SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    USMC: Improved .50-caliber machine gun hits fleet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC: Improved .50-caliber machine gun hits fleet Login/Join 
posted
https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...chine-gun-hits-fleet

Improved .50-caliber machine gun hits fleet

By: Todd South, April 27, 2017

Marine units have received an upgraded .50-caliber machine gun that aims to make firing quicker, safer and less visible to the enemy.

Marine Corps Systems Command officials in Quantico, Virginia, released information Thursday about the upgrades, which include a quick-change barrel, fixed headspace and timing, and a flash hider that reduces the machine gun’s signature by 95 percent at night.

"The improved M2A1 makes Marines more lethal because they’re able to get rounds down range quicker,” said Maj. Harry Thompson, team lead for General Purpose Weapons at the command.

The current machine gun requires Marines to manually set headspace and timing before firing and after the barrel heats from high fire volumes.

Headspace is the distance between the face of the bolt and the base of the cartridge when chambered, while timing is the adjustment of the weapon so firing occurs when the recoiling parts are in the correct position.

The quick-change barrel is now possible because the headspace and timing are now fixed, Thompson said.

The current version requires Marines to screw in the barrel and set the headspace, he said. Now the improved version allows Marines to “pop” the receiver and lock it in place similar to the M240B machine gun.

The combination reduces the time Marines are exposed to enemy fire and shortens the time the weapon is out of operation for barrel changes, he said.

The third improvement is a flash hider at the end of the barrel that reduces muzzle flash to mask Marines’ position and limits whiteout conditions, helping the use of night vision while firing, Thompson said.

In total, the command will field 3,600 M2A1s to Marines, said Kelly Sullivan, a General Purpose Weapons program analyst. Phase one concluded in March and included infantry and most infantry-like units and infantry reserves. Phase two will run through May. The Army began its upgrades to the .50-caliber machine gun in 2011.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Marine units ….

Marine Corps ….

"The improved M2A1 makes Marines ….

The current machine gun requires Marines ….

The current version requires Marines …. Now the improved version allows Marines ….

The combination reduces the time Marines ….

The third improvement is a flash hider at the end of the barrel that reduces muzzle flash to mask Marines’ position ….

In total, the command will field 3,600 M2A1s to Marines ….

Is this something the Marines are getting? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Marine units ….

Marine Corps ….

The current version requires Marines …. Now the improved version allows Marines ….

The third improvement is a flash hider at the end of the barrel that reduces muzzle flash to mask Marines’ position ….

I believe you're on to something there. Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Marine units ….

Marine Corps ….

I believe you're on to something there. Big Grin

Heh, only reason the "Marines" are getting it is the Army already has it. Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You mean the Navy is getting these right? Wink Big Grin

Ima go hide for a while now.

I keeed I keeeed.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You mean the Navy is getting these right? Wink Big Grin

Ima go hide for a while now.

I keeed I keeeed.

Big Grin

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment

Wink

<Popping smoke..... sssssssssss>

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Marines, always a day late and a dollar short. We switched over to these in 2012. I guess it helps that the Army has a bigger budget

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad they waited until we worked the bugs out of it. There were some early issues with bad head spacing and explosions. It was interestingly similar to when the non fixed model was headspaced incorrectly.
what I found interesting is that fixed headspace models were available in 2009 and earlier and it took this long to get them.

I wonder if the $300 (allegedly) headspace gauge is BII with the M2A1s.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see a photo of the muzzle device; couldn't turn one up.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I'd love to see a photo of the muzzle device; couldn't turn one up.

Army M2A1 pic. The muzzle device is visible in one of the photos.

Possible vendor pictures. these guys claim that they make them.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post