SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Novesky Gen 1 Afghan???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Novesky Gen 1 Afghan??? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
I am looking at picking up a Noveske Afghan it has the 14.5" barrel with the welded brake.

Where are the barrels stamped so I can verify that it is a Noveske barrel?

It has the key-mod rail, are they as good as they say they are?

Or is this a parts gun, and if so how can I tell?

It will be a range toy and an occasional shooter, so what say everyone???

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in 6.8 with the quad rail. Stainless barrel. It is a solid, accurate gun but with the Mur upper it is on the heavy side. I had the same carbine in 5.56 but ended up trading it for a Recce.

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I am looking at picking up a Noveske Afghan it has the 14.5" barrel with the welded brake.

It will be a range toy and an occasional shooter, so what say everyone???

Thanks,

I don't know much about Noveske rifles, so I can't help you there.

In testing, it appears that Mlok is the stronger of the two between Mlok and Keymod.

All my handguards are keymod and I see no reason to switch. I attach lights, slings, and bipods and I have never had anything come loose.

There are plenty of accessories for Keymod so I would say go for it if you like the rest of the upper.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is how the Noveske barrel is stamped. They will all have the Noveske logo.

quote:

Noveske NSR is about as good as any quality handguards out there.

quote:

Only way to know for sure is to call Noveske with the serial number. They should be able to tell you if it was a complete factory rifle.

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info Q I have emailed them with the serial # to see if it is a factory rifle or not.

Do you think your Noveske is better than most other AR's or???

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for that info Q I have emailed them with the serial # to see if it is a factory rifle or not.

Thanks,

What sort of price range are you looking at? And what is the round count on that upper?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
He says it has 500 rounds through it, and it’s a local trade, he is putting a valu of $1800.00 on it.

Archerman

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
He says it has 500 rounds through it, and it’s a local trade, he is putting a valu of $1800.00 on it.

Whoooo boy. You could have a JP-15 for that kinda cash.....new.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.2.2_JP15.php

Link

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Yes you could, but i am not putting up any $$$, it’s a trade locally

Archerman

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Tim from Noveske just replied to my email, with the serial # info and was sold as a striped lower, so its not a factory built rifle.

So that’s good to know and it changes my thinking on the trade now.

Archerman

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks,

I just installed a new old stock Noveske barrel from the era when John was alive. That is one fine barrel. Super precise and very, very consistent. Worth the dough IMO

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Early Noveske Afghan barrels are some of the very best barrels made IMHO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Amurr,

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tim from Noveske just replied to my email, with the serial # info and was sold as a striped lower, so its not a factory built rifle.

So that’s good to know and it changes my thinking on the trade now.

Is the barrel marked as a noveske?

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Noveske complete/Factory built uppers used to have the noveske cross stamped across the upper and lower where they meet so that half the cross was on the lower and half on the upper. I'm not sure if it's still the case.

When they met and lined up properly, they completed the logo. It was small and subtle, but difficult to counterfeit.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
Noveske complete/Factory built uppers used to have the noveske cross stamped across the upper and lower where they meet so that half the cross was on the lower and half on the upper. I'm not sure if it's still the case.

When they met and lined up properly, they completed the logo. It was small and subtle, but difficult to counterfeit.

Yes, that's how John did it (complete rifles only), but only for a short time. This is a very early N4 Lo-Pro carbine (serial # 01077), the one that made Noveske a household name in the AR world. No longer mine.

Q

Posts: 26341 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This is a complete Noveske factory AR (Project Ares Battle Rifle) that I bought a few months before John's untimely death. No longer has that split logo.

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for that info Q ...

I would never claim that my Noveske is better than other ARs.

Q

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 1 14.5” pinned Noveske Switchblock midlength from a year or so before Johns death. It is a great barrelled upper and after using it on a Mega lower build, I finally splurged for a Noveske lower to ‘make’ a complete rifle - but I’d never pass it off as an original Noveske rifle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Novseke is a sad tale of the death of a brand.

Yes, I know the name is still around, but the momentum behind the brand has largely dissipated.

The early guns were phenomenally accurate. Later, their quality became hit-and-miss (with marginal support for misses). Whether this was due to the death of John or not is a matter of some contention. Where the company is now in terms of market share and presence/consumer awareness is not.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post