SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 553 SBR issue with e-file. status update... approved
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 553 SBR issue with e-file. status update... approved Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted
Just received my Sig 553P from JDI. Its a 12" barrel chambered in 300 blackout. I started the e-file process and while filling out the e-form it said the following:

"The model or manufacturer you have indicated is either “unknown” or is not listed in the ATF reference tables. ATF will have to validate the information you provided prior to rendering a decision on your application. This may extend the average processing time for this application. Please attach copies of any additional information that you feel will assist us with this validation."

Never had this pop up on an SBR before. Did I do something wrong? Anyone else get this message and how did it effect the process. I haven't submitted the form yet. Waiting on some advice...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You are now the 'individual test case' for 922r.... Wink

ETA - This should probably be in the Suppressed Weapons forum

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who did you pick for mfg?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I just got my e-form back bout a month ago for a SBS and I didn't have that issue pop up. block 4a I just listed the manufacturer and went right on thru

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The issue is likely the name change on the manufacturer info. SAN/Swiss Arms changed their name earlier this year to Sig Sauer AG

quote:
New naming: SAN SWISS ARMS AG becomes SIG SAUER AG

Talk to Dave @ JDI about what to put on the forms. This isn't a 922r issue but rather a database issue on eFile because of a name mismatch. 553P has been made by multiple named entities and imported by even more (even though they're all made in the same factory in Neuhausen)

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
The issue is likely the name change on the manufacturer info. SAN/Swiss Arms changed their name earlier this year to Sig Sauer AG

quote:
New naming: SAN SWISS ARMS AG becomes SIG SAUER AG

Talk to Dave @ JDI about what to put on the forms. This isn't a 922r issue but rather a database issue on eFile because of a name mismatch. 553P has been made by multiple named entities and imported by even more (even though they're all made in the same factory in Neuhausen)

Yeah I listed it as Sig Sauer AG and it pulled up Switzerland from from the drop down menu. It only gives me a choice of Sig 553rp as the model and 7.62 as the caliber.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Which manufacturer name is engraved on the side of the gun?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
Which manufacturer name is engraved on the side of the gun?

Sig Sauer AG. Switzerland. Model listed is SG 553P. Caliber is 300 whisper.

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Nothing to really worry about, they are going to request you take a pic of the "make, model & serial #" as it appears on firearm to email to them. Probably add about a week to your time...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received the same notice when submitting the F1 on my PCS 51k. Since it wasn’t an option from the drop down list, I connected the dots that they may not have seen a PCS 51k on a F1 before and I attached pictures of PCS’s engraved logo and the 51k engraving. Still waiting on a control number to send with prints...

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yeah I sent it in with a photo of the engraved model, maker and serial number. I guess we will see...

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Moved from research to submitted phase. Took just under 6 weeks. Sent in the finger prints Hopefully
get approved in three or more week.

Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
Enjoy that thing. You are basically making my grail gun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Mine as well. Curious, are you going to keep the barrel length the same or chop it down a bit? I would like to keep the necessary barrel accoutrements to facilitate a can but ideally have the barrel around 10”

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yeah I like the idea of a 10" barrel but decided to keep it as is. I mostly shoot the higher velocity rounds so 12 work for me for now.

posted Hide Post
I would not chop a factory SwissArms barrel. Leave as is and appreciate it for the novelty that it is. If you want a shorter 300bo, go with an AR.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
There’s nothing magical about a SwissArms barrel and a short barreled AR15 isn’t the same as a 553.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
There’s nothing magical about a SwissArms barrel and a short barreled AR15 isn’t the same as a 553.

Yes, there is. Collectibility. Should you ever sell it, you’ll get less interest and less money with a gun that’s been hacked up. You may never intend to sell it and that’s great. I don’t typically sell anything, unless it’s to fund something else of higher value or more collectible. I still treat every collectible firearm as though it could be sold and if I sell, I want top dollar. The only way I would chop the barrel is if I had a spare factory barrel in hand to swap should I wish to change back to original configuration.

As someone who owns many multiples of the Swiss 55x family and the AR15, including multiple SBRs of each, I know the attributes of both very well.

The 553 as a 300bo is not ideal because of the way it vents gas from the gasblock and gas tube. The AR is ideal for 300bo because of its gas system. The 300 553 is a collectible novelty. Worth owning, shooting, and enjoying of course. But it would be kind of silly to expect it to fill the role that can be filled by an 8-10” 300bo AR.

But YMMV.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

Yes, there is. Collectibility. Should you ever sell it, you’ll get less interest and less money with a gun that’s been hacked up. You may never intend to sell it and that’s great. I don’t typically sell anything, unless it’s to fund something else of higher value or more collectible. I still treat every collectible firearm as though it could be sold and if I sell, I want top dollar. The only way I would chop the barrel is if I had a spare factory barrel in hand to swap should I wish to change back to original configuration.

As someone who owns many multiples of the Swiss 55x family and the AR15, including multiple SBRs of each, I know the attributes of both very well.

The 553 as a 300bo is not ideal because of the way it vents gas from the gasblock and gas tube. The AR is ideal for 300bo because of its gas system. The 300 553 is a collectible novelty. Worth owning, shooting, and enjoying of course. But it would be kind of silly to expect it to fill the role that can be filled by an 8-10” 300bo AR.

But YMMV.

Question on interchangeability in 553 platform. Could you buy a 553 barrel in 556 and use it with this 300 blackout gun?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

But YMMV.

Question on interchangeability in 553 platform. Could you buy a 553 barrel in 556 and use it with this 300 blackout gun?

Yes. You need the correct tools for a barrel swap - the receiver clamp and barrel wrench. It’s not difficult but it’s also pretty easy to destroy a receiver if you don’t know what you’re doing. It’s unnerving how much torque the barrels require.