SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Swedish 6.5x55 mausers and mak90
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swedish 6.5x55 mausers and mak90 Login/Join 
posted
I have an oportunity to pick up 2 swedish mausers. Both in 6.5x55 swede. One is full length, the other iscarbine length with a scope base at the front sight. What should i look for on both?

The mak 90 has very little use. How good are they? It has a thumb hole stock. Can that be replaced for a traditional ak stock? Are any of these pre ban?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MAK 90 is a Norinco post Bush ban AK. I have two and they are rock solid AK's. If you comply with 922r and keep your parts count proper, you can replace the thumbhole.

Swede Mausers are a lot of fun. The M96 is a full length rifle, the M38 is a carbine/short rifle, and the M94 is an engineer's carbine with a squared off nose.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the best parts to replace on a mak 90 for 922r?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the MAK 90.

Value on the Swedish Mausers will vary depending upon maker, year, if the parts are matching or not, and if the stock finish is original. I'm assuming the one with the scope base has been drilled and tapped. That will put a huge cut into any collector value.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
There are multiple variants of the MAK90, some are more desirable than others (milled/stamped receiver, straight/slant back, with/without folding stock...etc).

These factors also affect how you can de-ban the rifles.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Swede carbine has been modified with the addition so it probably has no collector value. I'd pass on it unless you just want a shooter.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
The Swedish Mauser could have a Diopter type front sight. Some were used in target shooting. Usually it is a clamp on affair. Difficult to identify if original or some butcher job without any pictures.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The m96/38 has had the rear sight replaced by a pic rail that mounts there. That pic rail
Screws at the front pin holes. It has two adjustment screws for leveling to the or
Bore.

I took it off and evened the rail out to see if the pic rail would be stable. So far it seems that it can be pretty secure.

I will square it up to the bore and put the scope back on.

The rifle is in good shape. Not all the part numbers match. It looks rearsenaled as there are two sets of numbers. 611 being the main, 551 being the second set. I have an orifingal 96/38 sight coming. The barrel is threaded, so hopefully i can eventually put a can on it for hunting. I will take some pics to add here soon.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
I see now. You said front sight and that is actually your rear sight. Looks like one of those Darryl's scout mounts. That is easily restored to the standard rear sight so it would not destroy any collectors value aside from the cost of a replacement rear sight.

The Mak90 are very easily restored to their preban configuration. The one with the square back receivers are the best for restoring. Mak90's are all post ban.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is what i get for typing crap on my phone. It should be rear sight.

posted Hide Post
The barrel threading is for a neat little bore guard and blank firing attachment which is missing on my all original 96. Mine is very precise for a 1938 birthday, just a foot too high at 100 M.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking this little scout scope set up on the 96/38 may solve that 8 to 12 inch high at 100m issue.
Longest safe shot to my berm is about 150yds, average is 66 to 100. Longest deer shot i can do is 186. So, i will see if i can sight it in at 100 and call it good. I dont have the blank firing attachment yet.

I took the rear stock off the mak 90, it is a square back. I like ironwoods walnut furniture sets. It does not have a muzzle break, or a bayonet lug. So it looks like mag, and comeplete furniture set will suffice for 922r.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Don’t know what the price is on the Mac, but they carry a value you would never have expected to see when they were so inexpensive during the early ban years. Especially the milled receiver variety.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
Mine is very precise for a 1938 birthday, just a foot too high at 100 M.

Easily remedied by replacing the front sight with a taller one. Is yours marked?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
Mine is very precise for a 1938 birthday, just a foot too high at 100 M.

Easily remedied by replacing the front sight with a taller one. Is yours marked?

Yup, marked with a 0 I believe. Not at home right now. I just never bothered to look for one. Kentucky elevation is just fine and I usually just tack a second target above the first. Smile

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

not my best group, but a good start. The scope is at least inline and functioning.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Don’t assume the muzzle threads are concentric with the bore on the Swede Mauser. They very well may not be.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought of that also. I would check with a guide rode befor shooting a supressor.