SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
She turned 14, wanted a job, filled out the required paperwork and asked the owner if he would hire her. She works Saturdays. He will be open Tuesday. I'll email you his contact info. Small little shop.

you are in the RVA area, correct??

would like to know what shop as well, if you don't mind,
not interested in the ruger, but always looking at other stuff

Brothers n arms in goochland. Small tiny shop. Decent ammo prices for around here. Excellent consignment 80/20 90 days

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'll have to give the CZ's a closer look. The mannlicher is sexy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
When Abby was 5-6 I came across a Sears Ranger bolt action built by Glenfield at the local gunshow for $60 the stock had been cut down for a youth ... Just an idea!

The rest of the story is that she didn't like it so I found an original stock on eBay for $15, its got a rear peep and front blade ... it's a good shooter and a keeper, I've even thought of getting it threaded to suppress but I think that'll be more than I have in the gun!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Arc, don’t over look the Anschutz rifles as well. You can get less expensive versions used at very reasonable prices. You don’t have to buy the top of the line target version.

By the way, most models share the same barrel and bolt. I have a 1412 that shoots so well with open sights I won’t put a scope on it. I found it a few years ago at a local pawn shop for less than $200!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I didn't know 77/22's were gone? I recently bought a new one in 22mag. But in any case if you can't get a 77/22 my recommendation is the CZ 455. I have a few 77/22's and CZ's. The CZ is 95% of the gun at 60% of the cost. With the added benefit of caliber conversion and readily available parts. No reservations that you will be totally happy with the CZ.

They are listed on the Ruger site in .22 Hornet if it's Ruger you mean.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
+1 for the CZ 455 scout- I bought one for my now 7 yr old daughter last summer as her first rifle, and she had a ball with it.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

The CZ 455 scout is on my short list for my son. Goes from single shot bolt to magazine fed. Can swap a full size stock on it later when he gets bigger. Comes with iron sights. Barrel is 1/2x28 threaded so I can run my can.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

The CZ 455 scout is on my short list for my son. Goes from single shot bolt to magazine fed. Can swap a full size stock on it later when he gets bigger. Comes with iron sights. Barrel is 1/2x28 threaded so I can run my can.

All 3 of my kids have one for the all the things you mentioned. Myself having 5 other CZ455's I can move stocks and barrel around as needed while sharing parts throughout.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
CZ

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arcwelder

Down the line I'll be building an M1 Carbine pattern 10/22 for the boy (well, me too.)

Like this one?: GB 773444387.
Not mine but I shop there frequently. Great dealer.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
An old Savage Anschutz 64 Match are a good little diopter sight rifle that can be found in nice condition for $500-$600.

mine did this today at 25y with the irons, and I am not a good open sight shooter.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:

Down the line I'll be building an M1 Carbine pattern 10/22 for the boy (well, me too.)

I've never searched by auction number. Next time just post the linky.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:

I've never searched by auction number. Next time just post the linky.

just plug that number in the search bar

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773444387

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
She turned 14, wanted a job, filled out the required paperwork and asked the owner if he would hire her. She works Saturdays. He will be open Tuesday. I'll email you his contact info. Small little shop.

you are in the RVA area, correct??

would like to know what shop as well, if you don't mind,
not interested in the ruger, but always looking at other stuff

Brothers n arms in goochland. Small tiny shop. Decent ammo prices for around here. Excellent consignment 80/20 90 days

thanks for that,

My brother has been in that shop a few times

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good little shop. It is where i picked up the p85, today the owner wants to show me a ppks that came in. I may wait till tomorrow when my mk23 arrives.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ Full stock. It's a beautiful rifle and very accurate.

However it only holds 5 rounds.

The now vintage Ruger 77/22 edges it out with it's 10/22 magazine, however uses Ruger scope rings.

The new Ruger American Rimfire is inexpensive, has a WONDERFUL trigger and uses 10/22 goodies.

I like it so much, I bought 2 for my NV setups.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I have a CZ Full stock. It's a beautiful rifle and very accurate.

However it only holds 5 rounds.

CZ makes 5, 10, and 25 round magazines, plus single-shot dummy magazines, for its rimfire rifles.

Just because the rifles come with 5-round magazines doesn't mean that's all there is.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I’ve picked up a couple of old Remington single shot 22’s over the years for just that reason. I bought a 514 last fall for $100 at a pawn shop. You can’t beat them for training kids and other new shooters.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anschutz

I have several from my earlier competition years, and the CZ and the 77/22 and a bunch of others.
But I would never recommend an Anschutz for anyone who does not need exactly what it is. And that is not what was asked for in the original post.
Parts are really a problem (and I luckily am within driving distance of a superstar on fixing this type of unique gun).
As I stated above get a CZ 455 and a caliber conversion if you want the noted .17.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
CZ all day, everyday and twice on Sunday. I just don’t think you will find a better sweet spot for value vs performance. CZ makes a rifle that they happen to chamber in .22. Most others make a .22 into a rifle like package.

The Ruger 77 is pretty damn good.
Any Anschutz is going to be AWESOME.
Coopers/Kimbers etc. make damn fine .22s

All that being said the CZ 452/455 is just a sweet spot of craftsmanship, quality, accuracy, durability and price IMO. I love my 452s, especially my full stock.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post