SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bore slugging fail. Advice needed. Update: Replacement barrel in last post..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore slugging fail. Advice needed. Update: Replacement barrel in last post.. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
Maybe sleeve the bit with a soda straw? Might need to slit it lengthwise to fit around it.

Todd

We'll see if this works:

I might be tempted to grind the edge off the flutes on the sides and sleeve with heat shrink tube if thin enough. Might help to reduce the change for damage if the bit cocks slightly.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Maybe pour some liquid fabric softener down the barrel and let it soak. Liquid fabric softener is what wood workers used to bend wood into intricate patterns. After it soaks in, you might be able to push it out. If not, it might make drilling it out easier.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I think I got most of the wood out with a patch holder I bent to act as a shovel. But the brass rod still won't budge. Gonna have to throw in the towel & leave it to a professional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I thought you only had wood stuck in there.

Good luck.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the brass rod still won't budge.

I think you peened it in place. Hopefully a good smith can remove the rod without damaging the bore.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
But the brass rod still won't budge.

I think you peened it in place. Hopefully a good smith can remove the rod without damaging the bore.

That's going to have to be the plan. The parts of the barrel I can see still look good.

I was better of just trusting the "S" mark and taking my chances. Lesson learned.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Update:

Dropping off at gunsmith tomorrow. He's sure he can clear the barrel, hopefully no damage done.

-Bomber Harris

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Keep us updated. I check periodically to see if anything has transpired. It will be interesting to read what his method will be.

posted Hide Post
If I had known what would have happened, I would not have mailed you those 00 shotgun pellets.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Aren't we supposed to use dead soft, cast slug to do this? kz1000, get a 0 to 1.000" precision micrometer for measuring. Dial cals aren't going to give you the diameter accurately. Buy a mic.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
If I had known what would have happened, I would not have mailed you those 00 shotgun pellets.

You helped nonetheless, thank you.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Aren't we supposed to use dead soft, cast slug to do this? kz1000, get a 0 to 1.000" precision micrometer for measuring. Dial cals aren't going to give you the diameter accurately. Buy a mic.

Not doing it again. Sticking to field stripping from now on.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Update #1:

Gunsmith is @ 3 hours of labor & 1 broken bit.
1.5 inches of brass rod still in barrel. The longest bit he can get is still short, he's going to weld an extension to it Sunday and get the barrel clear. If no damage (He took rifle apart, barrel number matches) I'm good. If not, I'll buy another barrel & keep the original. It needs to be a shooter.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Hopefully final update:

Bore is clear. Only issue is halfway down the barrel there is a small ridge (No bulge). Not sure if it was there before I FUBAR'ed it. His recommendation is not to shoot it. I'm going run patches through it to see if they snag ,then do the old "Pull trigger with a 10' string" and hope for the best. He said a squib would be the worst case scenario.

-Bomber Harris

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
How did he get it out? Continue to drill it?

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
How did he get it out? Continue to drill it?

Yes.

-Bomber Harris

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
His recommendation is not to shoot it.

If the patch doesn’t snag, and there’s no change in bore diameter, this makes no sense. The worst case scenario would be decreased accuracy which you wouldn’t expect to be match grade with an old pre-WW1 infantry rifle anyway.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
His recommendation is not to shoot it.

If the patch doesn’t snag, and there’s no change in bore diameter, this makes no sense. The worst case scenario would be decreased accuracy which you wouldn’t expect to be match grade with an old pre-WW1 infantry rifle anyway.

I think he's just covering his ass.

-Bomber Harris

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
What does he charge per hour, out of curiosity?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest you lap the barrel, but given your track record.... Big Grin Razz

You could always fire lap. I wouldn't over do it though. As you know you're not going to be winning any benches matches with it anyway. I have an old Winchester 92 in 38-WCF with a barrel that looks like a bad section of road after a long winter. Not pits, dang near potholes. With hard cast lead it shoots awful. With soft lead, it shoots rather respectable. Well enough to be entertaining.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post