SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I now have this AR in 458SOCOM....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I now have this AR in 458SOCOM.... Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
And I need some plinking ammo. Smile
Gunbot came up with midwayusa for about $2.90/rd. I know this stuff isn’t cheap and that I really need to reload for it, but I have to start somewhere.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
And I only thought .300 BO factory ammo was spendy Big Grin...sounds like fun Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Pictures needed!

I've been irrationally wanting one for a while.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Gunbot came up with midwayusa for about $2.90/rd. I know this stuff isn’t cheap and that I really need to reload for it, but I have to start somewhere.

Normally something I think about BEFORE I take on another caliber... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Ammoseek.com
LAX ammunition has some for $1.30/rd.

Luck,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the ammo, but gawd I'd love to play with that for an afternoon. Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

I just got out of 45-70, so....I think it'll do fine for thinning out the turtles in my ponds. Smile

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it'll do fine for thinning out the turtles in my ponds. Smile

I've shot turtles in a pond from a high angle. As from a helicopter.

55 grain 223 bullets are more than adequate for turtles. The guys using ball ammo made quick work of turtles, even with off-center hits. Lots of water in the air, with parts flying.

I shot them with 55 grain VMax bullets. Spectacular splashes of turtle parts, fountain-like water eruption, nice turtle-parts slick on the surface.

You don't need 458 -- 223 does it for substantially less cost per round, less recoil, possibly greater accuracy, and greater expansion in a small critter.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just got out of 45-70, so....I think it'll do fine for thinning out the turtles in my ponds. Smile

Your turtles must be the size of elephants

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your turtles must be the size of elephants

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Exactly what I’m trying to prevent.
I’m providing a vital public service. Big Grin

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you miss they'll probably red mist from the water pressure! Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Target sports USA has some for $1.70 per round.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
[thread drift]Um, why shoot turtles?[thread drift]

This is a curiosity question, not a moral one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
[thread drift]Um, why shoot turtles?[thread drift]

This is a curiosity question, not a moral one.

Probably a nuisance in his area.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
They eat baby ducks.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You'll need to be reloading if you're serious about shooting this beast regularly. Starline is excellent brass.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/...ses/458-SOCOM-Brass/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Reload, reload, reload!, research Marty Terweem and his reload data!!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post