SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR BCGs and recoil impulse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR BCGs and recoil impulse Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Assuming a mid-length gas system (either 14.5 or 16 in barrel) and, for argument's sake, an H2 buffer....

What are the effects on felt recoil of the mass of the BCG?

Would a SA, FA or lightweight SA carrier have less recoil impulse?

Does the heavier FA carrier deaden recoil impulse, or does its greater mass give you more of a shove? Or, conversely, does the lightweight SA carrier get more velocity can thus create greater recoil impulse?

All my ARs are either rifle-length A2s or carbine length with SA carriers, so I'm in the dark here.

Not that 5.56 has much recoil, but I'm interested in what the impulse would feel like (gas tube length remaining constant).

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have used SA, FA, and lightweight bolt carriers.

A lightweight carrier, paired with adjustable gas, and a muzzle brake, makes a rifle shoot differently. My standard setups feel 'sluggish' to me now.

Pairing a light carrier with an H2 buffer is defeating the purpose.

I really like mine for my 3 gun rifle. I would not just drop a low mass carrier in a rifle and change nothing else.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
What weight buffer do you use with a light carrier?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
What weight buffer do you use with a light carrier?

Originally I used a rifle buffer with 3 lead weights removed and replaced with delrin. Now I am using a JP captive buffer

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I see it as 2 different ways to go. Standard gas block, use a longer gas system length (like your middy) and heavier carrier and buffer.

Adjustable gas bock, light carrier and light buffer (I just pulled all the weights out of one) adjust the block until it barely cycles then 1 click more.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always like when I hear people say they use a heavy buffer because it reduces recoil. It doesn't reduce it, it just slows it down... spreads it out, it kicks more but over a longer period of time.

I have an H2 buffer in a multi use lower (for my 6.5G upper) and I don't like using it with my .223 upper because it feels so sluggish to me, I'm not used to it. It's slow with lots of muzzle rise. Every time I shoot it I think "man this thing is so sloppy".

That's because my other 223's are "race guns" , lightweight carriers, lightened buffers, (adjustable gas to deal with those two) and good comps. The recoil impulse is sharp and fast, just the opposite of a heavy buffer, heavy carrier gun. They don't kick, the muzzles don't rise, they just "pulse".

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

All my ARs are either rifle-length A2s or carbine length with SA carriers, so I'm in the dark here.

Not that 5.56 has much recoil, but I'm interested in what the impulse would feel like (gas tube length remaining constant).

People are usually quite surprised when they shoot my 3-gun rifle for the first time. The difference is notable to me. But I will be the first to admit that a big part of the equation is a good muzzle brake. Muzzle brakes are loud, and can be concussive.

If you drop a low mass carrier into a rifle and change nothing else, you will probably be disappointed.

It really should be looked at as part of the overall system, and the buffer, and an adjustable gas block need to be considered as well.

On my suppressed mid-length 16", I use an H2 buffer, FA carrier, and adjustable gas because of the extent to which suppressors increase the amount of gas going back into the system.

Both rifles have the gas block set WAY underneath what would be full gas with an unrestricted gas port. The way I have it setup right now, my 16" with heavy everything, will not cycle with the silencer removed. But it will lock back on an empty mag every time, even when extremely dirty, with the silencer in place.

Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
IndianaBoy is right on.

In the JP catalog they have some good descriptions on how they fight the "war on recoil".

The rundown in order of effectiveness:

1. Good muzzle brake/comp (biggest independent difference than any other component)
2. Adjustable gas block
3. Lower mass BCC
4. Buffer weight and spring rate

Put them all together for a very smooth operating system.

Mine is all JP components and I tell guys it's a Ferrari not a Toyota Corolla. It's higher maintenance and I change the oil often if you know what I mean. But damn it shoots. The timer and paper doesn't lie...

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post