SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bore slugging fail. Advice needed. Update: Replacement barrel in last post..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore slugging fail. Advice needed. Update: Replacement barrel in last post.. Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
What does he charge per hour, out of curiosity?

$40/hr. He charged me $125 as a goodwill gesture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Here's a bore shot:

You can see the ridge right at the bottom where it's brightest.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Umm, nope. Your photo skills are right up there with your bore slugging skills. Lol. I’m just yanking your chain, we have all done stuff like this but it was interesting to listen to your shared tale.

If it’s not bulged, I tend to be in the shoot it crowd. It’s not like you are going to dump case after case of ammo through it. Buy a spare barrel, keep it in the parts bin for “just in case”.

Having never slugged a barrel, nor ever going to, am I correct in assuming that the issue was because the brass rod was much too close to the bore diameter so when it got peened it got stuck? Would a much smaller rod have been fine?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If there’s any possibility that a gun has been damaged and is unsafe to shoot, any (prudent) gunsmith will say, “Don’t shoot it.”

Brownells even sells (used to sell) big, bright red tags that say “Unsafe to fire” to be attached to guns that leave a gunsmith’s shop without being thoroughly examined and test fired. For example, he installs a new buttpad, but doesn’t fire the rifle. Then the owner blows up the gun with an overcharge handload and sues the gunsmith for not warning him that his gun was unsafe.

That’s an extreme example and in my experience ’smiths don’t usually go to that degree of CYA, but if it’s something that could possibly affect the safety of the gun, e.g., the integrity of the barrel, I understand it perfectly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this saga and continuing to post updates throughout the process. I know it's been something of a nightmare for you, and I'm sorry it worked out the way it did, but it's provided some valuable insight into this process that will hopefully help others. I'm glad that you were ultimately able to get it out...and I'm with you...I'd probably just shoot it at this point and hope for the best.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
This ain't over yet. There was some brass swarf left in the rifle, so I cleaned it. Used a 30 cal cleaning rod to clean the barrel. NOPE, rod stops at the ridge. No way an 8mm bullet will pass. Looking for a replacement barrel. I guess a sloppy gunsmith saved me from a catastrophic failure. Finding someone else to change barrels.

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
Ouch. Better safe than sorry though. You must really love this rifle, I think I would have thrown in the towel awhile ago.

I had to look up swarf btw. Lol.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ouch. Better safe than sorry though. You must really love this rifle, I think I would have thrown in the towel awhile ago.

I had to look up swarf btw. Lol.

I'm stubborn. Most of these rifles went to Turkey as aid in WW1 and were beat to death. This one escaped a lot of modifications & abuse in 131 years. I also paid half of what it's worth so I have some room to fix. I'll keep the matching numbers barrel in case I ever sell the rifle.

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
It might make a nice floor lamp....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How thick is the barrel? You could have it rebored to a historically incorrect, slightly bigger bullet on the same case. Though you'd have to load without proper dies, or spend big bucks on custom dies.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
How thick is the barrel? You could have it rebored to a historically incorrect, slightly bigger bullet on the same case. Though you'd have to load without proper dies, or spend big bucks on custom dies.

Beyond my skill set.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've learned from this experience:

- When the dowel got stuck, the lead ball dropped out. It measured .314 in. That HAS to be original diameter of the ring in the barrel.

- Pounding on the dowel with a 4 lb hammer made it worse.

This is the first issue I've had with a surplus firearm since I started collecting. The only answer is replacing the barrel.

I'll update when the barrel arrives and when I get the rifle back from the gunsmith.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I bought another barrel off Ebay. A little disappointed when I received it:

Seller went all-out with packing tape. Roll Eyes

That aside, it was OK, just dirty.

Bore is FILTHY.

Cleaned it up (CLP & Borescrubber):

The worst of the rust:

Chamber end looks good:

Bore looks very good considering its age:

Now to make an appointment with gunsmith #2...

-Bomber Harris

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Fascinating saga. Just curious, what did the first gunsmith do that was sloppy or wrong?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Fascinating saga. Just curious, what did the first gunsmith do that was sloppy or wrong?

When I got it back from him, the receiver & barrel were full of brass shavings. Sloppy work.

-Bomber Harris