro with 20 rounds through it for $1,100.00 last year.

I picked up 2 Smith & Wesson M&P AR's a couple of weeks ago for just under $1,000.00 delivered to my FFL.

There are some very lightly used 6920's out there and I hope this link isn't against forum rules
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Eq...-Complete-Rifles/21/

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Colt 6720 with a decent optic. I'm a big fan of the "lightweights." Handles quick (less weight out front does make a big difference) and although it does "heat" quickly, it also cools quickly.

+1
I have 2 of them. Bought the first one years ago when prices were still a bit higher. I liked it so much that I bought another earlier this year and paid a lot less.
One has an Eotech on it and the other is stock and unfired. Great rifle.
It is a pencil barreled rifle but accuracy is very good.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’ve been happy with PSA.

Recently I bought a complete midlength kit for $360. Bought a $50 lower locally. So for $415 (tax on the lower) I have a good gun. It’s a nitrided barrel, no chrome, but who cares? If it’s that much of a concern just pick up a spare barrel. For the vast majority of shooters, a nitrided barrel is absolutely fine. If you are planning on extreme environment usage and sustained rates of fire, maybe you benefit from a CHF chrome lined barrel.

Yes, I’ve also bought a 6920 in the past but it’s hard to argue against a $415 complete rifle. You can find a carbine kit on PSA right now for $300.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I'm going to say a Colt 6920 also.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Colt - it’ll hold it’s resale value over the PSA / budget Franken ARs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Build your own

No, you won't. Unless you already have the tools to make the built, the cost is actually more. you can buy completed lowers for the same price as the parts.

Of course building one is a great learning experience but just don't expect to save any money on it. not these days.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Did you buy a Colt yet Razz

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
look at the Colt Trooper model, any other vendor I would recommend MSRPs over 1,000. You could also look at complete uppers and lowers and mate them together, you can usually save a couple bucks that way.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Colt. It will be the 6920 or 6720. Thank ya'll,