SIGforum
The Henry H001 Lever Action .22LR

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4300040334

November 11, 2017, 03:03 PM
wingspar
The Henry H001 Lever Action .22LR
Been thinking of picking one of these up. Held one this morning and I will go back and pick it up next week. I’m not a big .22 person, but this gun looks like it would be fun and the price is good. I was wondering from those that own this rifle, what is the warmest ammo you have put thru it?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
November 11, 2017, 06:11 PM
chongosuerte
I really want one of the 22 youth models. It's for my kid... Kind of LOL.

But I can't justify spending that on what I think I should be $180 rifle.

Yes, I am a cheap bastard.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
November 12, 2017, 12:17 AM
wingspar
I downloaded the manual and there is absolutely Nothing in the manual about ammo except warning you not to shoot LR in a magnum and visa versa... about 7 times. What kind of fps can this little lever gun handle safely?

---------------
Gary

November 12, 2017, 12:48 AM
phydough
I shoot whatever high velocity I have around through my H001T. Never owned any hotter .22LR ammo. I really like it, it is a fun and reliable little rifle.

You should contact Henry directly and ask them about hyper velocity rounds. Henry Tech Questions.

I would bet the H001 will handle them fine, but ask them. When I asked if the H006C could handle Ruger only loads, I got an email from Mr. Anthony Imperato himself saying "no problem".
November 12, 2017, 12:54 AM
sigcrazy7
I'm sure the Henry can handle any commercial 22LR load on the planet. I know of no ammunition manufacturer who loads 22LR beyond SAAMI specs, so you have no worries WRT pressures in the rifle.

You cannot shoot 22WMR in the rifle because the magnum load has a larger rim diameter to prevent it. This is also why you cannot shoot 22LR in a 22WMR firearm. The rim on the 22LR is too small.

Sometimes manufacturers will advise against shooting 22S and 22L in a rifle chambered for 22LR. This is due to a reliability issue with feeding, not over a concern for pressure. Do you have some specific ammunition in mind that exceeds SAAMI specs that you'd like to shoot in the rifle?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
November 12, 2017, 11:00 AM
Jimbo54
I love my Henry .22LR. It's a blast to shoot and it's very accurate. I actually like shooting it more than my Marlin 39A. I've run everything through it from sub-sonic to high velocity rds. with zero issues. Just take the plunge and don't look back. You'll be happy you did.

You'll hear nay sayers say they don't like them because they have a couple of plastic parts that play no part in functionality. Just ignore that BS.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
November 12, 2017, 10:25 PM
wingspar
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I'm sure the Henry can handle any commercial 22LR load on the planet. I know of no ammunition manufacturer who loads 22LR beyond SAAMI specs, so you have no worries WRT pressures in the rifle.

You cannot shoot 22WMR in the rifle because the magnum load has a larger rim diameter to prevent it. This is also why you cannot shoot 22LR in a 22WMR firearm. The rim on the 22LR is too small.

Sometimes manufacturers will advise against shooting 22S and 22L in a rifle chambered for 22LR. This is due to a reliability issue with feeding, not over a concern for pressure. Do you have some specific ammunition in mind that exceeds SAAMI specs that you'd like to shoot in the rifle?

Well, if there is no ammunition manufacturer who loads 22LR beyond SAAMI specs, then no worries for me. The only real reason I asked is because my other half ordered some ammo from a manufacture that I’d never heard of (CI) that is advertised as 1250 fps but they delivered ammo that is 1500 fps and I’m no .22 enthusiast or expert, but I saw that is way to much for any of her guns, so we sent it back to exchange for what she ordered. Mini-Mags are probably the warmest .22 ammo I’ve probably shot. I did a little searching before posting, and I see that CCI Stingers (never shot any of this but may order some for the Henry) are rated at 1640 fps and Aguila Supermaxium is rated at 1700 fps and Aguila Interceptor is rated at 1470 fps. I tried searching the SAAMI site for .22LR and could not find what I was looking for. Haven’t looked at that site for years.

I’m quite familiar with the differences between .22LR and .22 Magnum, it just frustrated me to see that mentioned in bold red letters multiple times in the manual for the Henry, yet no mention at all as to what kind of .22LR may or may not be safe in the Henry. The info I downloaded the manual for.

I will most likely pick up the rifle tomorrow, even tho the weather may prevent me from shooting it for a while. Photos coming.

---------------
Gary

November 12, 2017, 10:30 PM
wingspar
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
You should contact Henry directly and ask them about hyper velocity rounds. Henry Tech Questions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent a message via your link.

---------------
Gary

November 12, 2017, 11:33 PM
sigcrazy7
Here is a good link if you want to read about how it is tested and some test results.

http://www.saami.org/specifica...SI-SAAMI_Rimfire.pdf

You may be right to question the use of some 22 ammo. I got to thinking about your concerns, and snooped around about Aguila ammo. Man that Interceptor stuff looks hot. For the most part, most hyper velocity 22 ammo is accomplished by reducing the bullet weight (CCI Stingers), thereby keeping the pressure within spec at around 25,000psi. Aguila Interceptor doesn't seem to follow this formula. This looks like something I'd only feed into a modern 22 bolt action, like a Ruger American. I definitely wouldn't use it in one of my vintage, collectable, Winchesters.

Looking at that document from SAAMI, it lists the manufacturers from whom I've always purchased my 22 ammo. Included is CCI, Remington, Olin (Win), Federal, and others. Noticeably absent is Aguila. If you're purchasing ammo from one of the participating companies, I'd think they'd be adhering to the SAAMI standards, and wouldn't produce anything beyond the specs.

Thanks for identifying that Aguila Interceptor. I'll keep a closer eye on what I put into my 22 rifles. If I feel the need for that kind of velocity, I'll turn to a center fire.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
November 13, 2017, 07:33 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I'll keep a closer eye on what I put into my 22 rifles. If I feel the need for that kind of velocity, I'll turn to a center fire.

+1

The fastest 22lr ammo I would shoot is CCI Minimag. IMO 22lr works best as a subsonic or barely supersonic round. I've never seen any magazine article, blog, or post which shows great accuracy from fast 22 ammo -- the bullet just isn't designed to transition through Mach 1.

As for CI ammo, it's probably OK, but I wouldn't put it through my rifles.

If you must use supersonic ammo, stay with CCI Minimag. For reasonably priced subsonic that will actually impact where the gun is aimed, try CCI Standard or Federal 711B.
November 13, 2017, 05:55 PM
Rolan_Kraps
DO IT!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
November 13, 2017, 08:45 PM
wingspar
Brought her home today. Don’t know when I’ll get around to shooting it, but I did some looking for some CCI Stingers just to try some, and good grief, that stuff is expensive. I’ve got plenty of .22 ammo around and now that Mini-Mags are available again, and it’s the only reliable ammo my Mosquito (which may be fore sale) will run, I’ll probably order a bunch of it.

---------------
Gary

November 13, 2017, 09:07 PM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
I did some looking for some CCI Stingers just to try some, and good grief, that stuff is expensive.

Stinger ammo will likely cost $6 to $7 per box, or $.12 to $.14 each. In the ballpark of lots of 22 ammo -- not bottom feeder garbage, but not match quality.

Stingers just aren't all that accurate. In this price range you'll get substantially greater accuracy with Wolf, Geco, SK, lower-tier Eley, lower-tier RWS