SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your choice for a .22lr bolt with irons? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
When I was a kid, I first learned to shoot at camp, on what I think now were full size surplus military trainers, because that's what they could get. I don't recall any "chipmunk" size rifles being available at Riflery.

It saddens me that the camp I went to doesn't have Riflery anymore.

Anyway, My knee jerk is to get a 77/22, but they stopped making them. What is your choice for a currently available .22 bolt that is boy accessible, but not necessarilly full chipmunk.

Down the line I'll be building an M1 Carbine pattern 10/22 for the boy (well, me too.)

A decent .22 bolt is in order. Maybe later I'll get a really fancy one, I know they're out there.

Though, that later rifle may be .17hmr, because of the increased utility of the round.

Thoughts? I'm not opposed to finding used models of any kind, if it's a good rifle.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
What you are looking for is a CZ.

Several models available with irons.

455 Scout For the smaller shooter

455 Training Rifle Full size

455 Lux Full size

455 Ultra Lux Full size

455 FS (Mannlicher) Full Size and very pretty

Most of these guns can go from 22 LR, 22 WMR, or 17 HMR with a simple barrel change. You can grow with them and they are very easy on the wallet compared to others. You may be able to find used CZ 452's that are also great. Can't change the barrels on those though.

Good luck and enjoy.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arc,

My daughter works at a local GS, he has a beautiful 77/22 on consignment.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
My daughter works at a local GS, he has a beautiful 77/22 on consignment.

Sounds like a pretty progressive gun shop.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She turned 14, wanted a job, filled out the required paperwork and asked the owner if he would hire her. She works Saturdays. He will be open Tuesday. I'll email you his contact info. Small little shop.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Depending on which direction you want to go - Savage has the FVT trainer style rifles. It's a Mark II rifle so you might be able to drop it in a shorter LOP stock for the formitive years, or cut it down and restock it later.

Mark I single shot and Mark II mag-fed.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
As in your other thread, I'd go for the Ruger 77/22 if I could find one in .22LR at a reasonable price. If not, then the Ruger American Rimfire Wood Stock.

The 77/22 is the most "real rifle" feeling .22 I have ever handled, and it is a work of art. They are expensive, and currently not offered by Ruger in .22LR, only .22 Hornet, which is a much more powerful and expensive center fire cartridge.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
CZ 452 Lux.

New production i would pick the 455 Trainer.

Very high quality sights, and the tangent sights are properly regulated as such you can actually hit from 25 to 200 meters within the constraints of your ammunition capability.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ's are the way to go for a quality 22 bolt gun. Even if someone would part with Kimber 22 it wouldn't have Irons unless it was one of the match models..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look around for a Winchester Wildcat. Made in Turkey for Winchester. Mine came with 5 magazines. Accurate and looks pretty nice, with the exception of a few plastic parts. It was cheap, too.
you cant go wrong with Ruger or CZ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
CZ

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
CZ.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
CZ 455....aside from being a long time advocate and user, I just posted a 455 Standard in the classifieds. If youre after a bit fancier stick, the Lux is what you want. Like you, I had 0 iron sighted rimfires outside of my kids 455 Scouts. Found these on sale last week and brought a few in.

https://www.czub.cz/en/produkt...cz-455-standard.html

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A few years ago there would've been some neat Russian rifles still around. CZ would be a great way to go.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My first 22 was a CZ513 BASIC (non-adjustable trigger). My next was a 452 2E-ZKM. Both take the same mags. 22 bolts can be addicting.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I bought a CZ 455 Scout to teach my 7-year-old daughter to shoot.

It's a pretty little rifle, and seems reasonably accurate. The trigger is quite good for a stock rifle. The action is a little rough. I don't personally like bolt-shroud-mounted safeties, and to me, the one on the CZ 455 is backwards.

I do like that it comes with a threaded barrel. With subsonic ammo and my Liberty Essence it is basically silent. The click of the firing pin is louder than the sound of the gun firing, and the sound of the bullet hitting the backstop is louder than both.

I learned on air rifles and a chipmunk as a little kid, then switched to a youth-model Anschutz with aperture sights when I was maybe 9 or 10. The basic youth-model Anschutz rifles aren't super expensive, and that rifle was accurate enough to get me to expert in NRA 50-foot 4-position smallbore.

Aperture sights are MUCH easier to shoot accurately than open sights.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
She turned 14, wanted a job, filled out the required paperwork and asked the owner if he would hire her. She works Saturdays. He will be open Tuesday. I'll email you his contact info. Small little shop.

you are in the RVA area, correct??

would like to know what shop as well, if you don't mind,
not interested in the ruger, but always looking at other stuff

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
When I was a kid, I first learned to shoot at camp, on what I think now were full size surplus military trainers, because that's what they could get. I don't recall any "chipmunk" size rifles being available at Riflery.

It saddens me that the camp I went to doesn't have Riflery anymore.

Anyway, My knee jerk is to get a 77/22, but they stopped making them. What is your choice for a currently available .22 bolt that is boy accessible, but not necessarilly full chipmunk.

Down the line I'll be building an M1 Carbine pattern 10/22 for the boy (well, me too.)

A decent .22 bolt is in order. Maybe later I'll get a really fancy one, I know they're out there.

Though, that later rifle may be .17hmr, because of the increased utility of the round.

Thoughts? I'm not opposed to finding used models of any kind, if it's a good rifle.

if you what what you may have shot as a kid, there are plenty of 513T's on the marked in great shape,

22 target market is a bit depressed now, so there area few deals to be had

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CZ bolt guns are really nice. A friend of mine has a 455 and he can swap out barrels between 22lr and 17hmr. His 455 and my 452 are very accurate.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know 77/22's were gone? I recently bought a new one in 22mag. But in any case if you can't get a 77/22 my recommendation is the CZ 455. I have a few 77/22's and CZ's. The CZ is 95% of the gun at 60% of the cost. With the added benefit of caliber conversion and readily available parts. No reservations that you will be totally happy with the CZ.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post